GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dashboard Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I cut the hole in my dash for the HUD retrofit. Unless they are talking about the synthetic leather cracking, I don't see how the dash itself can crack. Two layers, both thick material, ones a composite, and lots of screws hold things together. Or they know of production flaw for certain years, that may cause a premature failure.
Not all of the dash is synthetic leather, the area where you put your HUD is, but the area where the passenger airbag is as well as around the navigation screen is padded injection vinyl.
Old 12-04-18, 04:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not all of the dash is synthetic leather, the area where you put your HUD is, but the area where the passenger airbag is as well as around the navigation screen is padded injection vinyl.
I think you're right Steve. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the injection molded rubberized type material in front of the NAV screen, not the top surface area of the dash under the windshield.
Old 12-04-18, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, exactly. I've yet to hear of a 4GS with this issue (or of a 3GS come to think of it), I think Lexus is just casting the net wide.
Old 12-04-18, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
Steve - Aren't you in commercial real estate? Maybe JLL or CBRE?
No, I do residential real estate and property management
Old 12-04-18, 07:59 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Got this letter for our 2018 but not our 2015.
I got a letter for my 2015. No signs of it in my car. I'm guessing certain runs are potentially affected or something.

I am curious to be able to further identify 2015s. Like for example, I am trying to find out whether or not I have the normal or "extra capacity" washer fluid reservoir without having to take the car apart. Because if I have the standard one, might be fun to put fog lamps in my car.... but I'm not going to bother if the extended reservoir is there, because that means I'd have to discard the perfectly good extended reservoir.

-Mike
Old 12-05-18, 12:44 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I got a letter for my 2015. No signs of it in my car. I'm guessing certain runs are potentially affected or something.

I am curious to be able to further identify 2015s. Like for example, I am trying to find out whether or not I have the normal or "extra capacity" washer fluid reservoir without having to take the car apart. Because if I have the standard one, might be fun to put fog lamps in my car.... but I'm not going to bother if the extended reservoir is there, because that means I'd have to discard the perfectly good extended reservoir.

-Mike
You could sell "the perfectly good extended reservoir" on this forum, eBay, craigslist.
Old 03-11-19, 03:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I received the Customer Support Program letter in the mail today regarding the dashboard surface. I haven't heard of any problems concerning the dashboard surface from GS 350 owners...

Old 03-11-19, 03:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I received the Customer Support Program letter in the mail today regarding the dashboard surface. I haven't heard of any problems concerning the dashboard surface from GS 350 owners...

Welcome to the club, I got mine a couple of months ago for a 2013 gsh. I don't think there has been any reported issue/incident on this forum yet.
Old 03-11-19, 03:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Welcome to the club, I got mine a couple of months ago for a 2013 gsh. I don't think there has been any reported issue/incident on this forum yet.
And, we both know that if anyone on planet Earth did have this problem we'd surely read about here.
Old 03-11-19, 04:53 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Figure I would chime in as I have had an issue with my dash. I have a 2013 GS450h Liquid Platinum with black interior. I was washing my car in the summer under a large tree that shades my driveway. It was a full sun day and I figured the shade was enough for a wash. After drying my car with a soft terry bath towel I went to dust the dash and the area in front of the passenger seat was very hot as the shade was now off the front of my car that the towel stuck and left what looked like scratches (from the terry texture) in the dash. The dash was gooey soft from the heat. You can imagine my horror, I tried to smooth it out but no luck. I used every high end dash, interior cleaner leather conditioner I could find but the mark was still there. I massaged it, rubbed it, even tried a hot hair dryer to soften it and it was still visible from the drivers seat I finally got it about 97% removed by using Gummi Pflege Stift by Nextzett. It is for door seal conditioning. I rubbed it on the whole area and it just about disappeared. It leaves a matte finish so no drastic change. I wish this letter came right after it happened. Not sure the dealer will believe my story, plus it is not very noticeable at all now.
Old 03-11-19, 06:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gmoss
Figure I would chime in as I have had an issue with my dash. I have a 2013 GS450h Liquid Platinum with black interior. I was washing my car in the summer under a large tree that shades my driveway. It was a full sun day and I figured the shade was enough for a wash. After drying my car with a soft terry bath towel I went to dust the dash and the area in front of the passenger seat was very hot as the shade was now off the front of my car that the towel stuck and left what looked like scratches (from the terry texture) in the dash. The dash was gooey soft from the heat. You can imagine my horror, I tried to smooth it out but no luck. I used every high end dash, interior cleaner leather conditioner I could find but the mark was still there. I massaged it, rubbed it, even tried a hot hair dryer to soften it and it was still visible from the drivers seat I finally got it about 97% removed by using Gummi Pflege Stift by Nextzett. It is for door seal conditioning. I rubbed it on the whole area and it just about disappeared. It leaves a matte finish so no drastic change. I wish this letter came right after it happened. Not sure the dealer will believe my story, plus it is not very noticeable at all now.
Are you talking about the pebbly textured injection molded (rubberized type material) in front of the NAV screen? The smooth top surface area of the dash under the windshield is not the problem, right?
Old 03-11-19, 06:08 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Yes, textured molded rubber on passenger air bag area above glove box right of nav.
Old 03-11-19, 06:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gmoss
Yes, textured molded rubber on passenger air bag area above glove box right of nav.
Yes, that part of the dash can get rather soft if it gets hot. And, I suspect certain auto cleaning chemicals might make it gooey.

Since you have experienced this problem and corrected it the best you can - you might want to contact Toyota and see what they say about replacing it [I presume] with a different type of material. The worse they can do is say; 'No'.
Old 03-11-19, 07:13 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that part of the dash can get rather soft if it gets hot. And, I suspect certain auto cleaning chemicals might make it gooey.

Since you have experienced this problem and corrected it the best you can - you might want to contact Toyota and see what they say about replacing it [I presume] with a different type of material. The worse they can do is say; 'No'.
Thanks for the encouragement. To be clear no special cleaner/conditioner was used prior to the incident. It was simply hot and gooey from the heat.
Old 04-16-22, 05:08 AM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just noticed a crack in my dash of my 2013 GSH. Research brought me here. I never received the letter from Lexus so will call to see if I am covered. Car has 55k miles and always garaged. Anyone else reporting cracks?

Quick Reply: Dashboard Cracking