GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 F Sport - Levinson Audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 09:29 PM
ghorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 GS 350 F Sport - Levinson Audio

How can I tell whether the GS 350 I'm buying has the Levinson Audio System? I've seen photos where the Mark Levinson logo is just beneath the CD, between it and the AC controls. The one I'm looking at doesn't have that. However, the car I'm looking at also has speakers in the upper part of the rear doors, which seems to indicate that the car DOES have the Mark Levinson system. Can someone clarify? Whatever it is, it sounds excellent. Thanks!
Old 10-11-18, 09:49 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ghorn
How can I tell whether the GS 350 I'm buying has the Levinson Audio System? I've seen photos where the Mark Levinson logo is just beneath the CD, between it and the AC controls. The one I'm looking at doesn't have that. However, the car I'm looking at also has speakers in the upper part of the rear doors, which seems to indicate that the car DOES have the Mark Levinson system. Can someone clarify? Whatever it is, it sounds excellent. Thanks!
im not familiar with the speaker count but it’s always been my understanding that if the car is equipped with ML, you will have the logo on the stereo. I believe this is true for all Lexus models.
The following users liked this post:
ghorn (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 08:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There are two places where it'll have the Mark Levinson logo - above the climate controls, and on the speaker on the rear window shelf.

They will have the speakers in the rear doors (forward of the door handle) regardless of whether they have ML or not.
ghorn (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 11:22 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

The head units are the same, whether ML or not; the only difference is the logo.

I put a stereo without the logo in my 2013, and there was no change in sound.
The amp and the speakers are where the magic happens.
Old 10-12-18, 11:31 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

ML in the GS is straight garbage. Do NOT waste $2,000 on that option.
02REX (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 12:00 PM
02REX
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
You made my day with this comment! lol. I still have my subwoofer from my 3gs and was contemplating putting it in my 4gs. but wasn't sure if the ML was worth trying to source out. Thanks!
Old 10-12-18, 02:24 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I must agree. I prefer the sound of the standard unit in my 14 RX vs. my 18 GS ML.
Old 10-12-18, 02:28 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

After following advice from other members here about how to best finely tune the Mark Levinson audio settings, I’ve been really enjoying it in my ‘18 GS.

My primary audio source is Apple Music via USB and it offers pretty high quality sound - definitely better than using Spotify like I used to.

It’s a definite upgrade over the standard system in our ‘15 GS.
Old 10-12-18, 04:57 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
After following advice from other members here about how to best finely tune the Mark Levinson audio settings, I’ve been really enjoying it in my ‘18 GS.
Yeah? can you share that thread?... searching can sometimes take longer than expected...(scrap that request, found the thread easily)

I've found the ML to be very midrange-focused and I've been disappointed as well. Haven't spent enough time in the GS to truly figure out optimum settings, in fact, only today, I found the settings and shut off the Surround and Sound leveling options...

Last edited by chinee; 10-12-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:06 PM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The standard audio in my 2014 luxury package is outstanding. I’ve listened to the GS ML system and to my ears the standard system sounds better. Better separation, clear, crisp sound. The ML seems to have a more powerful sub, but the the music doesn’t seem to come alive like the standard audio. I noticed the GS standard audio sounds much better the standard audio in other Lexus models (ES, RX, NX, GX). I believe it’s a 300 watt Pioneer head unit; not sure who the speaker manufacture is.
Old 10-13-18, 07:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

There's just not enough bass. I will say it is very crisp at high volume...no distortion. Which is what they advertise. However, it's just really loud, no depth. We rented a Jeep Compass while on vacation (because we flew), and the sound system in that frankly sounded better than my ML GS system. Disappointing. Live and learn I guess.

I've never heard the reference system in the LS, LX and LC. The GX ML system was superb. Even the RX system sounds really good.
Old 10-16-18, 12:38 PM
thedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's just not enough bass. I will say it is very crisp at high volume...no distortion. Which is what they advertise. However, it's just really loud, no depth. We rented a Jeep Compass while on vacation (because we flew), and the sound system in that frankly sounded better than my ML GS system. Disappointing. Live and learn I guess.

I've never heard the reference system in the LS, LX and LC. The GX ML system was superb. Even the RX system sounds really good.
-------------------
By default the standard audio system (Pioneer) has bass and treble boosted. That is why you guys like it, but if you are really into audio (audiophile), you will hear the better difference of the ML system.
First, you just need to adjust the 'Mid' down 2-notch, leave the leave bass and treble flat. Then listen to you music for a day or so before adjust (increase) the Treble/Bass to your liking.
Remember that too much Bass/Treble may seems like good sound but first, they mask out many other good nuances in the song and if you listen to your music for a long period of time, it may cause ear- fatigue.
Mark Levinson is one of the most respected high-end audio manufacturers in the world and Lexus designers are fairly respected. They know their customers are not stupid to pay extra $2000.00 for nothing.
I myself really love the ML sound in my 15' GS350. I have a McIntosh system at home and the sound of my GS350 ML sounds very close. Anyway, <<< This is just my humble opinion >>>
The following 2 users liked this post by thedo:
02REX (10-16-18), jonathancl (10-17-18)
Old 10-17-18, 02:29 PM
garyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to enjoy V-shaped sound, until I bought a pair of Shure SE535s 8 years ago and started listening to genres of music other than rock/electronic. Now I can't stand thumping bass (although deep bass extension is always appreciated!) I actually feel ML still has a bit too muddy bass so I've been experimenting with the fade position
Old 10-17-18, 03:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I had ML in my RX, and it was decent but nothing extraordinary, so when I bought my IS, I didn't bother. I ended up regretting that decision as the base audio in the IS was nothing to write home about. So when I bought the GS I made sure to get ML.

I don't know if the base audio in the GS is the same as what's in the IS, but I have zero complaints with ML in my GS.
Old 10-17-18, 03:31 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by frhill
The standard audio in my 2014 luxury package is outstanding. I’ve listened to the GS ML system and to my ears the standard system sounds better. Better separation, clear, crisp sound. The ML seems to have a more powerful sub, but the the music doesn’t seem to come alive like the standard audio. I noticed the GS standard audio sounds much better the standard audio in other Lexus models (ES, RX, NX, GX). I believe it’s a 300 watt Pioneer head unit; not sure who the speaker manufacture is.
Very true regarding the GS having better audio than the other Lexus models, excluding the LS. I have had several ES and RX loaners while my car was getting serviced, even with ML the audio in the ES and RX isnt nearly as good as in the GS.

Quick Reply: 2015 GS 350 F Sport - Levinson Audio