GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dashboard Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 02:36 PM
Wanitive
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
They won't do it for free outside the CSP window, which is why I did the work in the first place....​
I just picked my '14 GS up from the dealership today with a new dash. They didn't mention anything about it being outside of the time frame. Maybe it's at the dealership's discretion. For what it's worth I did not buy the car from this dealer, nor have I ever once taken it in for service other than this. They had my car for 10 days while I had an ES loaner, told me the parts were delayed in shipping so they gave me my car back. That was a week ago, yesterday I dropped it off and today it was done. Looks amazing!

The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (07-21-23)
Old 09-30-23, 08:34 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I called Lexus and they said that this particular vehicle is outside of the range for free replacement. So I am on my own. I checked around at 2-3 body shops in the area and none of them will touch it - they all referred me back to the dealer. A lot of running around for a simple crack!
Old 10-01-23, 12:43 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Mine is cracking from the passenger side air bag! What dealerships in the la area are doing them outside of the timeframe?
Old 10-02-23, 12:50 PM
slowct
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got this thank you
Old 10-02-23, 04:53 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanitive
I just picked my '14 GS up from the dealership today with a new dash. They didn't mention anything about it being outside of the time frame. Maybe it's at the dealership's discretion. For what it's worth I did not buy the car from this dealer, nor have I ever once taken it in for service other than this. They had my car for 10 days while I had an ES loaner, told me the parts were delayed in shipping so they gave me my car back. That was a week ago, yesterday I dropped it off and today it was done. Looks amazing!

WOW!!! Im surprised thay did it for free and you didnt even buy the car from them. Mines cracking as well on my 2015, but always thought i was outside the time frame to have it replaced so i just accepted that it was what it was. Im in the DFW area if anybody has a recommendation of what dealership i should approach about replacing it. Thats so surprising to me 👍🏻.
Old 11-28-23, 07:52 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I park my car outside 85k+ miles, never had an issuie. I also cut my dash for the HUD retrofit. The synthetic leather/padding is basically cemented/perminantly bonded to a strong composite layer. The top panel is also held down with a lot of screws. Then underneathe that is a plastic panel.
Well today I noticed the crack in my dash on my 2013 450h. If you look closely you can see the outline of were the airbag deploys through the dash and the crack is right on that line. This magically all happens right at the end of the secondary coverage period, have to check my title. I’m thinking even if Lexus covers it’s not worth it, I modified the original dash to retrofit hud and have aftermarket modules installed for CarPlay. Outside of the mods I’m taking the risk of Lexus leaving a mark somewhere or scratching irreplaceable bamboo trim, removing my entire dash to install a new one. It happened to me it will probably happen to your dash.

Im going to look into solutions to fill the crack to make it look much better instead. Anybody else go this route?

Old 11-28-23, 08:07 PM
lexo98
Racer

Well today I noticed the crack in my dash on my 2013 450h. If you look closely you can see the outline of were the airbag deploys through the dash and the crack is right on that line. This magically all happens right at the end of the secondary coverage period, have to check my title. I’m thinking even if Lexus covers it’s not worth it, I modified the original dash to retrofit hud and have aftermarket modules installed for CarPlay. Outside of the mods I’m taking the risk of Lexus leaving a mark somewhere or scratching irreplaceable bamboo trim, removing my entire dash to install a new one. It happened to me it will probably happen to your dash.

Im going to look into solutions to fill the crack to make it look much better instead. Anybody else go this route?

same issue for me. 2013 GS50 F Sport. Same spot too. It keeps getting bigger.
Old 11-28-23, 09:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexo98
same issue for me. 2013 GS50 F Sport. Same spot too. It keeps getting bigger.
It will keep following the pattern in the dash were the airbag rips open the dash when it deploys. I saw the way to stop it from getting bigger is to heat a pin with a lighter and melt the end of the crack. Then there is a black putty you can use to fill the crack. I will have to look into it more.
Old 11-28-23, 09:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Going to try this:

Eastwood Black Strip Caulk

Literately just rub caulk into it.

Before:

After:

Last edited by peasodos; 11-29-23 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-28-23, 11:01 PM
lexo98
Racer

Going to try this:

Eastwood Black Strip Caulk

Literately just rub your caulk into it.

Before:

After:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23OcOOg9hw
You have figured everything else out. Let me know how it goes please
Old 11-29-23, 08:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Were you guys cleaning the dash and putting any kind of treatment on it? Like 303 Aero, or anything? Just wondering if that makes any difference or not?
Old 11-29-23, 10:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Were you guys cleaning the dash and putting any kind of treatment on it? Like 303 Aero, or anything? Just wondering if that makes any difference or not?
No never did anything except wipe down with damp microfiber couple times a year. This crack over the dash airbag is becoming more common after 10 years on the GS and I got a notice from Lexus about it a few years ago. Seems like no way to prevent it, Lexus identified the affected vins and sent notice.
Old 11-30-23, 04:44 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You can see a faint outline of the airbag opening “x” on my dash when the light hits it right. No crack as of yet, so fingers crossed… but it is something I had noticed when cleaning the dash, before I saw this thread.
Old 11-30-23, 06:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Knowing how I am, a split in the dash would definitely cause me to get rid of the car and replace it.

It drives me bonkers if I see few pin-head size bits of dust on my dash.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 06:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

As of this time I have not seen that crack. I looked very closely yesterday to see if even faintly I could see a line. I do not as of yet anyway. Because I saw this problem a while back, I especially clean and try to often treat the dash with moisture conditioners to keep it from getting dry. Don't know if it helps or not? Guess I'll see cause although many other type car are having this same problem also. I got the Lexus Customer Dash support letter also. Don't know if it's still in effect?

If I had to have the Dash replaced by the Dealer I would take lots of pics and vid and walk them out and note the interiors condition before they replaced it. I would also provide some type of large blanket or covering and would ask them to use to protect while removing and reinstalling as to not damage other interior parts. That Strip Chalk looks like a good fix. If any do it would be nice to post back a before and after.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Cracking