GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire Pressure Display Delayed by Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 11:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Mine seems to vary. If the car sits for awhile, (like a few days for a week) and I start it up and go somewhere, the tire pressures won't be there immediately, but they always seem to appear in a quarter mile of driving or less, I've never had it take very long for the pressures to come up. I've never had it delay for several minutes etc. Sometimes its just there when I start the car. Other times, I have to drive it a little, but never more than a minute, or to the end of the block, etc.

It's probably in the same league of bug like the thing that caused my radio to have a huge aneurysm and crash one time, and I had to literally power cycle the whole
car to fix it. Crazy thing is, that incident only happened ONCE and never since then. Bizarre.

-Mike
I had a similar weird event happen to the navigation screen display where it went into rapid shaking. I shut off the car and re-started it and everything was normal. That incident only happened one time over a year ago.
Old 10-30-19, 04:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I have resurrected my own year-old thread!

Cold temperatures have moved into the Dallas area this week and my tire pressures are not displaying again, just dashes (---) for each tire. This happened a year ago, but back then it only failed to display a couple of times...and it started displaying after only a few minutes. Then, it started displaying right away as usual for a whole year until now.

Yesterday, I added some air to tweak my tire pressure with colder temperatures coming, but just adding a few psi to each tire shouldn't have triggered anything. All tires displayed their tire pressure (after I added air), but I noticed that one tire was rather slow to indicate the increased pressure until I had driven about a mile...then everything seemed to work just fine as usual. But then the next couple of times I drove the car the tire pressures did not display at all until I drove for a few minutes. It's always displayed after driving just 30 feet or so. Now, the last two times I have driven the car the tire pressures did not display at all - even after driving for 15-20 minutes. Just dashes (---).

It seems likely that maybe cold temperatures may have triggered the malfunction, but I really have no clue why my tire pressure suddenly is not displaying. Any tips or suggestions?
Old 10-30-19, 06:27 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Well, I have resurrected my own year-old thread!

Cold temperatures have moved into the Dallas area this week and my tire pressures are not displaying again, just dashes (---) for each tire. This happened a year ago, but back then it only failed to display a couple of times...and it started displaying after only a few minutes. Then, it started displaying right away as usual for a whole year until now.

Yesterday, I added some air to tweak my tire pressure with colder temperatures coming, but just adding a few psi to each tire shouldn't have triggered anything. All tires displayed their tire pressure (after I added air), but I noticed that one tire was rather slow to indicate the increased pressure until I had driven about a mile...then everything seemed to work just fine as usual. But then the next couple of times I drove the car the tire pressures did not display at all until I drove for a few minutes. It's always displayed after driving just 30 feet or so. Now, the last two times I have driven the car the tire pressures did not display at all - even after driving for 15-20 minutes. Just dashes (---).

It seems likely that maybe cold temperatures may have triggered the malfunction, but I really have no clue why my tire pressure suddenly is not displaying. Any tips or suggestions?
If you have an OBDII tool or Carista it might tell you more about the sensors.... although it might say nothing. Eventually I think if you get the dashes for a prolonged period of time the system will wig out and throw a low tire warning light. Mine took about a month with the bogus sensors before it did that. Or at least I think the sensors are bogus. I'll find out when I put my Cinturatos back on the car for the winter. (diff set of rims with OEM sensors). Course I might have to have a tire shop "Train" them to the car again.... I probably should just get a TPMS programmer/tool thing....

-Mike
Old 10-30-19, 06:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drgrant
If you have an OBDII tool or Carista it might tell you more about the sensors.... although it might say nothing. Eventually I think if you get the dashes for a prolonged period of time the system will wig out and throw a low tire warning light. Mine took about a month with the bogus sensors before it did that. Or at least I think the sensors are bogus. I'll find out when I put my Cinturatos back on the car for the winter. (diff set of rims with OEM sensors). Course I might have to have a tire shop "Train" them to the car again.... I probably should just get a TPMS programmer/tool thing....

-Mike
I checked for codes - nothing.

I fully expected the tire pressure display to start working normally again after a couple of minutes (like last year in October when the temperature dropped), but it never did. Just for the heck of it I tried hitting the reset button under the dash, both with the engine running and also with just the ignition On. Nothing.
Old 10-31-19, 09:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I checked for codes - nothing.

I fully expected the tire pressure display to start working normally again after a couple of minutes (like last year in October when the temperature dropped), but it never did. Just for the heck of it I tried hitting the reset button under the dash, both with the engine running and also with just the ignition On. Nothing.
It's cooling down in Cali too, low 50s in the morning and mine displays instantly after I turn on the engine. There are times that it was blank for a few mins but most of the time it shows right away. Maybe ur sensors are going bad, all 4 of them?
Old 10-31-19, 09:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It's cooling down in Cali too, low 50s in the morning and mine displays instantly after I turn on the engine. There are times that it was blank for a few mins but most of the time it shows right away. Maybe ur sensors are going bad, all 4 of them?
I want to say the problem is associated with the much cooler temperatures here in Dallas, but... All my vehicles are garaged and this morning the garage temperature was 65° even though the low last night was 29°. I drove the GS 350 this morning and still no tire pressure values were displayed. My GS 350 is now 7 years old. I presume the problem could be the TPMS batteries could be weak and they don't like cold temperatures, but... I could see maybe one battery being really weak and not displaying a value, but all four - I doubt it. I wish I knew what the problem is...
Old 10-31-19, 04:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

I drove the car numerous [separate] times throughout the day today with no tire pressure values ever displaying, just dashes (---) for all four tires. I just left the display to monitor tire pressure, which is where I always have it. As a last check of the day I decided to turn On the ignition without starting the engine. The display showed the driver's door was open so I closed the door, and then the display showed 'Power' so I hit the [display] button. One push of the display button immediately displayed all four tire pressure values. I cranked up the engine and drove the car around for 5-10 minutes and all four tire pressure values displayed just like normal. Obviously the cooler temperatures (50° now) which I thought may have had something to do with the tire pressures not displaying had nothing to do with the problem.

It's fixed! I hope! Don't know how or why! Knock on wood...that it stays fixed. I thought I was going to have to get rid of the car because I despise with a passion when stuff doesn't work as it should. I have no clue why this particular process suddenly caused the display to start showing the tire pressure values again.
Old 11-01-19, 08:44 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm telling u man, ur sensors are on their way out and need to be replaced. Especially for u, all 4 will need to replaced at once.
Old 11-01-19, 08:51 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

This has happened on my 18 only to have the readings reappear after a minute or so. It's only happened twice that I recall since I bought it in November of 17.
Old 11-01-19, 09:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm telling u man, ur sensors are on their way out and need to be replaced. Especially for u, all 4 will need to replaced at once.
Well, the display for tire pressure is back to just dashes (---) again!
Old 11-01-19, 04:41 PM
H2O
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 4GS I have found that if a single sensor malfunctions (e.g. low battery) then all you will see are dashes for all four tire pressures. Discount Tire can possibly diagnose it for you.
Old 11-01-19, 05:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it's back to working normally again. I've driven the car 4 or 5 separate times and each time the tire pressure values displayed just as they are supposed to - worked perfectly. I can't explain what may have caused the glitch. Maybe it will continue to be normal.
Old 11-02-19, 02:39 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine started to do this here when it got colder out.
Old 11-02-19, 03:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Mine started to do this here when it got colder out.
Interesting! I drove the car a few different times today and the first time I drove it I had no tire pressure values displaying, just dashes (---) and that was from the warm garage where it was about 70°. The last two times I drove the car the tire pressure values displayed perfectly and the ambient temperature was about the same.

I started out thinking that the ambient temperature may have had something to do with the strange behavior, but I'm not so sure because it wasn't like it was really cold the first time I drove the car today...plus all four tire pressure values either display, or they don't, so their batteries can't all be failing at the same exact time. Mysterious!

I'd be interested to know how yours performs over the coming days...
Old 11-02-19, 05:42 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by H2O
In the 4GS I have found that if a single sensor malfunctions (e.g. low battery) then all you will see are dashes for all four tire pressures. Discount Tire can possibly diagnose it for you.
This is useful to know, I know on my set of wheels with the fake TPMS sensors (or whatever they are) one of them shows up in carista and the others do not, yet I have 4 dashes for busted sensors on the panel, so this makes sense...

-Mike

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Display Delayed by Minutes