GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire Pressure Display Delayed by Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 07:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Question Tire Pressure Display Delayed by Minutes

Yesterday my tire pressure display (all four tires) was delayed one time by 5-10 minutes before finally displaying. At all other times it worked normally with the display appearing either right away or after traveling a mere 30 feet or so, which is how it has always reacted in the past. Today, I once again had all four tires displaying dashes for about 2 minutes before the tire pressures finally displayed. Nothing has changed - no tire rotation, no tire pressure tweaking, etc. The only thing unusual is that it has been cool (45°) and rainy, neither of which should be a factor. My first thought was that maybe I had a weak TPMS battery, but if that was the case I think only the one tire would throw dashes on the display, so I don't think that is it.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior with their tire pressure displaying dashes for a lengthy period of time before finally displaying the tire pressures?

Last edited by bclexus; 10-16-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 07:23 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have experienced this. I just took it as electric gremlin. Sometimes it shows right away and others it takes a few minutes. My previous Audi A8 was the same way. Not really a big deal.
Old 10-16-18, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
I have experienced this. I just took it as electric gremlin. Sometimes it shows right away and others it takes a few minutes. My previous Audi A8 was the same way. Not really a big deal.
It's never happened before over the four years I've had the car. It seems odd that it would begin acting differently all of a sudden now.
Old 10-16-18, 07:32 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's never happened before over the four years I've had the car. It seems odd that it would begin acting differently all of a sudden now.
Maybe the batteries are wearing and need to replace sensors/batteries if possible. What's the life expectancy on the sensor batteries?
Old 10-16-18, 07:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the batteries are wearing and need to replace sensors/batteries if possible. What's the life expectancy on the sensor batteries?
I think average life of the TPMS batteries is around 10 years. All four sensors wouldn't be throwing dashes at the same time. I don't think the delay of displaying tire pressures has anything to do with the TPMS batteries.
Old 10-16-18, 07:48 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you behind on your payments? These cars are very high tech.
Old 10-16-18, 07:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
Are you behind on your payments? These cars are very high tech.
Payments? Hell no, I stole the damn thing.
Old 10-16-18, 09:10 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

2015 checking in. This happens to me periodically, too. I always thought it was normal
Old 10-17-18, 05:01 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

It's happened twice on my 18. After a minute or so, the pressures appear. It's never really bothered me.
Old 10-17-18, 07:07 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I get this once in a blue moon. Don't know why.
Old 10-17-18, 12:38 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yesterday my tire pressure display (all four tires) was delayed one time by 5-10 minutes before finally displaying. At all other times it worked normally with the display appearing either right away or after traveling a mere 30 feet or so, which is how it has always reacted in the past. Today, I once again had all four tires displaying dashes for about 2 minutes before the tire pressures finally displayed. Nothing has changed - no tire rotation, no tire pressure tweaking, etc. The only thing unusual is that it has been cool (45°) and rainy, neither of which should be a factor. My first thought was that maybe I had a weak TPMS battery, but if that was the case I think only the one tire would throw dashes on the display, so I don't think that is it.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior with their tire pressure displaying dashes for a lengthy period of time before finally displaying the tire pressures?
I have seen this on my GS before and I see this from time to time in my dad's Camry, it just displays dashes until a few minutes after rolling and this is a 2017 Camry by the way. I don't think my RC ever did this, at least I haven't seen it yet.
Old 10-19-18, 06:22 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I've seen this many times on my GS. It needs time to initialize on occasion. Most other brands don't show the pressure at all until you are rolling so be glad we even have it in our car!
Old 10-19-18, 11:36 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
I've seen this many times on my GS. It needs time to initialize on occasion. Most other brands don't show the pressure at all until you are rolling so be glad we even have it in our car!
It only happened twice on my car where the tire pressure didn't display for an extended period of time (e.g. 3-10 minutes). All other times the tire pressure displayed immediately or after rolling about 30 feet. I have no clue why the two instances occurred where tire pressure was drastically delayed before displaying. I have started and driven the car probably 30+ times since it last acted weird and it has been reacting perfectly normal.
Old 10-19-18, 11:41 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine seems to vary. If the car sits for awhile, (like a few days for a week) and I start it up and go somewhere, the tire pressures won't be there immediately, but they always seem to appear in a quarter mile of driving or less, I've never had it take very long for the pressures to come up. I've never had it delay for several minutes etc. Sometimes its just there when I start the car. Other times, I have to drive it a little, but never more than a minute, or to the end of the block, etc.

It's probably in the same league of bug like the thing that caused my radio to have a huge aneurysm and crash one time, and I had to literally power cycle the whole
car to fix it. Crazy thing is, that incident only happened ONCE and never since then. Bizarre.

-Mike
Old 10-19-18, 11:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

My theory is it loses sync or it has to re-calibrate every so often. I do thank my lucky stars for in dash tire pressure monitoring on all 4 tires. On some lower class cars, you only get low a low pressure light. Then it's up to you to check all 4.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Display Delayed by Minutes