GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Pad / Rotors + Tools List?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 05:16 AM
GA350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad / Rotors + Tools List?

Hey all, first post. I have been lurking for a while (I'm more of a searcher than a "post every question" person).

I did search for this - but could only find bits and pieces. I'm looking to do the brake pads/rotors all the way around on my 2015 GS350 F-Sport RWD with 41k. The dealership told me it would be $1800, so I thought I'd take a stab at it myself. However, I'm a detailer by hobby, not a mechanic. I read about it and watched some YouTube videos, and it seems achievable, but I lack the tools that everyone seems to have just laying around (and sometimes don't mention in the writeup/video).

Is there a list of parts I need to purchase that's already out there? If not, does anyone have one? I went to check out some of the OEM vendors here, but looking for rotors was confusing since there were more than 4 different options for F-Sport RWD's.

Finally -- are there any special tricks I can use to check my rotors to see if they even need to be replaced? Also open to recommendations for brake pads (80 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate, somewhat spirited driving style)

I also have no clue what tools I need, short of 14/17mm sockets and wrenches (i believe), a mallet or small sledge, and a flathead screwdriver. I know I need a jack and jack stands and something to get the lug nuts off.

Any help would be appeciated.

Last edited by GA350; 10-18-18 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 05:29 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GA350

Watch YouTube vids on brake changes until you're confident on the theory. Then order the bits (genuine) and install. No point asking for pointers on any Lexus specific advice until you know what you're doing
Old 10-18-18, 06:33 AM
PilotX
Driver

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GA350

Finally -- are there any special tricks I can use to check my rotors to see if they even need to be replaced? Also open to recommendations for brake pads (80 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate, somewhat spirited driving style)

I also have no clue what tools I need, short of 14/17mm sockets and wrenches (i believe), a mallet or small sledge, and a flathead screwdriver. I know I need a jack and jack stands and something to get the lug nuts off.

As a guy that has always wanted to work on his own cars but had a job for too long. Take your time, do your research, assemble your tools and finally have a back-up plan (and maybe a back-up car). Having a couple of timing belts done so far (VW, Lexus) I can tell you that they possibility of screwing up everything is sobering. It probably took me a week to do the Lexus timing belt but I have a buddy with specialized tools like a 1" impact wrench and I had to order a 22mm 1" socket so that added sometime. Plan-B is my buddy's shop. I am perfectly willing to eat a $150 tow to make sure I haven't broken anything or to get it back together when I can't. That being said brake pads are easy, did the fronts at $35K, didn't have to mess with the rotors. Good luck.

Last edited by PilotX; 10-18-18 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added one more line.
Old 10-18-18, 06:35 AM
kyuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

DIY Dan has a great playlist on his youtube channel for this - that said his car is an AWD. the tools you would need are mostly the same.

Old 10-18-18, 08:17 AM
GA350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyuGS
DIY Dan has a great playlist on his youtube channel for this - that said his car is an AWD. the tools you would need are mostly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDH...Hl8dKQ6C-CE6xj

I love this! He is who I've watched for the brake job.