GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Would you like more of these kind of how-to posts?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

[HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 11:09 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Quick question. Does anyone know if the entire dash has to be replaced for if when the passenger airbag blows?

Or is it just this piece that gets damaged?

Old 09-07-21, 11:12 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ75
Quick question. Does anyone know if the entire dash has to be replaced for if when the passenger airbag blows?

Or is it just this piece that gets damaged?

Entire dashboard. The air bag does not deploy in that area you posted.
Old 09-07-21, 11:21 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MX73
Entire dashboard. The air bag does not deploy in that area you posted.
Interesting. I've been trying to locate photos of where it does but cannot seem to find it. So in that case, can that piece be disassembled from the rest of the dash? Reason I ask is because that piece on the GS F unique only to it. If the passenger bag does not blow through that piece, then I could just source a regular GS 350 dashboard I believe. Only difference between the two should be the top where's no suede on a standard GS right?
Old 09-07-21, 11:27 AM
MX73
Racer

Interesting. I've been trying to locate photos of where it does but cannot seem to find it. So in that case, can that piece be disassembled from the rest of the dash? Reason I ask is because that piece on the GS F unique only to it. If the passenger bag does not blow through that piece, then I could just source a regular GS 350 dashboard I believe. Only difference between the two should be the top where's no suede on a standard GS right?
I'm not 100% on the GS F and the regular GS. I do know that you can disassembled the top dash pad. You may need to find a dashboard that has the HUD cutout if the GS-F is equipped with a HUD.

The deployment cut out for the airbag is about an inch or 2 above the "SRS AIRBAG" text. If you shine a light at the right angle, you can see the deployment lines.
Old 09-07-21, 11:30 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MX73
I'm not 100% on the GS F and the regular GS. I do know that you can disassembled the top dash pad. You may need to find a dashboard that has the HUD cutout if the GS-F is equipped with a HUD.

The deployment cut out for the airbag is about an inch or 2 above the "SRS AIRBAG" text. If you shine a light at the right angle, you can see the deployment lines.
Ok I found a photo of exactly where it pops. Right next to the passenger air vent. Not on the top of the dash like I originally thought. So if that top piece can be removed(I assume it can be since it is sold seperatly), then I can just use a standard GS 350 dash since I don't see any differences other than the mouse fur on top.

Old 09-07-21, 11:34 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Ok I found a photo of exactly where it pops. Right next to the passenger air vent. Not on the top of the dash like I originally thought. So if that top piece can be removed(I assume it can be since it is sold seperatly), then I can just use a standard GS 350 dash since I don't see any differences other than the mouse fur on top.

The top panel can be removed, but you have to remove the entire dash to remove it. The reason for this entire thread was the OP changed the top panel on the dash for the HUD specific one, related to the HUD retrofit. I avoided all that work doing the same mod by cutting the hole in the dash myself with a dremel/extention.

Any GS top panel will work just get the one for hud or without or trace and cut the opening yourself if it applies.
Old 09-07-21, 11:37 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by peasodos
The top panel can be removed, but you have to remove the entire dash to remove it. The reason for this entire thread was the OP changed the top panel on the dash for the HUD specific one, related to the HUD retrofit. I avoided all that work doing the same mod by cutting the hole in the dash myself with a dremel/extention.

Any GS top panel will work just get the one for hud or without or trace and cut the opening yourself if it applies.
Yup, I figured that the whole thing would need to go just to get to that top piece. But in the case of airbag deployment, the entire dash would have to come out either way. Thanks.
Old 09-19-21, 07:05 PM
JustinWang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and Advice Needed w/ Removing Plastic Interior Screw

Hello: I have a ‘16 Lexus GS350 with the “Type B” 12-inch navigation unit.

I’m trying to remove the plastic trim that holds the Nav screen in place to install some aftermarket cables.

That plastic trim is held in place by three plastic screws.

Two of the screw came out without issue but one screw — the middle one — won’t come out no matter how hard I try with a shorty phillips screw driver.

The screw spins separate from the plastic round that holds it in, but won’t come out.

I’m at my wits end but I would strongly prefer not to break the screw off by brute force.

Any advice and suggestion on how to get past this obstacle would be greatly appreciated.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/I7PoUHF/
Old 09-21-21, 07:32 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinWang

I’m trying to remove the plastic trim that holds the Nav screen in place to install some aftermarket cables.

Two of the screw came out without issue but one screw — the middle one — won’t come out no matter how hard I try with a shorty phillips screw driver.

The screw spins separate from the plastic round that holds it in, but won’t come out.

I’m at my wits end but I would strongly prefer not to break the screw off by brute force.

Any advice and suggestion on how to get past this obstacle would be greatly appreciated.

I had to use very light pressure on the screw head to expose some thread. Just enough to yank the screw out.
Old 09-21-21, 04:29 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinWang

You will have to use some pressure to get it out if the screw keeps turning and does not want to come out. It's actually pretty normal the several times I took that trim out. You also won't break the screw. If I remember correctly, those are standard push-in plastic screws.

Old 08-18-22, 07:20 PM
Supraman18
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, ill be using this guide to replace my own Servo motors since Lexus denied me the service bulletin action. Looks like it shouldn't be TOO bad.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (08-18-22)
Old 10-22-22, 05:59 AM
SebastianD
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone here to address a rattle? I’m having the one that sounds like behind the glovebox but can’t locate what, if anyone has a clue please share. Sounds like a broken metal pinch weld noise. It’s a body roll influenced 1-click ticking noise but can do multiple ticks as well.
Old 05-09-23, 09:36 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Anyone ever have a cut on the dashboard repaired? Not sure what happened but near the upper airbag on the passenger side something cut the dash.
Old 05-10-23, 06:34 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by lexo98
Anyone ever have a cut on the dashboard repaired? Not sure what happened but near the upper airbag on the passenger side something cut the dash.
It's seems to be a common issue on the earlier GS. I did a fix once, but the crack will just expand. I ended up replacing the dashboard.
Old 09-15-23, 10:55 AM
khangpham
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi eddie420,

Could you please advise why we need to disable''Autoaway/Return function" i have plan to replace my GS350 2015 dash and also if i buy tis subsciption can i disable it by myself?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: [HOW-TO] Dash Disassembly