Need Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 04:12 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Buying Advice

Hey All,

Been lurking on here for the last few days, and I must say the community seems great. Real questions and real answers in an easy to read format.

Here's my situation,

I currently own a paid off 2013 BMW 535i xDrive. Its pushing close to 74,000 miles. The CPO warranty will be ending Dec 2018 (I got 2 months left) and I am perplexed with what to do. I have taken care of it, love driving it, and it still looks brand new. The issue is without the warranty I am terribly afraid something will break and repairs are going to cost me an arm and leg.

I went into a new car search. I am not looking for a huge monthly bill, so i would be buying used. I found a 2015 Lexus GS F-Sport AWD for $31,500 here in town. It has nearly 40,000 miles and is Certified. I went to the Lexus dealer, the numbers seem good and it will basically have a 3 yr / Unlimited Mile warrant because its a CPO. The carfax shows the car was purchased in Oct 2015 and the lease type shows corporate so I am imagining its someone who did tons of sales calls and lot of highway driving.

Is it a good idea to buy a car with 40,000 miles for 30k+ ? The 3yr warranty makes me feel good, but I don't want any scary skeletons coming out later. I fully intend to drive this thing another 100,000 miles at least and that is why I am getting rid of my bimmer, which is in perfectly good working order, because I don't want to have to spend tons of cash and time at the shop (plus all the attention it needs) to keep it.

Interested to hear your opinions. I've left a $500 hold deposit on the car already but nothing is signed as the car still hasn't arrived to the dealership yet, should be here middle of the week.

Looking forward to your responses!

Thanks!
Old 10-22-18, 05:34 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you seen this vehicle yet?

At face value it seems a bit high for the mileage but then again geographic location and it's a CPO move the numbers. But are they going to do any refurbishing? Tires, brakes?

Who's the dealer?
Old 10-22-18, 06:36 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wktjr
Have you seen this vehicle yet?

At face value it seems a bit high for the mileage but then again geographic location and it's a CPO move the numbers. But are they going to do any refurbishing? Tires, brakes?

Who's the dealer?
No, have not seen the vehicle. Will review it ones it's in. I gave them a $500 to hold it not to show it to other people.

It's at Rallye Lexus in LI.

They showed me a gray same yr same options with 14,000 miles for $37k, but I didn't like the color and the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay.

According to service records the front brakes and rotors have been replaced / serviced.

They told me according to CPO requirements all tires / brakes should be at least 50% but their dealership makes sure they are at 60%.

Price wise it's very hard to find a 2015 f sport CPO, these are the only 2 I found within 100 miles. So I thought price was reasonable, I was more concerned with my expectations of driving this a 100k miles more .Is it wise to think I can do this on a car with 40k miles?
Old 10-22-18, 06:46 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mitanc
No, have not seen the vehicle. Will review it ones it's in. I gave them a $500 to hold it not to show it to other people.

It's at Rallye Lexus in LI.

They showed me a gray same yr same options with 14,000 miles for $37k, but I didn't like the color and the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay.

According to service records the front brakes and rotors have been replaced / serviced.

They told me according to CPO requirements all tires / brakes should be at least 50% but their dealership makes sure they are at 60%.

Price wise it's very hard to find a 2015 f sport CPO, these are the only 2 I found within 100 miles. So I thought price was reasonable, I was more concerned with my expectations of driving this a 100k miles more .Is it wise to think I can do this on a car with 40k miles?
My buddy has the same exact Bimmer and he has a ton of issues at 84K miles, spends most of the time at the dealer. Lexus vehicles typically have a really great record of reliability well into the 300K+ range. 40K is barely breaking in the engine. I think the price is good for the mileage and for your location. But make sure you are HAPPY with the color combination and the features. $30K is about right for a '15 with that mileage. You could probably haggle and get it down $1 or $2k but I doubt they'll go any lower.
Old 10-22-18, 06:51 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

I would give no thought to the mileage. Being a Lexus/Toyota product it should give years of great service.

Just looked for myself, I agree there is no inventory for the requirements you have set.

Good luck with your purchase.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (10-23-18)
Old 10-22-18, 06:52 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eddie420
My buddy has the same exact Bimmer and he has a ton of issues at 84K miles, spends most of the time at the dealer. Lexus vehicles typically have a really great record of reliability well into the 300K+ range. 40K is barely breaking in the engine. I think the price is good for the mileage and for your location. But make sure you are HAPPY with the color combination and the features. $30K is about right for a '15 with that mileage. You could probably haggle and get it down $1 or $2k but I doubt they'll go any lower.

What he said.
Old 10-22-18, 07:21 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

The GS is a better car, if you don’t have to add much money on top, I think it’s a good move. I had looked at the f10 from my e60 but liked the GS more.
Old 10-22-18, 07:30 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
The GS is a better car, if you don’t have to add much money on top, I think it’s a good move. I had looked at the f10 from my e60 but liked the GS more.
L10 > F10
Old 10-22-18, 08:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I wouldn’t hesitate. My 15 F Sport has been fantastic, though I only have 20k miles on it.
mitanc (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 08:04 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reassurance guys... I tried to haggle best I could. Its good to hear the engine is barely broken in, this will be my first Lexus and if it does work out I think they got a customer for life. While I love performance and fancy features, I like reliable, dependable, and quality more!
Old 10-22-18, 08:06 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

I haven't seen the color yet, but from googling it and seeing similiar colored vehicles it looks sweet!

My first Lexus, hope I don't have buyers remorse :-)
Old 10-22-18, 08:08 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

L10 > F10
Love the L10 but didn't want such a massive car. I am in the market for a luxury midsize sports sedan.. GS350 is where I landed.
Old 10-22-18, 08:09 PM
mitanc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I still love my F10! Drove it to the Jets game from Long Island on Sunday, still hauls ***!
Old 10-23-18, 06:58 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Just looked up the car you're considering....definitely a good price and a more rare color combo being an F-Sport in Blue on Flaxen interior - i'm biased and absolutely love the Flaxen interior! The GS is a very reliable car and you shouldn't hesitate to pay that price. I paid $32.6 for a 3yr old off lease, non F sport GS with 43k miles. My CPO warranty has been up since May of this year and I have had no issues during or after its expiration.

Try to negotiate the price down a bit and be sure they only charge that $75 doc fee if you go for it. Offer $30,000 and see what they say...are you planning to trade in the BMW?
mitanc (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 07:40 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I bought my first Lexus at three years old, 30k miles CPO. It had no issues over thirteen years and 160k miles. What work was required was either standard maintenance or aging (had to weld two exhaust patches to clear emissions codes after twelve PA winters).

I bought my second Lexus at four years old 72k miles no CPO because it's just not necessary: these cars will just run for as long as we want without a second thought.
mitanc (10-23-18)

Quick Reply: Need Buying Advice