2013 Lexus GS turn signal won't turn off after turn is made - help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 04:13 AM
fernicus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus GS turn signal won't turn off after turn is made - help

Hi guys,
When I'm making my turn - either left or right - my turn signal in my GS will not shut off. It stays on if I'm making a slight turn but will shut off when I'm making a larger right or left turn. My other Lexus' never did that and would turn off on the slightest turn I made in the direction of signal. Can I repair this myself? I know about the slight tap turn and shuts off after 2 -3 flashes but this doesn't in the full turn press.
Hope I explained myself properly. Thanks
Old 10-01-18, 10:08 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Sounds like your turn signal is functioning normally. You can turn it off by tapping it in the opposite direction.
Old 10-01-18, 01:09 PM
macnugget
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gs will not cancel with just a little turn on the steering wheel. So it sounds like it's normal.
Old 10-01-18, 01:31 PM
eddie420

Received 633 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by fernicus
Hi guys,
When I'm making my turn - either left or right - my turn signal in my GS will not shut off. It stays on if I'm making a slight turn but will shut off when I'm making a larger right or left turn. My other Lexus' never did that and would turn off on the slightest turn I made in the direction of signal. Can I repair this myself? I know about the slight tap turn and shuts off after 2 -3 flashes but this doesn't in the full turn press.
Hope I explained myself properly. Thanks
No, this is normal. This is something I had to get used to with the whole electronic blinker... it's annoying because even taking a turn, the blinker stays on. On the older cars with the analog stick, turning slightly would reset it. Unfortunately this is by design. :|
Old 10-01-18, 06:23 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

It will literally take you 2-5 weeks to get used to the turn signal on this car if you are used to one that has mechanical detents on it.

I have no idea why Lexus just didn't use the same turn signal stalk out of the ES. The 13-18 ES turn signal stalk still has a mechanical detent to it. They probably left it in there because the 60+ demographic that often buys ES would go bat**** insane if they had to deal with the GS's turn signal...

In reality its CLOSE to the same as the mechanical one, in terms of turning off after a slight turn, etc. But it is still different. Different enough to be annoying. The difference is the trickery everyone subconciously employs with turn signals doesn't work so hot on electronic turn signals. For example, if you're doing a manuver where you want that signal to stay on even though you know its going to cancel when you move a certain way, on an old school system you just hold it down to keep it from resetting. This instead of pushing it all the way down you're better off just gently pressing it in (whatever direction you want) and then letting go when you're done your complicated maneuver.

The whole situation is kind of stupid but it's not the end of the world. I do kinda laugh though at how easy my ES 330's turn signal is to use though, comparatively speaking.

-Mike
Old 10-01-18, 06:58 PM
fernicus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
It will literally take you 2-5 weeks to get used to the turn signal on this car if you are used to one that has mechanical detents on it.

I have no idea why Lexus just didn't use the same turn signal stalk out of the ES. The 13-18 ES turn signal stalk still has a mechanical detent to it. They probably left it in there because the 60+ demographic that often buys ES would go bat**** insane if they had to deal with the GS's turn signal...

In reality its CLOSE to the same as the mechanical one, in terms of turning off after a slight turn, etc. But it is still different. Different enough to be annoying. The difference is the trickery everyone subconciously employs with turn signals doesn't work so hot on electronic turn signals. For example, if you're doing a manuver where you want that signal to stay on even though you know its going to cancel when you move a certain way, on an old school system you just hold it down to keep it from resetting. This instead of pushing it all the way down you're better off just gently pressing it in (whatever direction you want) and then letting go when you're done your complicated maneuver.

The whole situation is kind of stupid but it's not the end of the world. I do kinda laugh though at how easy my ES 330's turn signal is to use though, comparatively speaking.

-Mike
so true, guys. All my other Lexus' - and I love them! - had a simple turn to shut the damn sucker off even my 08 gs but not the 2013. bites I have to say but still love the car. I literally have to force it back to shut it off which is a bummer. thanks all.
Old 10-01-18, 10:21 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fernicus
so true, guys. All my other Lexus' - and I love them! - had a simple turn to shut the damn sucker off even my 08 gs but not the 2013. bites I have to say but still love the car. I literally have to force it back to shut it off which is a bummer. thanks all.
All this having been said, under most normal turns it should just shut off on its own after the turn is completed. Mine will even turn off on most onramps when I go to straighten out to get on the next highway. If it's not working at least that well, then you might want to have a dealer check it out.

-Mike
Old 10-02-18, 03:11 AM
eddie420

Mine does not turn off on on ramps which I wish they would. I have the column sitting right next to me... time for my next mod... retrofit ES350 blinker on the GS! Just kidding...I think...
Old 10-02-18, 06:11 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Mine does not turn off on on ramps which I wish they would. I have the column sitting right next to me... time for my next mod... retrofit ES350 blinker on the GS! Just kidding...I think...
you're not kidding at all. Do it now while the dash is apart!

At this rate you'll keep adding projects and never put your GS back together

Honestly I've never had an issue with the blinker. It works the same for me in my GS as it does in any car

Last edited by np20412; 10-02-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 06:17 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

If you are making slight turns, just pull it lightly instead of all the way so it flickers 3 times(or you can reprogram it to flicker 5 or 7 times).
Old 10-02-18, 09:23 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by np20412
you're not kidding at all. Do it now while the dash is apart!

At this rate you'll keep adding projects and never put your GS back together

Honestly I've never had an issue with the blinker. It works the same for me in my GS as it does in any car
I ain't kidding. LOL. This is an older picture from yesterday afternoon, the dash is all torn down to the nuts and bolts sitting in my garage. Taking a little breather before continuing.

Old 10-02-18, 10:29 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I ain't kidding. LOL. This is an older picture from yesterday afternoon, the dash is all torn down to the nuts and bolts sitting in my garage. Taking a little breather before continuing.
I see you've made a lot of progress this weekend. Make sure you take a lot of pics for the adaptive cruise control retrofit

Old 10-02-18, 01:25 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by peasodos
I see you've made a lot of progress this weekend. Make sure you take a lot of pics for the adaptive cruise control retrofit
Lots of progress indeed. Don't worry, taking pictures step by step.

Old 10-02-18, 01:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,606 Posts

The following users liked this post:
StrangeRov (04-25-23)