GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Remote Start - low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 12:57 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote Start - low battery?

For the last month or so when I have tried to use ERA (Enform Remote App) to start my car I get this error:

However everything with the battery checks out fine. Thoughts?
Old 11-29-18, 05:15 AM
HPLouis
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you let the car sit for a day or two? I noticed that my cars does that too if I let it sit for a day or two.

I even got a new battery and it still does the same thing.
Old 11-29-18, 05:19 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by HPLouis
Do you let the car sit for a day or two? I noticed that my cars does that too if I let it sit for a day or two.

I even got a new battery and it still does the same thing.
No, I drive it every day. I’ll get this when I try to start it leaving work for lunch or at the end of the day. 😩
Old 11-29-18, 09:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jessalynn

No, I drive it every day. I’ll get this when I try to start it leaving work for lunch or at the end of the day. 😩
How old is your battery? If you have a 2013 it's probably closer to the end of it's life than you think for an oem battery.
Old 11-29-18, 09:21 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
How old is your battery? If you have a 2013 it's probably closer to the end of it's life than you think for an oem battery.
I have a '15, I imagine it is still the original from the factory.
Old 11-29-18, 09:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I have a '15, I imagine it is still the original from the factory.
Yeah that's early for the car battery to fail, especially in Tennessee, but I guess if you use it everyday, it's possible. Does it struggle to start when you do it from inside the car? I'd get the battery checked again at another place like autozone/advance auto(they do it for free).
Old 11-29-18, 10:12 AM
drake3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However everything with the battery checks out fine. Thoughts?
Was the battery tested or did you just start your car normally? If it has not been tested and you have access to a multimeter, put it across the terminals and see what the voltage is reading. That can be the only thing the ECU is looking at when it is giving you that message (assuming your car is starting when you get in it). I don't know what the cutoff is to get that error, but anything under 12V could be cause. Do you have anything aftermarket that would cause a engine-off drain? My Mother found her 2 year old Avalon dead at the airport after a week in Kentucky and the OEM battery failed.
Old 11-29-18, 12:50 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by drake3
Was the battery tested or did you just start your car normally? If it has not been tested and you have access to a multimeter, put it across the terminals and see what the voltage is reading. That can be the only thing the ECU is looking at when it is giving you that message (assuming your car is starting when you get in it). I don't know what the cutoff is to get that error, but anything under 12V could be cause. Do you have anything aftermarket that would cause a engine-off drain? My Mother found her 2 year old Avalon dead at the airport after a week in Kentucky and the OEM battery failed.
Nothing aftermarket, and it starts fine every time. Even if it sits over the weekend sometimes while I haul the kids around in my SUV.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah that's early for the car battery to fail, especially in Tennessee, but I guess if you use it everyday, it's possible. Does it struggle to start when you do it from inside the car? I'd get the battery checked again at another place like autozone/advance auto(they do it for free).
No starting struggles at all.

I may hold out til my next service and have it checked out. As much as I enjoy the remote start feature, it is clunky to use. my '13 Yukon has a better interface.

side note: I don't lock it at night in the garage and every so often I get the alert in the app that the car has triggered a "status event" or whatever. It has enough juice to lock/unlock the doors and retrieve vehicle status but that's it.

Last edited by jessalynn; 11-29-18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 01:45 PM
KennethGS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my battery replaced for a very similar reason. My Enform remote start (also my key fob) would power the car up, but fail to start when the starter engaged.

But the error code I got was different (it was something like THV200).

The dealer tested it and replaced the original battery with a new one. The original battery was a Panasonic. Even if your battery tests OK, you should get the dealer to test it under the same load conditions that a remote start would have. The start up sequence is different when you use remote start.

I have a 2016 GS 350 with 36,000 miles. The battery replacement was covered by my original warranty.
The following users liked this post:
jessalynn (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 01:56 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by KennethGS
I just had my battery replaced for a very similar reason. My Enform remote start (also my key fob) would power the car up, but fail to start when the starter engaged.

But the error code I got was different (it was something like THV200).

The dealer tested it and replaced the original battery with a new one. The original battery was a Panasonic. Even if your battery tests OK, you should get the dealer to test it under the same load conditions that a remote start would have. The start up sequence is different when you use remote start.

I have a 2016 GS 350 with 36,000 miles. The battery replacement was covered by my original warranty.

I am at 44k miles, so if it is an issue with the battery then hopefully warranty covers it.
Old 12-05-18, 10:11 AM
duchoaaz
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I have the same issue with the OP. My car is 2015. The battery was replaced new by Lexus on 07/2017. I started having issue with remote start the car via key fob and Lexus Enform last Spring. The issue went away when the weather get warmer. I live upstate NY, so it is cold. The problem raised again last October, when weather dropped below 40 degree. Here are the thing I did to test the issue:
  1. start the car using key fob and Enform app after the car is warmed up. Car started no problem
  2. repeat step #1 with key fob sitting in freezer for more than an hour. Car started no problem
  3. start the car using key fob and Enform app when the car is cold, like park for at least couple hours in cold weather. Car not started
  4. brought the car to Auto Zone. They said battery is good.
  5. brought the car to Lexus dealer last October. They said battery is good.
  6. bringing the car back to Lexus dealer. It is being service as we speak.
Here is what the dealer told me the battery is good. However it is need to be maintenance like re-charge and clean the contact between battery and cables. The cost is ~$60.

I have to bite the bullet and pay $60 for them to do the maintenance if I want to fight this issue. I can take the car home to do the maintenance myself, but I can't complain if the remote starter won't work again.

I think the issue is the amperage needed for Enform to start the car is somewhere between the battery amperage when warm and cold. The amperage needed to start the car via push button is much lower. I never have problem start it using push button, even after parked for couple of days in the cold.
The following users liked this post:
jessalynn (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 11:42 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by duchoaaz
Hello,

I have the same issue with the OP. My car is 2015. The battery was replaced new by Lexus on 07/2017. I started having issue with remote start the car via key fob and Lexus Enform last Spring. The issue went away when the weather get warmer. I live upstate NY, so it is cold. The problem raised again last October, when weather dropped below 40 degree. Here are the thing I did to test the issue:
  1. start the car using key fob and Enform app after the car is warmed up. Car started no problem
  2. repeat step #1 with key fob sitting in freezer for more than an hour. Car started no problem
  3. start the car using key fob and Enform app when the car is cold, like park for at least couple hours in cold weather. Car not started
  4. brought the car to Auto Zone. They said battery is good.
  5. brought the car to Lexus dealer last October. They said battery is good.
  6. bringing the car back to Lexus dealer. It is being service as we speak.
Here is what the dealer told me the battery is good. However it is need to be maintenance like re-charge and clean the contact between battery and cables. The cost is ~$60.

I have to bite the bullet and pay $60 for them to do the maintenance if I want to fight this issue. I can take the car home to do the maintenance myself, but I can't complain if the remote starter won't work again.

I think the issue is the amperage needed for Enform to start the car is somewhere between the battery amperage when warm and cold. The amperage needed to start the car via push button is much lower. I never have problem start it using push button, even after parked for couple of days in the cold.

I don't think temperature is a factor in my case...it started in late summer when it was still very warm here in middle TN. I would try to start it ti cool before I left work in the afternoons, but gave up. Fortunately the GS climate controls adjust very quickly and before I am even 3 mins down the road it is tolerable inside the cabin. My tinted windows and sunshade help as well.
Old 12-06-18, 06:51 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same issue with my 15 GS. In addition, when I tried the remote start with my key fob I would get a mechanical click but no start. Dealer wanted to just replace the battery and be done with it. I had to explain to them that despite the warning, the battery was not the issue. They tested the battery and agreed. After a bit of coaxing they had their "technology expert" take a look at it. He said that he surfed some "internal" Lexus service tech forum sites and found that he needed to update ENFORM Transceiver. Either way once he did that it worked. This is what he wrote in my service history. PS, still have the original battery in the car without issue.Hope it helps

Service: LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE.
description: LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE. ~ ~GENERAL DIAGNOSIS [REMOTE START DOES NOT START .] ~ ~L-SB-0003-15 LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE ~ ~25258 RE FLASH TELEMATICS TRANSCEIVER FOR ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE PER TSIB COMPLETE
Old 12-06-18, 07:46 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by promethus7
I had the exact same issue with my 15 GS. In addition, when I tried the remote start with my key fob I would get a mechanical click but no start. Dealer wanted to just replace the battery and be done with it. I had to explain to them that despite the warning, the battery was not the issue. They tested the battery and agreed. After a bit of coaxing they had their "technology expert" take a look at it. He said that he surfed some "internal" Lexus service tech forum sites and found that he needed to update ENFORM Transceiver. Either way once he did that it worked. This is what he wrote in my service history. PS, still have the original battery in the car without issue.Hope it helps

Service: LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE.
description: LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE. ~ ~GENERAL DIAGNOSIS [REMOTE START DOES NOT START .] ~ ~L-SB-0003-15 LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE ~ ~25258 RE FLASH TELEMATICS TRANSCEIVER FOR ENFORM REMOTE START INOPERATIVE PER TSIB COMPLETE
Did all other features of Remote work correctly for you aside from the remote start?
Old 12-06-18, 08:37 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from the remote start, everything worked both before and after the update. Once they figured out what was wrong it took about and hour for them to update.

Quick Reply: Remote Start - low battery?