GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS350 Luxury Package - Brakes & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 12:16 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 GS350 Luxury Package - Brakes & Rotors

Hi all... it has been quite some time since I have posted on here but I need some help. I have a 2013 GS350 with the Luxury Package and from what I understand (I could be wrong), the front brakes and rotors are larger and therefore, different from the base model. I am looking to DIY my front brakes and rotors and don't want to order the wrong size stuff. Can someone confirm whether or not the parts are the same and if not, where can I order the right pads and rotors for my vehicle? Thanks!
Old 10-12-18, 01:53 PM
ethalien
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I believe the only model with larger rotors up front is the F-Sport RWD. iirc, the Lux has the same rotors as the base and the AWD F-Sport.

I have a 2013 Lux also and ordered new rotors and pads for the fronts a few weeks ago and I went through the same dilemma as you trying to figure out what to order.

Unfortunately, I have not put them on yet, but they appear to be the correct diameter when I held them up next to the rotor on the vehicle. Interestingly, the left and right side were different part numbers when I ordered from CARid (Centric® 121.44185 - C-Tek™ Standard Vented Front Passenger Side Brake Rotor SKU18827078) + (Centric® 121.44184 - C-Tek™ Standard Vented Front Driver Side Brake Rotor SKU261312068).

I could not tell a reasoning why there would need to be 2 different part numbers. When I visually compare the two new discs side by side, the grind pattern and all holes in the two rotors appear the same to me. One thing I did notice as being different was the venting ribs between the outboard wear surface and the inboard wear surface of the discs appear to be a different thickness of material. I am not sure if this is a caused simply because they were cast on a different machine or at a different time, or if this is the reason for the different part number. I guess I will see when I finally install them and can compare to what is on the machine right now. Hopefully they are the right diameter rotors.
Old 10-12-18, 02:09 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

I think I was wrong on this one...

Originally Posted by ethalien
I may be wrong, but I believe the only model with larger rotors up front is the F-Sport RWD. iirc, the Lux has the same rotors as the base and the AWD F-Sport.

I have a 2013 Lux also and ordered new rotors and pads for the fronts a few weeks ago and I went through the same dilemma as you trying to figure out what to order.

Unfortunately, I have not put them on yet, but they appear to be the correct diameter when I held them up next to the rotor on the vehicle. Interestingly, the left and right side were different part numbers when I ordered from CARid (Centric® 121.44185 - C-Tek™ Standard Vented Front Passenger Side Brake Rotor SKU18827078) + (Centric® 121.44184 - C-Tek™ Standard Vented Front Driver Side Brake Rotor SKU261312068).

I could not tell a reasoning why there would need to be 2 different part numbers. When I visually compare the two new discs side by side, the grind pattern and all holes in the two rotors appear the same to me. One thing I did notice as being different was the venting ribs between the outboard wear surface and the inboard wear surface of the discs appear to be a different thickness of material. I am not sure if this is a caused simply because they were cast on a different machine or at a different time, or if this is the reason for the different part number. I guess I will see when I finally install them and can compare to what is on the machine right now. Hopefully they are the right diameter rotors.
I ordered the front rotors and pads just now and hope to tackle this project soon (both rotors were different part numbers). Hopefully this goes without any problems
The following users liked this post:
ethalien (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 08:32 PM
ethalien
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can see the thickness difference of the vents here. I just realized the difference, the vents are not verticle from the center, but slanted away from us towards the center in my pic. Crown/center hubs are outboard in my image(left in pic on the left/right in pic on the right. Therefore the vents are acutually opposite clockwise/counterclockwise. Hence the two part numbers. Still confused on the thickness differences but I assume they were made in 2 different sweatshops in china...

They are like a saw blade inside

Old 10-12-18, 09:01 PM
mdr2001
Rookie

Default Brakes on 2013 Lux Package

I did my front brake pads 2 years ago and replaced them with AutoZone Duralast Gold CMAX pads - DGC1586. They were an exact match to the OEM pads in size and dimensions. I did not replace the rotors, so I cannot help you there, but hopefully the pad information will help you as you select the right pads for you.

The following users liked this post:
ethalien (10-12-18)
Old 10-17-18, 07:43 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Was able to swap out the pads and rotors in under 2 hours. Very straightforward and easy. Thanks all for the responses 🤙