Need help with amplifier damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 05:19 PM
nk112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with amplifier damage

Hey all!

First off, I just want to say this website has been a ton of help with all kinds of questions from just lurking about. I feared that I'd finally have to post here, but alas I couldn't find an answer online. Hopefully this is the right forum, and you can possibly help me. I own a 2013 GS350.

My issue: Back in 2014, I was rear ended and had to have my bumper, tail light, and 2 right sensors in the back of my GS350 replaced. At first I thought I had no real issues after maintenance. I deployed and returned in mid 2016 and started noticing an issue. First, my amplifier I believe; gave out. The main issue I ran into is that, I simply cannot alter the volume. It is mute. Whenever I attempt to change the volume, nothing happens; no "Volume: XX" prompt shows up in my navigation system -it's as if it doesn't recognize I am even trying to change the volume. I eventually stopped bothering with it, as it started working again as normal.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago: It does it again, this time I take it in to a shop to diagnose. They find the issue - when my right taillight was installed, they missed a screw and humidity/water had been getting in from there, and ultimately standing water was piling right where the amplifier sits. I fix the taillight myself, however, my amplifier is now considered water damaged and insurance will not cover any costs due to the fact it resulted from bad maintenance (from a shop in Florida.. I am stationed in VA and the shop will sadly not cooperate). So herein lies my issue.

I've taken the amp apart and let it sit in the sun, I've taken a blow dryer to it, and I've checked its fuses and everything seems to be in line.

I am posting because, well, maybe someone has had a similar issue. What did you go through to fix the problem? Ultimately I am planning on taking it to an audio shop to have the actual issue diagnosed - whether it's the wiring, the amplifier itself or maybe one of the fuses, but I'm not entirely too sure an audio shop will be able to tell me why my navigation system is simply not acknowledging my volume inputs at all, and Lexus, as much as I love them, will probably break the bank in diagnosis/replacement alone. I truly do not want to have to buy a $1000 amp to replace my stock system lol.

Some extra details
2013 GS350
Stock Audio System (Not Mark Levinson)
It doesn't work on bluetooth, AM/FM or iPod input. Neither do calls.
I can still change the radio station or songs playing, it just produces no sound whatsoever.

I hope someone here can help me. If not, maybe someone knows of decent aftermarket amplifiers compatible with this car? Sorry for the noob questions. Im still trying to get a hold of how all of this works.
Old 11-01-18, 05:36 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

I have seen non-ML amps on ebay for $200-400 used. I don't see any right now, but that will probably be the more affordable way to fix this.
Old 11-01-18, 08:03 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Most likely if it was in standing water, when you started the car it fried the amplifier chips.
I personally would not waste my time or money seeing what is wrong with it. Components are probably corroded.
I would just apply those funds to the purchase of an ebay replacement amp.
Old 11-02-18, 11:07 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I just replaced my amplifier with a used one I bought off ebay because my old one was presumably damaged by water. I had water in the lower area of the compartment where the amplifier sits. New amplifier and the sound system is good as new. Same problem as you, couldn't adjust the volume and there was no sound. I let it dry out for a while and I would get intermittent volume, but only at certain frequencies, and it never stayed on.

You could try getting an attorney to send a letter to the shop that did the bad work, not sure how much that would cost. Leave them bad reviews detailing exactly what they did and how much it is going to cost you on Yelp, Google, Better Business Bureau. Try telling them about the reviews ahead of time to see if they want to offer you something to prevent you from doing that.

Here are some threads discussing malfunctioning amplifier/audio system and water in the trunk:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-working.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-in-truck.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...for-water.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
Old 11-02-18, 11:13 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

I fashioned a mostly waterproof box for the new amplifier to sit inside, as I don't feel like pursuing the source of my leak at the moment. It's a plastic shoebox that I drilled some holes in for ventilation. I can't fit it under the floor panel that it used to go under, so that kind of sucks, but it's pretty low profile, and I have a Weathertech trunk mat that goes over it. Can't even tell it's there. I have to store the lug wrench and wheel lock in the main trunk compartment now, though.
Old 06-02-19, 12:22 PM
gs35o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nk112
Hey all!

First off, I just want to say this website has been a ton of help with all kinds of questions from just lurking about. I feared that I'd finally have to post here, but alas I couldn't find an answer online. Hopefully this is the right forum, and you can possibly help me. I own a 2013 GS350.

My issue: Back in 2014, I was rear ended and had to have my bumper, tail light, and 2 right sensors in the back of my GS350 replaced. At first I thought I had no real issues after maintenance. I deployed and returned in mid 2016 and started noticing an issue. First, my amplifier I believe; gave out. The main issue I ran into is that, I simply cannot alter the volume. It is mute. Whenever I attempt to change the volume, nothing happens; no "Volume: XX" prompt shows up in my navigation system -it's as if it doesn't recognize I am even trying to change the volume. I eventually stopped bothering with it, as it started working again as normal.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago: It does it again, this time I take it in to a shop to diagnose. They find the issue - when my right taillight was installed, they missed a screw and humidity/water had been getting in from there, and ultimately standing water was piling right where the amplifier sits. I fix the taillight myself, however, my amplifier is now considered water damaged and insurance will not cover any costs due to the fact it resulted from bad maintenance (from a shop in Florida.. I am stationed in VA and the shop will sadly not cooperate). So herein lies my issue.

I've taken the amp apart and let it sit in the sun, I've taken a blow dryer to it, and I've checked its fuses and everything seems to be in line.

I am posting because, well, maybe someone has had a similar issue. What did you go through to fix the problem? Ultimately I am planning on taking it to an audio shop to have the actual issue diagnosed - whether it's the wiring, the amplifier itself or maybe one of the fuses, but I'm not entirely too sure an audio shop will be able to tell me why my navigation system is simply not acknowledging my volume inputs at all, and Lexus, as much as I love them, will probably break the bank in diagnosis/replacement alone. I truly do not want to have to buy a $1000 amp to replace my stock system lol.

Some extra details
2013 GS350
I can still change the radio station or songs playing, it just produces no sound whatsoever.

I hope someone here can help me. If not, maybe someone knows of decent aftermarket amplifiers compatible with this car? Sorry for the noob questions. Im still trying to get a hold of how all of this works.

Hey man!! What did you do? Im on the exact same boat with the exact same car. No ML system either. Want to really know what you did. As i dont want to cough up $1200 for a new amp either.
Old 06-04-19, 01:45 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by gs35o
Hey man!! What did you do? Im on the exact same boat with the exact same car. No ML system either. Want to really know what you did. As i dont want to cough up $1200 for a new amp either.
I had a fried amplifier as well. Look through my post history and you will see some threads if you are interested.

Go on ebay, buy a used amplifier. It will probably set you back anywhere from $250-400. Install that, try to sell your old damaged one on ebay. I actually got around $125 for my damaged one, so it helps offset the cost of the "new" used one.

As far as installing the new one, I went to the Container Store and bought a plastic shoebox, cut out a hole to feed the wires through, fed the wires and wrapped around the hole with tape in an attempt to waterproof, and then drilled some holes for ventilation in areas of the box I don't think will get splashed with water. Fingers crossed. So far so good, it's been about 4-6 months I think. I have the Weathertech trunk liner and it lays almost flush over the shoe box, but I can't put the wheel lock and other tools over there anymore. If you got your leak fixed then obviously you can forego this stupid shoe box step.

Edit: LOL I just scrolled up in this thread and saw I had two posts right before your question explaining what I did in this situation... did you read all the responses here?

Last edited by CottageChz; 06-04-19 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 07:16 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

There's a few of you with stuffed amps from water, I think I'd better check my boot for any dampness...2nd hand amps have never been available for the 4GS here, sounds like a preventative DIY drain will be in order!
Old 06-05-19, 08:51 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Can't hurt to take a look. It's an expensive problem to have.
Old 03-29-20, 07:13 AM
mwhite1973
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 gs350 awd

In reply to the fried amplifier. I just purchased my used 2013 and love it. The service advisor at my lexus dealership has the same car and was pointing out the deficiencies. One of them is where the ML amp sits. If you look in this area you'll see there are vents that allow air to escape. For what? now sure. pressurize the cabin, cool the amp. anyways. you'll notice that they can allow water to enter during wet weather driving. I think this may be part of your problem. He recommended sealing it with a waterproof dynamat or equivalent. I think it is a defect.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (09-19-21)
Old 03-29-20, 09:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mwhite1973
In reply to the fried amplifier. I just purchased my used 2013 and love it. The service advisor at my lexus dealership has the same car and was pointing out the deficiencies. One of them is where the ML amp sits. If you look in this area you'll see there are vents that allow air to escape. For what? now sure. pressurize the cabin, cool the amp. anyways. you'll notice that they can allow water to enter during wet weather driving. I think this may be part of your problem. He recommended sealing it with a waterproof dynamat or equivalent. I think it is a defect.
All vehicle trunks have those flap vents in the trunk in about the same spot(one on each side of the trunk), it's to relieve pressure when you close doors, My current car and previous cars have zero water issues in the trunk. That's not causing water to go to the amp. Block those vents will cause it's own set of problems.

Old 04-27-20, 09:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I anyone needs a Mark Levinson amp I have one for sale:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/943083

It's in good working condition.
Old 05-17-22, 12:13 PM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had two episodes in as many months with my non-ML amp power cutting out. First time it was resolved on its own with time and sunny weather. This most recent time, it stopped mid-song, then started a fuzzy humming noise that would only stop with unplugging it. Two days of rice and silica gel packets in a sealed container and... It's back! I usually keep my GS in the garage, but a kitchen renovation has taken priority so it's been banished to the driveway. It's only since then that I've been having issues. No visible water infiltration and the pressure flaps are intact. I'm not sure what else to do to prolong its life. Eight years and 57k miles isn't THAT old in my opinion.
Old 01-15-24, 08:25 PM
shuay77
1st Gear

Default Same

Originally Posted by nk112
Hey all!

Some extra details
2013 GS350

I have the same thing happening to me did you figure it out cause I’m not tryna replace my amp for nothing then it get messed up again, also can my amp get fixed in anyway please reply
Old 01-17-24, 05:02 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

I bought a used amp off eBay. If you buy a used one from a seller with a good return policy then you can send it back if that happens to not fix your problem.

You may be able to send your amp for repair somewhere but personally I don’t think I’d do that unless they guaranteed it fixed or your money back with no hassle. I’m not sure if you can rule out something being wrong other than the amp, so if it’s a situation where maybe the amp doesn’t work and then you get into an argument with whoever repaired it whether the repair was good or not… yeah I’d pass on that. Someone bought my damaged amp on eBay for maybe about $100, can’t remember for sure.

As far as keeping the new amp safe from water - I bought a plastic shoebox style container from the container store and put my new amp inside that. I cut holes for the wires to enter the box and then sealed those holes as well as possible. I drilled holes in the top of the sides of the box for ventilation. It was slightly bigger than the amp compartment so the trunk floor didn’t sit completely flush, but it was close enough that I didn’t notice since I also have a weather tech trunk liner sitting on top. Seemed to work well enough but I only had the car another 9 months or so, I got hit and it was totaled.

Quick Reply: Need help with amplifier damage