GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stored for the winter who else is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 03:06 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
If you have MXM4s its trivially easy to get it to break loose, although at the same time, you will never get stuck either, as hard as that is to believe. The OEM tires are NOT really good in snow, they're "marginal" but if you drive the car like grandma in bad weather you will survive. Use caution stopping from speed, or going down slick hills etc, There is a hill near where I live in MA, and on the first snow last year I pretty much slid down the last third of the hill until finally coming to a stop at the bottom.... Thankfully this year I will not be taking the car out when the roads have garbage on them. so done with that. So done with driving a car of any value in that trash. Not to mention, if someone is going to hit me, theres probably a 10x greater chance it'll happen in that window vs the other 3 seasons.

-Mike
I guess the snow didn't stay on the ground long enough for me to actually test it out. I already bought some X-Ice tires for her, but I had wanted to get some snow drifts in before putting them on haha.
Old 11-28-18, 05:04 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts

I've been driving the RX more in the winter especially if I have to get out there during the snow. I can safely say that my GS never seen snow. If it's forecast for snow, I'm taking out the RX.
However, I'm starting to realize the RX is a PIA to wash and clean and it's also likely to be the vehicle I'll keep for long term. I don't care for SUV so I'm less inclined to trade for the latest and greatest.
Old 11-28-18, 05:48 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
This isn't an exotic car to be stored in the winter.
After you damage 3 rims, nearly destroy a tire, and get little dents or other damage (or a cracked windshield) all over your car from the winter dreck you won't want to expose it to that crap ever again. Not to mention the risk of stupid accidents, even ones not your fault, seems to go up exponentially in trash weather.

Granted, the wheel/tire thing is avoidable with a 2nd set. But I am grateful that mine is not on the road in this trash. I like keeping it nice, I haven't had a nice looking car in my garage in years until I got the GS. I will still drive it on and off this winter when the roads are clear and the WX report is decent.

-Mike
Old 11-28-18, 06:26 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I've been driving the RX more in the winter especially if I have to get out there during the snow. I can safely say that my GS never seen snow. If it's forecast for snow, I'm taking out the RX.
However, I'm starting to realize the RX is a PIA to wash and clean and it's also likely to be the vehicle I'll keep for long term. I don't care for SUV so I'm less inclined to trade for the latest and greatest.
Same scenario here. I have an RX for daily driving and keep my 18 away from salt. Getting rain this weekend so I hope it melts the 5 inches we had here. If the streets are dry and not salty I drive the GS.
Old 11-28-18, 02:04 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
After you damage 3 rims, nearly destroy a tire, and get little dents or other damage (or a cracked windshield) all over your car from the winter dreck you won't want to expose it to that crap ever again. Not to mention the risk of stupid accidents, even ones not your fault, seems to go up exponentially in trash weather.

Granted, the wheel/tire thing is avoidable with a 2nd set. But I am grateful that mine is not on the road in this trash. I like keeping it nice, I haven't had a nice looking car in my garage in years until I got the GS. I will still drive it on and off this winter when the roads are clear and the WX report is decent.

-Mike
I am on stock 19 F sport rims, get them bent and destroy tire beading all the time... Fortunately enough, I had bought the platinum warranty from Lexus Financial when I purchased my CPO. I've had my tires and rims replaced several times for free. Now if I didn't have that piece of mind... I still would drive it but with a second set of wheels for the winter.
The following users liked this post:
wktjr (11-28-18)