GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Would you like more of these kind of how-to posts?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

[HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I got the dremel and tool after cutting my hand, before that I was using a metal saw wire, pliers, and a knife. I was cutting the dash the stupid way before I got smart about it.
Every time I see a thread about the taking the dash apart or about a Heads-Up-Display I think of your bleeding hands!

But you're still the man!

Old 02-28-20, 03:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Every time I see a thread about the taking the dash apart or about a Heads-Up-Display I think of your bleeding hands!

But you're still the man!
I have a permanent cut mark on my middle finger, so every time I look at it I think of that time I was using a knife to cut my dash before I got smart and got a dremel. I got frustrated using the wire saw and accidentally cut myself with the knife.

Old 02-28-20, 06:05 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Old 04-24-20, 06:16 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I know that this is an old post, but I'm having a difficult time removing this trim piece. There seems to be a lot of resistance where it meets the center console. When I try pulling it a little harder, it makes the center console pieces bulge out as if the trim is connected to the center console pieces. Any recommendations? Thanks
Old 04-24-20, 10:38 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
I know that this is an old post, but I'm having a difficult time removing this trim piece. There seems to be a lot of resistance where it meets the center console. When I try pulling it a little harder, it makes the center console pieces bulge out as if the trim is connected to the center console pieces. Any recommendations? Thanks
That's because that piece is tucked into the radio trim. You have to remove the radio trim before you can remove the driver side knee trim. I drew a red line to show you where the pieces are interlocked.

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-25-20)
Old 04-24-20, 08:46 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
That's because that piece is tucked into the radio trim. You have to remove the radio trim before you can remove the driver side knee trim. I drew a red line to show you where the pieces are interlocked.

Thanks! This was really helpful. I was able to remove all of the trim pieces tonight.
Old 04-25-20, 10:51 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
Thanks! This was really helpful. I was able to remove all of the trim pieces tonight.
Glad I could help!
Old 09-29-20, 09:39 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

How much harder would it be if I left the steering wheel on? I guess I would need to tilt the dashboard just to go over the wheel.
Old 09-29-20, 09:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
How much harder would it be if I left the steering wheel on? I guess I would need to tilt the dashboard just to go over the wheel.
You probably can't take the dash out without removing the steering wheel. Curious, Why you need to remove your dash?
Old 09-29-20, 09:49 AM
MX73
Racer

You probably can't take the dash out without removing the steering wheel. Curious, Why you need to remove your dash?
There is a crack running along the seams of the passenger airbag and it's driving me crazy. I took it to Lexus and they dismissed it as a tear. No new dashboard for me. All they could do is recommend me that I repair the tear.

I found a dashboard on ebay in great condition for the same price as a repair. I may bite the bullet and do this myself.
Old 10-12-20, 08:00 AM
MX73
Racer

This guide is a lifesaver! Thank you.

I made some notes along the way. I left the dashboard speaker in since I did not have a low profile 10mm socket or wrench. What I did was move the dashboard out a bit to where I can fit a 10mm socket.
I think you said you did not have to remove the center console. I was going off by memory so I apologize if I misread. It has to be removed.
You don't have to remove the steering wheel. I was able to pivot the dashboard over the column and take the whole dashboard out from the passenger side.

I thought the job would be hard but it was pretty easy. It's just time-consuming. I'm surprised that a lot of things are held on with clips. Down the road and with age, I'm pretty sure this will be a rattlebox.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (10-13-20)
Old 03-29-21, 06:09 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I want to replace the instrument cluster screen b/c it has hard water or other spots that I've been unable to remove that are very annoying in the right light. I even used some plastic polish on a small masked off area to no avail. It's only about $40.00 so I'd much prefer to get a new one.

I'm wondering how much of this I have to remove to get the instrument cluster trim off. Does the stereo and ac trim, clock etc have to come off first? Can that arched instrument trim and the trim above the steering wheel come off with the steering wheel receded or is that why it was recommended to turn of the autoaway function? Does the small piece of wood trim piece below the driver vent have to come off as well?
Old 03-29-21, 06:17 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Eddie did the HUD retrofit the hardest way possible. I removed the instrument cluster, used a dremel tool with extension, and a template to cut the dash.
I just asked a question about this and then saw your post here. Sounds like you did what I want to do which is just get to the instrument cluster clear screen to remove it. I'm wondering what the minium number of pieces to pull of is and if I can do it with the steering wheel receded.

Also, if the steering wheel has to be out can the neg battery terminal be disconnected when the steering wheel is out and will it stay out or retreat when it loses power?

However, now that I'm thinking about this I don't really need to get to any electrical connections and disconnect them so maybe this could be done with the power on or even just buckling the seatbelt so the steering wheel is all the way out.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-29-21, 09:40 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it's illustrated on the first post.

Pull the meter garnish towards you.
Pull the trim around the steering wheel towards you and disconnect the connectors.

Remove the two top and two bottom screws from the meter, disconnect the wire clamp, disconnect the connectors, and remove the meter.
Old 03-30-21, 12:09 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DuB
I think it's illustrated on the first post.

Pull the meter garnish towards you.
Pull the trim around the steering wheel towards you and disconnect the connectors.

Remove the two top and two bottom screws from the meter, disconnect the wire clamp, disconnect the connectors, and remove the meter.
It wasn't entirely clear if certain panels interfered with the ones I want to remove so that's why I was asking.

Quick Reply: [HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly