GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 08:00 AM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Just looked up the car you're considering....definitely a good price and a more rare color combo being an F-Sport in Blue on Flaxen interior - i'm biased and absolutely love the Flaxen interior! The GS is a very reliable car and you shouldn't hesitate to pay that price. I paid $32.6 for a 3yr old off lease, non F sport GS with 43k miles. My CPO warranty has been up since May of this year and I have had no issues during or after its expiration.

Try to negotiate the price down a bit and be sure they only charge that $75 doc fee if you go for it. Offer $30,000 and see what they say...are you planning to trade in the BMW?
This was the lowest I could haggle the price down too. Yes, trading in the BMW.. they giving me 13k for it, I went to four other dealers during this search and they all gave me the same price. I am trying to sell it privately but thats been a slow process.
Old 10-23-18, 08:19 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mitanc
I still love my F10! Drove it to the Jets game from Long Island on Sunday, still hauls ***!
The GS has as much power, weighs less and doesn't have to use turbos.
Old 10-23-18, 06:08 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I will be in the market next year (note signature) but I'm now tracking the used GS market to get a feel the prices. I'm tracking 200 used GS's from 2013 to 2018 all in the Northeast. Of that number 93 are 2015's. I have them all entered on a spread sheet and came up with my own scoring system to create a value. I don't distinguish between CPO or not, F Sport or Base. I finding as the cars get older all these tend to blur price wise. The majority are Lexus dealer cars with a few other name brand dealers and a lot of independent dealers. I'm not tracking online outfits because I feel they skew the numbers. I don't put much into the CarGuru's Good, Fair, etc dealer ratings as they are comparing prices all over the country for the most part. My numbers are all apples-to-apples, ie all my 2015 stats are based on the 93 GS's compared to each other. I try to have a minimum of 25 points of data per year and the more the better. I pull all the data from Cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.com etc.

Yea, geeky, I know. But I do it for my own knowledge and amusement. It's not scientific in anyway but once you start combing and graphing the data, some interesting pictures start to form.
Here's some numbers I have as of today. The 2013 thru 2016 are pretty firm but 2017/18 are pretty thin. These will get more accurate as more come available.

Average Prices/Mileage within 200 to 500 miles of Portland, Maine. Covers the NE down to North Jersey, NYC and some PA as of 10/23/2018.
2013 $23963 50977
2014 $26211 43184
2015 $31328 31228
2016 $35945 36526
2017 $42605 15049
2018 $48181 6188
Old 10-23-18, 10:15 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance guys... I tried to haggle best I could. Its good to hear the engine is barely broken in, this will be my first Lexus and if it does work out I think they got a customer for life. While I love performance and fancy features, I like reliable, dependable, and quality more!
Performance and reliability have been a gigantic struggle for me in the car segment for under $50K cars. I put 70K miles on this engine (3.5) in a Lexus IS350 (total of 115K when sold) and that pretty much spoiled me. An alternator and a water pump is all I replaced. Damn near perfect car. Do I want to drop 1 more second in the 1/4 mi? Yes, for sure. But it just didn’t make sense to me from a financial standpoint to spend the $$$ on unreliable vehicles.

Now the truck segment was a much easier and a no-brainer choice. I just threw Resi Kings on my Tundra, and planning a supercharger. Pushing 600hp/600tq in a truck with suspension that bests a Raptor, and blows the doors off every truck on the road - while being more reliable. That was an easy choice.
Cars, not so easy - but I think the GS350 is a super solid choice.
The following users liked this post:
mitanc (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 02:26 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Just looked up the car you're considering....definitely a good price and a more rare color combo being an F-Sport in Blue on Flaxen interior - i'm biased and absolutely love the Flaxen interior! The GS is a very reliable car and you shouldn't hesitate to pay that price. I paid $32.6 for a 3yr old off lease, non F sport GS with 43k miles. My CPO warranty has been up since May of this year and I have had no issues during or after its expiration.

Try to negotiate the price down a bit and be sure they only charge that $75 doc fee if you go for it. Offer $30,000 and see what they say...are you planning to trade in the BMW?
Agree on the haggling. I'm seeing 2015 prices start to drop. Dealers are probably going for one last shot before sending them to auction.
Old 10-24-18, 03:42 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

I'll just comment as to the the GS' reliability vs. your BMW.

With the Lexus, you won't need CPO or any warranty. If the vehicle you want came with one, great. But I wouldn't bother spending extra for an extended warranty.
The "peace of mind" will come by putting the extra dough in a savings account instead .... for those unexpected days. 99% of the time is, you'll never need to use it.

That's going to be your key difference between owning a BMW and a Lexus.
Old 10-24-18, 07:20 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by azipod
I'll just comment as to the the GS' reliability vs. your BMW.

With the Lexus, you won't need CPO or any warranty. If the vehicle you want came with one, great. But I wouldn't bother spending extra for an extended warranty.
The "peace of mind" will come by putting the extra dough in a savings account instead .... for those unexpected days. 99% of the time is, you'll never need to use it.

That's going to be your key difference between owning a BMW and a Lexus.
Can't disagree. I declined the extended warranty on my RX for that very reason. This is my 5th TMC product. Only one vehicle ('98 4Runner) has seen the dealer service bay one time for a $200 job years ago.
mitanc (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 07:31 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e60bmw
The GS is a better car, if you don’t have to add much money on top, I think it’s a good move. I had looked at the f10 from my e60 but liked the GS more.
Originally Posted by wktjr
I will be in the market next year (note signature) but I'm now tracking the used GS market to get a feel the prices. I'm tracking 200 used GS's from 2013 to 2018 all in the Northeast. Of that number 93 are 2015's. I have them all entered on a spread sheet and came up with my own scoring system to create a value. I don't distinguish between CPO or not, F Sport or Base. I finding as the cars get older all these tend to blur price wise. The majority are Lexus dealer cars with a few other name brand dealers and a lot of independent dealers. I'm not tracking online outfits because I feel they skew the numbers. I don't put much into the CarGuru's Good, Fair, etc dealer ratings as they are comparing prices all over the country for the most part. My numbers are all apples-to-apples, ie all my 2015 stats are based on the 93 GS's compared to each other. I try to have a minimum of 25 points of data per year and the more the better. I pull all the data from Cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.com etc.

Yea, geeky, I know. But I do it for my own knowledge and amusement. It's not scientific in anyway but once you start combing and graphing the data, some interesting pictures start to form.
Here's some numbers I have as of today. The 2013 thru 2016 are pretty firm but 2017/18 are pretty thin. These will get more accurate as more come available.

Average Prices/Mileage within 200 to 500 miles of Portland, Maine. Covers the NE down to North Jersey, NYC and some PA as of 10/23/2018.
2013 $23963 50977
2014 $26211 43184
2015 $31328 31228
2016 $35945 36526
2017 $42605 15049
2018 $48181 6188
Wow! According to your spreadsheet I am not getting raped too bad, approx $200 more than the highest price in your range. I can live with that! This is giving me good reassurance.
Old 10-24-18, 07:33 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Reviewed the car tonight, it was BREATHTAKING. My wife even fell in love with it (very rare) Ohhhh yeah excited.
Old 10-24-18, 07:40 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wktjr
Agree on the haggling. I'm seeing 2015 prices start to drop. Dealers are probably going for one last shot before sending them to auction.
I have been perplexed with what to do with my BMW for the last 2-3 months. My ideal situation was to keep it and maintain it properly and hope it treats me well. As I hit BMW forums and researched, I found out BMWs are not very reliable and either the electronic gremlins would come out or plastic parts will need replacing.

I considered leasing, buying a used mercedes, possibly getting a jeep suv, I was all over. I finally said I want something reliable and want to stick in the midsize luxury (sporty) sedan segment.

I test drove a GS 350 but I just didn't like it. I don't know if it was the color or lack of options (which I already have in my bimmer) but I wasn't impressed. While walking around the dealership I saw a 2019 F Sport model which had heating steering wheel, sport plus mode, larger tires, and other goodies. I went home and searched online for a F Sport 2015 CPO (im still not brave enough to buy full blown used) Finally found one, dealer online chat said they had in stock so I made an appointment and went, when I got there no car. They told me the car is incoming, I saw a silver f sport but I wanted the blue and cheaper price point, i made a deal for it pending an inspection and went to see it today! Loved it.. looks amazing. Considering they just got it, hardly any available near me, I think I got it at a decent price. I'll live with it.
Old 10-24-18, 07:41 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Wow! According to your spreadsheet I am not getting raped too bad, approx $200 more than the highest price in your range. I can live with that! This is giving me good reassurance.
I actually plugged your numbers in to see where it fell out. Bottom third but the spread is so tight it really meant nothing. Statistically speaking, your right in the sweet spot. You got a fair deal and didn't overpay (IMO).

Enjoy your car.
mitanc (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 07:43 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Got some more good news today! Someone replied to my facebook ad to buy my car, they came to see the bimmer in immaculate condition with all service records and offered me $2k more than the dealership. I also found 3.04% financing from my local credit union compared to the 4.75% the dealership is offering me.. Stars are aligning!
wktjr (10-24-18)
Old 10-25-18, 12:01 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Enjoy your beautiful car.
mitanc (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 04:30 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Reviewed the car tonight, it was BREATHTAKING. My wife even fell in love with it (very rare) Ohhhh yeah excited.
The GS has the right balance between everything and caters to your mood - one day it can be a cushy and calm cruiser, the next a brawny, curve busting bruiser...Congrats and post up some pics when you can!
Old 10-25-18, 04:34 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Happy to hear you liked the GS. I had been all about bimmers until I got my LS, and then ended up with the GS. I actually don't care for many of the new BMW designs, they don't do much for me. I've been very happy with my GS since I bought it. Its got plenty of power for me.

Quick Reply: Need Buying Advice