GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus vs Acura when it comes to service

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18 | 12:15 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Default Lexus vs Acura when it comes to service

I guess Lexus really does spoil its customers..... I have an older MDX that I dropped off today for some extra work and the difference in atmosphere and personal service was surprising. These two dealerships are right next door to one another, and I left Acura feeling like I had just stopped in at Ford or Chevy....nothing was explained, they had to chase down the "reserved" loaner for me (which had grease on the steering column), some papers were practically shoved in my face for me to sign, and I was waved away in the direction of my loaner vehicle with a half-hearted "Have a good day, we'll call you." I was thoroughly nonplussed. /endrant

Anyone else have similar experiences with other "luxury" brands?

side note.....the quality of ILX they gave me is also disappointing after the comfort of my '15 GS....ride was rough, wind/road/engine noise was high, and oomph was lacking.....do the GS and IS differ in the same way?
Old 10-09-18 | 12:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Our Acura dealer was the same way. I just felt like I was taking it to a Honda dealer. Not bad service by any means, but nothing like my Lexus dealer with loaners, coffee bar, etc.

The IS is not as refined as the GS, but it's nothing like an ILX. I never found my IS to be rough or noisy, it just wasn't as quiet as the GS.
Old 10-09-18 | 12:26 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

My experience is just the opposite. Just had oil change done on our '17 MDX Sport Hybrid. The SA was very attentive and detailed. He went over everything needed for the car.
When I go to Longo Lexus for service, I'm treated like a bastard child. Granted the waiting area at Lexus is much nicer and I do get "free" loaner cars with Lexus but IMO the personal service I received from Acura is commendable.

FYI, Acura is not really a "luxury" brand. It's barely better than Honda. Cheaper interiors than Lexus. You get what you paid for. I prefer Lexus styling and Acura service.
Old 10-09-18 | 12:33 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
Our Acura dealer was the same way. I just felt like I was taking it to a Honda dealer. Not bad service by any means, but nothing like my Lexus dealer with loaners, coffee bar, etc.

The IS is not as refined as the GS, but it's nothing like an ILX. I never found my IS to be rough or noisy, it just wasn't as quiet as the GS.
I’m sure it’s dependent on the dealer but another knock on Acura not being a lux brand and just more premium like an Avalon instead of the lux es level of car. The tsx used to be the international accord so I wonder if that’s the same for the ilx or tlx
Old 10-09-18 | 12:53 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Dealership service levels vary from brand to brand. Some folks will swear that certain dealership offer better levels of care and customer service. I think it just depends on the dealership. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a Toyota dealership treats customers better than a Lexus dealership in some cases and vice versa.

I'd take my GS to a great Toyota dealership before ever taking it to a poorly rated Lexus dealership.

Last edited by AJLex19; 10-09-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-09-18 | 12:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Can't beat Lexus service. I always get ES or RX for loaners when I service my RC. Told my SA I want a bigger car and he said take whatever u want.
Old 10-09-18 | 01:47 PM
GS3Tek

My dealer is also great. Notthing to complain here. I also have good experience with Elmore Toyota.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Can't beat Lexus service. I always get ES or RX for loaners when I service my RC. Told my SA I want a bigger car and he said take whatever u want.
any car lexus car is bigger than an RC
Old 10-09-18 | 02:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I have had mostly good experiences at Acura dealerships, people were kind, good work, reasonable bills, some Lexus dealerships have been very unimpressive and my experience not so great. Nothing to really complain about, some Acura dealerships are very nice, others not nice, some Lexus dealerships not very nice while others are small and cramped. Plus there is the heart attack inducing service/repair bills/quotes you get at Lexus dealerships where normally for Acura's they are pretty reasonable. I try to stay away from dealerships as much as possible, if I go I either get dropped off or take a loaner so the pretty waiting room does nothing for me, I usually just read magazines or go online when I am there anyway.
Old 10-09-18 | 05:51 PM
signdetres
Racer

I've had pretty awful service experiences at multiple Infiniti dealers throughout SoCal. Beverly Hills Infiniti by far was the most horrible, unprofessional & sad excuse of a service department. Was part of the reason why when my lease was up on my 2015 Q50S and I was about to sign for a 2018 Q50 Red Sport, I changed my mind at the last second and went next door to Lexus and never looked back.

The dealership experience in general wasn't very different from Ford back when I had a Mustang & Fusion.

Have always had good experiences getting our past Mercedes serviced. Although, once we had a GL450 that was brand new and needed an engine replacement only a couple thousand miles in. The techs at the dealership didn't properly connect or secure a bunch of things and while driving, the fluids just drained out from underneath the car. Lost steering, braking power, etc. but luckily it was while trying to park after an hour long commute. While not an ideal experience, I understand mistakes happen. We had the car towed back to the dealership and Mercedes was actually very helpful and understood our frustrations and wrote us a check for the full amount that we paid. We turned around and left with a brand new ML63 AMG.

Last edited by signdetres; 10-09-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-09-18 | 08:56 PM
spiveyb
Driver

I thoroughly enjoy the Lexus service. Regardless if you bring in an older model or newer model, they treat you the same. A bonus feature that I just found out during my last service, is you're allowed to keep the loaner up to 24 hrs from the time they call you. I definitely plan on taking advantage from this point on.
Old 10-09-18 | 09:13 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Next time request an LS, LC, or even an LX.
Old 10-10-18 | 09:13 AM
sueszo
Driver School Candidate

I haven't owned an Acura in a while but the Acura dealer I bought my car from was much better than Lexus. They didn't have a fancy waiting area with pastries and a variety of beverages but every time I brought my car in for service I was met at my car by service advisor who seemed to be a "car guy". He took a genuine interest in my car. Now, when I go to the Lexus dealer my car is wisked away from me on the service drive and I have to wait to be called by my service advisor and then taken to his office. He usually starts off recommending things to be done to my car before they have even inspected it.He never even sees my car. I find this somewhat frustrating.
Old 10-10-18 | 09:57 AM
kingofire
Advanced

My Acura service department is great. They come to my house and drop off the loaner car which is always clean and they pick up my car to get serviced. When the car is ready someone drops it off and I sign paperwork and off they go. Sometimes time is worth more than anything else.
Old 10-10-18 | 10:28 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

They come pick your car up? hot damn.
Old 10-10-18 | 11:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jessalynn
They come pick your car up? hot damn.
I always think that's nice until I picture a stranger driving my car from my house or workplace, through rush hour traffic, to the dealership, and back.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs Acura when it comes to service