GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Would you like more of these kind of how-to posts?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

[HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 11:55 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

To the OP or anyone else that knows, I have a couple of questions.

What are the items that need to come off to get access to the instrument cluster to replace the clear instrument cluster screen?
To me it looks like I need to remove the climate/stereo bezel and unit, the clock, the footwell trim, trim above steering wheel and the left vent wood trim and then the instrument cluster arch. Am I missing something?
What are the items that need to come off to remove the passenger side wood trim above the glove box? There is an intermittent rattle over near the passenger vent by the door.
Looks like I need to remove the climate/stereo bezel and unit, the clock, the passenger footwell trim and the glove box. Anything else?
The following users liked this post:
edoggie (03-30-21)
Old 02-23-20, 04:18 PM
Vunguyen11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could not disassemble my dash

Originally Posted by eddie420
Finished product showing no errors on the meter and with the HUD in action.

I tried to disassemble my dash to install remote starter kit. However, I could not take of the dash under the steering wheel where is the Parking button at. It looked like there is a screw inside. Could you please help me? Thank you
Old 02-23-20, 04:20 PM
Vunguyen11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This part

Originally Posted by Vunguyen11
I tried to disassemble my dash to install remote starter kit. However, I could not take of the dash under the steering wheel where is the Parking button at. It looked like there is a screw inside. Could you please help me? Thank you

this part
Old 02-24-20, 01:25 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Outstanding, thank you for the tutorial!
eddie420 (02-26-20)
Old 02-25-20, 01:55 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I can remove HUD retrofit from my "to-do list". I knew it would be a project, but there is no way it's worth all that. Not to me anyway.
Old 02-25-20, 02:23 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
Well, I can remove HUD retrofit from my "to-do list". I knew it would be a project, but there is no way it's worth all that. Not to me anyway.
Eddie did the HUD retrofit the hardest way possible. I removed the instrument cluster, used a dremel tool with extension, and a template to cut the dash.
eddie420 (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 05:39 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Haha, this was more about learning my car than about installing the HUD. You can easily install the HUD with a dremel and a template, no reason to take apart your entire dash to do it.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Eddie did the HUD retrofit the hardest way possible. I removed the instrument cluster, used a dremel tool with extension, and a template to cut the dash.
Wondering who you got that perfect, cut from a surgical knife, template from. LOL
Old 02-26-20, 05:41 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Vunguyen11
this part
It looks like you did not remove any of the other pieces. You have to remove the driver side knee padding and the plastic cover around the radio. Then you'll be able to remove it. You cannot remove it the way you are showing it in your picture, the pieces are interlocked.
Im2bz2p345 (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 05:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

It looks like you did not remove any of the other pieces. You have to remove the driver side knee padding and the plastic cover around the radio. Then you'll be able to remove it. You cannot remove it the way you are showing it in your picture, the pieces are interlocked.
It looks like he already started using a crow bar by the looks of all the scraps and gouges.
eddie420 (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 06:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Wondering who you got that perfect, cut from a surgical knife, template from. LOL
I liked how peasodos used surgical precision to cut his dash hand.

Old 02-26-20, 09:01 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I liked how peasodos used surgical precision to cut his dash hand.
I got the dremel and tool after cutting my hand, before that I was using a metal saw wire, pliers, and a knife. I was cutting the dash the stupid way before I got smart about it.
Old 02-26-20, 09:02 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa eddie comes back and now he's a forum moderator.
Old 02-26-20, 10:31 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Yeah but if I remember correctly, you were sketched out by possibly dremeling the windshield too. It worked out for you, but I'm sure I would end up nicking the windshield if I did it.
Old 02-26-20, 10:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah but if I remember correctly, you were sketched out by possibly dremeling the windshield too. It worked out for you, but I'm sure I would end up nicking the windshield if I did it.
No I was not concerned about the windshield I have a board of wood against the windshield, so if I slipped it would hit that. With the dremel extension tool you have a lot of control, it was easy to cut the dash when I used the right tool.
Old 02-26-20, 10:47 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

No I was not concerned about the windshield I have a board of wood against the windshield, so if I slipped it would hit that. With the dremel extension tool you have a lot of control, it was easy to cut the dash when I used the right tool.
Well if I ever grow a pair big enough to dremel my dash, I'll hit you up for some tips.

Quick Reply: [HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly