GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need help with rain-sensing(AUTO) wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 12:34 PM
swscott530
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help with rain-sensing(AUTO) wipers

I need help from those of you with Rain-sensing(AUTO) wipers. I want to know how your AUTO wipers operate so that I can confirm if my wiper function (2013 GS350) is working properly. My issue is that I can't get the wipers to work in a manual, intermittent mode, with frequency controlled by the interval adjuster. I have read, and re-read the manual, and it seems that the wiper controls do not work like the manual states. If you could answer the following questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
  1. Can you use the wipers in a manual (AUTO off) intermittent function, and change the frequency with the interval adjuster?
  2. If so, how do you get to manual with intermittent function?
  3. Can you turn AUTO on/off with a single push of the AUTO mode on/off switch? (It is supposed to require holding AUTO on/off switch until flashing stops. Mine will switch with a single push. Most times it won't change if held until the light stops flashing, but sometimes it will.)
  4. Is there a minimum time you must pull the lever for washer/wiper operation to get the wiper to move? (I can briefly pull the lever and get washer, but if I release too soon the wiper will not operate)
I've been to the dealer three times and they still claim this is normal operation. I find it hard to believe that there is no manually controlled/adjustable intermittent function (The manual states" The wipers can be used as intermittent windshield wipers, which operate regardless of vehicle speed or amount or raindrops."). The service tech could not clarify any reason why my car doesn't work as described. He claims he tested another 4G GS350 (dealer inventory) and it performed the same as mine. He conculed that "that's just the way they operate." I don't believe Lexus would eliminate a manual intermittent function. So...the only option I could think to justify my belief is to ask your help and see if other 350s act the same. My last resort is to do a "reset", as another poster has suggested, but I'm not sure if I can do that or if that has to be a dealer function.
Old 11-21-18, 12:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I always just leave mine in AUTO, so I wasn't sure about your questions. I just went out and played with it and this is what I found:

Originally Posted by swscott530
Can you use the wipers in a manual (AUTO off) intermittent function, and change the frequency with the interval adjuster?
Yes, I can go into a full manual mode, with the intermittent mode (with variable control), low, and high.

If so, how do you get to manual with intermittent function?
I first pushed the AUTO button once, so the green light went off. Then I held down the AUTO button for several seconds. It flashed, then extinguished, and from that point I was in full manual mode.

Can you turn AUTO on/off with a single push of the AUTO mode on/off switch? (It is supposed to require holding AUTO on/off switch until flashing stops. Mine will switch with a single push. Most times it won't change if held until the light stops flashing, but sometimes it will.)
No. Simply giving one momentary press of the AUTO button didn't disable AUTO. It did turn off the light, but still didn't go into manual mode.

Is there a minimum time you must pull the lever for washer/wiper operation to get the wiper to move? (I can briefly pull the lever and get washer, but if I release too soon the wiper will not operate)
I didn't count how long I held it down, but not long. Just a deliberate motion, maybe 1 second or so.

I hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
swscott530 (11-22-18), theplotthi (10-26-20)
Old 11-21-18, 12:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,596 Posts

You'll need to read your Owners Manual (Pages 198 thru 204) to fully understand the operation of the wipers. It's next to impossible to explain the various operations on a forum, and the manual does the best job in my opinion...however, I'll grant you that the Owners Manual explanation is difficult to comprehend on the first or second pass.
Old 11-21-18, 04:44 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 656 Posts

The right side stalk can be moved up and down to five (5) different positions. The functions are marked on the
barrel of the stalk. Uppermost position is momentary only (will not stay here) labeled "Mist" and is to engage the wipers once.
Second lower position is "Off", suitable for car washes. Third lower position is "Auto" and has the lever positioned flat, horizontal, straight across.
This is the normal operation position for most driving. The GS is exceptional among all Lexi in offering the tip of the stalk "Auto" button. (All others
do not offer the plain "intermittent" control). With "Auto" turned off (no light) the revolving barrel switch can be turn up for more wiping and down
for fewer strokes just like other cars. When you tap the "Auto" button and the light is on you have transferred control to the sensor that is up
by the inside rear view mirror. When is rains a little, it wipes a little...when it rains hard, the wipers wipe hard! Now the revolving barrel is your
input into how sensitive do you want the initial start up to be? My wife likes an early response to any (ANY!) drops on the windshield, me...less.
The two lower positions (below horizontal) are just regular low and high speed manually controlled wipers.
The following users liked this post:
theplotthi (04-12-21)
Old 11-22-18, 07:33 AM
swscott530
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you, JDR76. That helps a lot. I was confused with the meaning of the AUTO indicator light. I assumed that when the AUTO light was off, then AUTO was off and it was in manual...that would be too logical (mcomer's explanation helped). Now knowing that it is a two step process (one push to turn off AUTO light, then hold until AUTO light stops flashing) to get to manual, intermittent I have got it to work. To me it shouldn't be that complicated, but I'm glad to know it wasn't problem with the car (just my lack of intelligence...I read the manual, but was never able to figure it out). Thanks, again.

I'm with you mcomer, I like minimal wiper use...so it was frustrating when I couldn't reduce the frequency during a sprinkle or light snow.
The following users liked this post:
theplotthi (10-26-20)