GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Could use a bit of GS purchasing advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 10:56 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PsykotiK
the prices will go down more the closer it gets to t he end of the year..I ju I wouldn't limit myself to CPO cars either.. I bought a a model year newer with less miles than what i would have CPO

I just got a private party 2015gs 350 with 55k miles. I do not think I got a STEAL on the price but I looked at well over 10 gs350 and most we not what I consider clean. I would factor that into your search as well. I will most certainly pay 1-2k more for a clean one.

I would find the one you want and give them your price and then walk away when they say they cant sell it for that. 9/10 they will call you back within a fews days.

I had one I liked at a dealership and they said "the price is the price" after I offered $1200 lower than asking. They called me 2 days later and said they would take my offer. I said, sorry already found a car!
The following users liked this post:
DeepBlue99 (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 10:57 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
A really good time to shop for cars around here is Black Friday. Everyone is at the malls and nobody is in the dealership. Last time I bought a car on 2004 Black Friday my family was the only people in the dealership and they even tried to sell my 15 year old niece a car. I wound up getting a current year 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata after all rebates and haggling for $19,500 on a $26,000 stickered car.

On used cars, the amount of wiggle room is even greater. Use something like iseecars.com to see how long the car has been on the lot. I found a few bargains that weren't moving because of either market or conditions and they were very willing to deal on a car that wasn't getting any love.
Great stuff! Thanks very much!

I usually look at CarGurus, they list # of days for sale. Holidays is killer time for dealers here as well. I helped a buddy pickup a mint 1yo Miata last December. On top of everything else... everyone involved had a pretty clear understanding that being a convertible, it would most likely not be rolling off that lot until upstate NY thawed. Hence, it was relatively easy to close that deal.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-25-18 at 11:01 AM.
Knucklebus (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 01:38 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,166 Likes on 861 Posts

I would recommend continuing to look as the inventory for 2016 lease returns will come in slowly over the next 6 months. Your more likely to get the best deal on a 2016 lease return once the ball drops and we are officially in 2019.

I would think by first quarter 2019 is when the most available lease returns are back in, they CPO them and there's more competition among dealers lowering the price for you. Salesman I spoke to yesterday said March 2019 is when most of the 2016 returns will happen on most of their leases but it could vary dealership to dealership.
Old 09-25-18, 06:57 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I would recommend continuing to look as the inventory for 2016 lease returns will come in slowly over the next 6 months. Your more likely to get the best deal on a 2016 lease return once the ball drops and we are officially in 2019.

I would think by first quarter 2019 is when the most available lease returns are back in, they CPO them and there's more competition among dealers lowering the price for you. Salesman I spoke to yesterday said March 2019 is when most of the 2016 returns will happen on most of their leases but it could vary dealership to dealership.
I don't think the 2016's will hit the dealers until December/January, and then only in very small quantities. Like you, I had my heart set on a 2016 and was prepared to wait a few months for the '16 lease returns. I expected the prices to be in the low to mid $30's, which was close to the top of my self-imposed budget, but...

I took a look at an 18 F Sport from a dealer with a fully online buying experience, with a $5,500 lease rebate plus another $5,500 dealer discount and no junk fees, just tax and registration, I couldn't pass it up. A sub $500 pymt, $5K down, 3yr 36K miles, $26.8K residual. I did the numbers upside-down, sideways, anyway I could think of, and it still made sense to lease now, and purchase in 3 yrs. Right now the same 3 yr old car is costing $33-35K + tax & title. Afraid I was only seeing the rosy side of the issue, I even asked my wife to knock holes in my reasoning, but surprisingly, she agreed with my position.

I have always purchased, because I keep my cars a long time (my last car purchase was in 2003), so this is my first lease... and I fully intend to buy it, so mileage limits be damned.

Maybe you might want to look into leasing an 18 F Sport, ML, Power Trunk, IPA?

Last edited by chinee; 09-25-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 07:22 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chinee
I don't think the 2016's will hit the dealers until December/January, and then only in very small quantities. Like you, I had my heart set on a 2016 and was prepared to wait a few months for the '16 lease returns. I expected the prices to be in the low to mid $30's, which was close to the top of my self-imposed budget, but...

I took a look at an 18 F Sport from a dealer with a fully online buying experience, with a $5,500 lease rebate plus another $5,500 dealer discount and no junk fees, just tax and registration, I couldn't pass it up. A sub $500 pymt, $5K down, 3yr 36K miles, $26.8K residual. I did the numbers upside-down, sideways, anyway I could think of, and it still made sense to lease now, and purchase in 3 yrs. Right now the same 3 yr old car is costing $33-35K + tax & title. Afraid I was only seeing the rosy side of the issue, I even asked my wife to knock holes in my reasoning, but surprisingly, she agreed with my position.

I have always purchased, because I keep my cars a long time (my last car purchase was in 2003), so this is my first lease... and I fully intend to buy it, so mileage limits be damned.

Interesting... I must admit, I have never even considered going this route. It sounds like you caught a hell of a deal. Cursory search shows that Lexus is currently offering a $3k lease rebate on GSs, and I don't see anything in terms of rebates from a couple of local dealers I checked. I also don't see any dealers offering an online buying experience.

I must admit, I am quite allergic to leasing cars. Last and only car I leased was in 2005 and it was a pretty bad experience. Things have changed a bit since then, and I can totally live with the mileage/year limit and will be very interested in purchasing car at lease end.

Just curious, what sort of options did you pick out? Since people normally keep the lease options low, did you still equip it like you wanted since you stated that your plan was to buy it at lease end.

I will have to look into this.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-25-18 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 07:51 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
Interesting... I must admit, I have never even considered going this route. It sounds like you caught a hell of a deal. Cursory search shows that Lexus is currently offering a $3k lease rebate on GSs, and I don't see anything in terms of rebates from a couple of local dealers I checked. I also don't see any dealers offering an online buying experience.

I must admit, I am quite allergic to leasing cars. Last and only car I leased was in 2005 and it was a pretty bad experience. Things have changed a bit since then, and I can totally live with the mileage/year limit and will be very interested in purchasing car at lease end.

Just curious, what sort of options did you pick out? Since people normally keep the lease options low, did you still equip it like you wanted since you stated that your plan was to buy it at lease end.

I will have to look into this.
$3K rebate is for purchases, $5.5K for leases, maybe that's region-specific to South Florida? But I sent you a PM with some details.
Old 09-25-18, 09:04 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chinee

I'm actually not in the market as I own a '13 GS - was just offering up some advice to the OP. My family may be in the market for an SUV and the salesman we spoke to indicated that most of their SUV and car leases for 2016 are coming back in 1st quarter 2019 and will be offered as CPO deals.

I'm glad you found the right deal and made it work for your budget - there is also the option to lease to buy a CPO car (not too many dealers advertise this but I know they are willing to lease a certified, pre-owned car as well - they were willing to do $1875 down and something like $380/month when I looking to purchase my '13 CPO GS).
DeepBlue99 (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 07:24 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I'm actually not in the market as I own a '13 GS - was just offering up some advice to the OP. My family may be in the market for an SUV and the salesman we spoke to indicated that most of their SUV and car leases for 2016 are coming back in 1st quarter 2019 and will be offered as CPO deals.

I'm glad you found the right deal and made it work for your budget - there is also the option to lease to buy a CPO car (not too many dealers advertise this but I know they are willing to lease a certified, pre-owned car as well - they were willing to do $1875 down and something like $380/month when I looking to purchase my '13 CPO GS).
Thanks very much!

This is just the sort of info I was looking for. Leasing a CPO is unlikely to be a good option for me as long term ownership is the goal and I am willing to put down a significant down payment thereby all but guaranteeing manageable monthly payments.
Old 09-26-18, 07:54 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Well, dealers wanna sell cars. Look all the time. If you see the car you really want, drive it and make an offer. If they say no, well you are no worse off then when you started. In fact, you are better off because you learned something. Also, price is important to all of us, but by all means get the car you want. Good luck.
UDel (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 08:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well, dealers wanna sell cars. Look all the time. If you see the car you really want, drive it and make an offer. If they say no, well you are no worse off then when you started. In fact, you are better off because you learned something. Also, price is important to all of us, but by all means get the car you want. Good luck.
Agree, start looking now, have a great deal price and work from that, it does not hurt to make offers now even if they are low, you may be surprised that a place may agree to a low offer to get a sale now especially if the buyer does not seem to be in a hurry to buy a car. You may miss a great deal on a perfect car if you just wait for some opportune time based on certain dates to start looking and making offers.
Old 09-26-18, 08:30 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UDel
Agree, start looking now, have a great deal price and work from that, it does not hurt to make offers now even if they are low, you may be surprised that a place may agree to a low offer to get a sale now especially if the buyer does not seem to be in a hurry to buy a car. You may miss a great deal on a perfect car if you just wait for some opportune time based on certain dates to start looking and making offers.
I've actually been looking for quite a while but I originally started with a 2015 before deciding to follow my dream and go with 2016. Although, there is now a huge variety of 2015s available at great prices, 2016s pickings are pretty slim.

I will certainly keep an eye out but, the best if not the most palatable answer is to wait.
Old 09-26-18, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Well, I happen to think 2015 is the sweet spot for the GS. But I'm biased.

I bought my 15 in December 2015. It was one of the last 2015s that they had. At that time, they had just received their first two 2016s. So I would not expect to see many 2016 lease returns popping up until after the first of the year.

Good luck in your search!
Old 09-26-18, 10:53 AM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Well, I happen to think 2015 is the sweet spot for the GS. But I'm biased.

I bought my 15 in December 2015. It was one of the last 2015s that they had. At that time, they had just received their first two 2016s. So I would not expect to see many 2016 lease returns popping up until after the first of the year.

Good luck in your search!
Please don't get me started again... I barely made it over that hurdle last time.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-26-18 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 11:22 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
Please don't get me started again... I barely made it of that hurdle last time.
Best deals on 2016's i've seen around the northeast/ny area:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8593/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0292/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5277/overview/