GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My Review between the GS and LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 07:34 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts
Default My Review between the GS and LS

Here is my review of the LS 500 F-Sport in comparison to my GS 350 F-Sport. The LS in terms of design and build quality is amazing this car looks and feels amazing when compared to the GS its night and day inside and out. an example is the soft touch leather which is everywhere compared to the GS where in some places there is soft plastic and hard plastic right at the door pillar. Onto the biggest question many ask the interior room, the room in the drivers seat is def fine coming from a GS but headroom is def lower as I'm a tall guy and the roof feels closer than the GS. The handling compared to the GS is obviously not as good as the GS as its a smaller car but it sure does a good job, not that much body roll and can handle itself for a big car. Most of the space is def in the rear seat as there is plenty of room in the back seat for anyone riding in the rear seats. The seats feel softer but I'm wondering how that suede in the inserts will last over time, as well as the seats themselves. Now onto the vehicles driving, this car is a great car the power is sufficient for a V6 that is twin turbos.

There really is no comparison to the GS, the LS has good power for a big car it definitely isn't a slouch, its fast and when on the highway the car has this feeling of wanting to go faster(could be driver).Not sure if anyone else experienced that but it felt like the car was saying "give me more power". The car does have a slight turbo lag, when flooring it there is a slight delay and it leads to the turbo lag, hopefully that can be adjusted later on. The other thing I noticed is in the engine bay there seems to be enough room to fit a V8 so something tells me that there maybe a V8 LS-F coming.( I'll take a pic of it later)

The GS has good power deliver but if the GS had a single turbo on the V6 it would feel perfect, judging from the LS I could see the GS with a turbo that would def help sales.The interior needs a refresh on the GS and it would fit right in with the LS but in the GS's current state it falls slightly behind, which is expected since its 6 years in that skin. I think the the handling between the GS and the LS are similar but the GS has better handling since it is a smaller car. As said before the power is night and day don't care how big this car is, it can move I would love more but the car is no slouch.

The following 3 users liked this post by bigblack06:
AJLex19 (11-20-18), bob256k (11-20-18), Im2bz2p345 (11-21-18)
Old 11-20-18, 11:29 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

My takeaways:
-Essentially the GS is dated but wins in the handling department which definitely makes sense. Driver's headroom may be better than the new LS.
-The LS checks all the boxes with great power and build quality...Cons are interior space is questionable, turbo lag and choice of materials may not hold up over time.

Thanks for the review - it will be interesting to see what the price of a 3yr old CPO LS will be in a few years especially if the GS is discontinued and folks are looking for a possible replacement sedan.

A naturally aspirated V8 for the potential LS F with 500+ horses would be nice
Old 11-20-18, 12:25 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Does the new LS feel alot bigger than GS? Do you notice it when parking for example?
Old 11-20-18, 01:12 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

When I drove the LS, I felt it lagged a lot. I did not like it. Felt like driving a heavy rock lol. The GS on the other hand wasn't the fastest but much quicker. End of the day, I want more sport first, comfort second so the GS is the choice for me. LS is a good looking car though!
Old 11-20-18, 02:42 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by er34
Does the new LS feel alot bigger than GS? Do you notice it when parking for example?
yes I def notice the size difference, especially parking in my garage.
Old 11-20-18, 02:44 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by eddie420
When I drove the LS, I felt it lagged a lot. I did not like it. Felt like driving a heavy rock lol. The GS on the other hand wasn't the fastest but much quicker. End of the day, I want more sport first, comfort second so the GS is the choice for me. LS is a good looking car though!
So this is what I found, when I got the car it felt slow but after the car learns you it’s def faster and way better than when I got the car.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 02:52 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

thanks for the write up seems like your enjoying your ride and that is all that matters,

couple thoughts, you mentioned turbo lag

i have read and test drove the car and going to sport or sport plus really made a difference eliminating lag, are you driving in comfort ?

your write up concerned me a little and was my point easier in the week with the enthusiasm is just not what it should be after 10 years in the making for the new car.

seems like lexus cut out the old cars ride quality and size, and created a sporty larger car that has nimble handling with new technology.

i am going to hold off a year and see if i can pick one up cpo in the 50's. your car with tint and color is beautiful.
enjoy happy holidays
Old 11-20-18, 02:55 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

My future car LS 500h, fully loaded, 10 years from now, should be 30k by then.
Old 11-20-18, 08:43 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
when I last sat in the ls I thought it was way too big for me (5’7 and 170lbs), loved the hud and finish but if only it were the size of the gs. Then again, I initially liked the size of the is and thought the gs was pretty big back in 2013 so maybe it’ll grow on me? If I got an ls though I feel like the best place to be is still that rear right seat relaxing....
Old 11-21-18, 03:00 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
thanks for the write up seems like your enjoying your ride and that is all that matters,

couple thoughts, you mentioned turbo lag

i have read and test drove the car and going to sport or sport plus really made a difference eliminating lag, are you driving in comfort ?

your write up concerned me a little and was my point easier in the week with the enthusiasm is just not what it should be after 10 years in the making for the new car.

seems like lexus cut out the old cars ride quality and size, and created a sporty larger car that has nimble handling with new technology.

i am going to hold off a year and see if i can pick one up cpo in the 50's. your car with tint and color is beautiful.
enjoy happy holidays
Yes this is in sport plus as I have driven in normal and the lag is def worse but sport plus still has a slight lag in it that mode.