GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 05:02 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I just wish Lexus stepped up their game with their technology. Lexus cannot compete against BMW:

Old 11-03-18, 07:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I just wish Lexus stepped up their game with their technology. Lexus cannot compete against BMW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMrvcwDup0c
Gesture controls have to be the dumbest most pointless invention ever for a automobile. Do they really think buyers are that stupid that they need something, anything other then simple intuitive buttond to operate functions and really want that silly gesture system. Can't imagine being next to a driver of one of these BMW's and seeing how stupid they are going to look gesturing, turning their fingers, hands to operate functions not to mention how dangerous it can be with even less attention paid to the road.
Old 11-03-18, 07:57 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Gesture controls have to be the dumbest most pointless invention ever for a automobile. Do they really think buyers are that stupid that they need something, anything other then simple intuitive buttond to operate functions and really want that silly gesture system. Can't imagine being next to a driver of one of these BMW's and seeing how stupid they are going to look gesturing, turning their fingers, hands to operate functions not to mention how dangerous it can be with even less attention paid to the road.
Whoosh. You totally missed the point. Other brands are taking chances, Lexus should quit being so conservative. Another example of a great feature, finger writing. Makes entering addresses and finding contacts insanely easy.

Old 11-03-18, 10:10 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMrvcwDup0c
Even I as a BMW fanboy and now NFG for Lexus, I would have to say this is a cool party trick but more of a gimmick to be honest. I wouldn't see using this method for realistic all the time usage. Give me hard buttons and real volume and tuning ***** etc.. over any gesture any day. Now to say BMW has being more innovative and trend setters or taking new risks in say the last 5 years on their technology side of things compared to what Lexus has done or released in that same time span then I would 100% agree with you. I just don't see this type of innovation coming from Lexus at the moment. Lexus is very slow to adapt or come up with anything exciting in terms of dash technology or infotainment is concerned but I really hope they can step up their game in their next generation GS (if they even make another version if rumors hold true). The biggest improvement in new design language and technology I have seen from Lexus is on the new 2019 ES and upcoming UX models.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (11-04-18)
Old 09-12-20, 04:14 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hilarious

I just think its absolutely hilarious that Toyota and BMW came out with the 2019-20 Supra. You WOULD think that instead of a BMW drivetrain and a Toyota chasis/body/cabin it would be the other way around. Now THAT would have gotten some really good sales. Sounds like the newest Supra isn't doing well at all.
Old 09-12-20, 06:00 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Before i recently purchased the GS i was also considering recent model bmw 4 & 5 series. However i just cant take the gamble of owning a euro car outside of warranty, the risk is just too high.

As others have mentioned, owning a lexus/toyota gives tremendous peace of mind in regards to reliability, especially having a job that requires me to be driving to see clients almost every single day.

Im very happy with the gs, i just have 2 major gripes:

1. The mouse pad navigation system is pure hell to use, i just cant do it without taking my eyes off the road for a long time figuring out what the hell the finicky touch pad is doing, which defeates the purpose. Im coming from a touch screen is350 which was much quicker and easier to use.

2. The floppy/vague steering feel. Very bizarre setting, even on the firmest setting, for such a large vehicle.
Old 09-13-20, 12:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

LexusGSboy (09-13-20)
Old 09-13-20, 06:19 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

What is this windshield wiper snow mode you all are talking about? I am in Florida, so obviously do not worry about it. Is there a setting on the stalk to put these in the snow mode? Honestly, I usually put them on automatic mode for the rain and forget about it. However, I have always wondered when washing the car, I can never clean underneath them. So help a too lazy too look in the manual old guy out How do I put these wipers in snow mode? Thanks.
Old 09-13-20, 07:01 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Try grasping the wiper arm at the hook area rather than the middle of the arm, it will be easier to adjust.

Last edited by chinee; 09-13-20 at 07:06 AM.
Hues10 (09-15-20)
Old 09-13-20, 06:22 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw View Post
Frankly for me the relaibility outweighs heavily any negatives that I may have with the GS. I wouldn't want to go back to the headaches I had with my bimmers.

I totally agree. I left BMW because they no longer make cars I like to drive. This is what led me to Lexus and the IS 350. I decided to give it a try after reading a comparison test where it beat out the BMW 3 series. After a test drive I decided to purchase it and never regretted the decision. It does not handle as well as my older BMW (Neither does the newer BMWs) but the IS had refinements I have come to appreciate that the older BMW couldn’t match. Low wind noise, quiet interior and a smooth ride. The engine is very smooth and loves to rev and the transmission a good match though not quite as good as BMWs Inline 6/ZF tranny combo but good enough where I don’t miss either. The suspension settings for sport and comfort are much much better dialed in than BMWs where comfort was overly floaty and sport too hard. Lexus nailed the right balance. After four years of ownership with the IS I only had one unscheduled repair which was in sharp contrast with my BMW ownership experience. The combination of reliability, balance between refinement and sportiness is what sold me on the Lexus and the reason why I stepped up to the GS 350 F Sport. I have no negatives for the GS except that I think the leather should be much better quality for a car in this class. I love the GS and plan to keep it for many years to come. It’s is a pity Lexus has discontinued it. My next car will probably be the LC 500 as I do not care for the LS (too big).
websurfer (09-13-20)
Old 09-15-20, 07:00 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

After many many years of BMW's I found the new offerings lacking the soul that was so appealing. The road feel was special.
Seems every brand has complaints about its tech.
I drove the new ES as a loaner and did not think the touch pad was all that great either. Personally the bigger the screen the bigger the distraction.
My new GS does not have "Soul" either but did not pretend to either. Its a serene quiet grand touring machine I find comfortable and has some nice performance features to keep me engaged.