GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stored for the winter who else is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 07:07 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Stored for the winter who else is?

So because I didn’t ceramic pro the gs I decided to park it up and cover it for winter and not drive in inclement weather. As it just got the F sport treatment too grills only I didn’t want to change the bumper imo if I wanted bumper with out fogs and more aggressive I would’ve gotten an fsport model. I have my front lip sitting in garage soon to be painted obsidian by a shop but first I will need to cut it and mock it up before spraying it
Old 11-21-18, 07:38 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I don't know about you but I bought my GS to drive and driven it is! I have my front lip sitting waiting to be painted primed and painted as well. I'm going to just scruff it up with some sand paper and spray on black paint and then 2K clear it. And I have my fogs waiting to be installed also haha.
The following users liked this post:
Cobra611 (11-29-18)
Old 11-21-18, 09:55 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My GS is going to get tossed around the snow and salt covered roads all winter like years past. It’s a beast in the snow and I love driving it in inclement weather. It is very stable and I feel very confident behind the wheel!

The following 4 users liked this post by Mike552:
HUSKERnKS (11-22-18), jonathancl (11-22-18), rmes350F (11-25-18), wktjr (11-24-18)
Old 11-24-18, 02:39 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
So because I didn’t ceramic pro the gs I decided to park it up and cover it for winter and not drive in inclement weather. As it just got the F sport treatment too grills only I didn’t want to change the bumper imo if I wanted bumper with out fogs and more aggressive I would’ve gotten an fsport model. I have my front lip sitting in garage soon to be painted obsidian by a shop but first I will need to cut it and mock it up before spraying it
The GS is my winter beater.
Old 11-24-18, 08:41 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the few perks to living in SoCal, winter doesn't really exist. Gs is driven all year round
Old 11-25-18, 07:16 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine will be in the garage most of the winter time too. I'll be driving around in my new(to me) Explorer. Hopefully I can get some of my GS parts installed.
Old 11-26-18, 03:58 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The GS is my daily, so I coated it and got a set of winter tires coming in, and I should be good to go!

On a side note. How easily can you make the GS break loose in snow? It only snowed a few times so far, but still couldn't really get it to break loose.
Old 11-26-18, 04:41 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
The GS is my daily, so I coated it and got a set of winter tires coming in, and I should be good to go!

On a side note. How easily can you make the GS break loose in snow? It only snowed a few times so far, but still couldn't really get it to break loose.
I have not had enough snow to fully test it but on wet roads in a curve where my old truck would fishtail I have managed to get the dash to light up with lights I'd never seen before as it 4-wheel drifted a bit. It wouldn't let me get too out of shape before it nannied me back in.
Old 11-26-18, 07:55 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

We got nearly a foot of snow in Chicago last night. I will be driving in it later to make sure AWD still works. LOL
The following users liked this post:
boostinsc (11-27-18)
Old 11-26-18, 10:08 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I am garaging mine most of the winter but I'll still get it out when theres no glue forecast.... although planning to keep it 100% garaged between Mar to the middle of April, pretty much worst glue time here up in MA between garbage falling from the sky and potholes.

-Mike
Old 11-26-18, 10:11 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by AsianxWu

If you have MXM4s its trivially easy to get it to break loose, although at the same time, you will never get stuck either, as hard as that is to believe. The OEM tires are NOT really good in snow, they're "marginal" but if you drive the car like grandma in bad weather you will survive. Use caution stopping from speed, or going down slick hills etc, There is a hill near where I live in MA, and on the first snow last year I pretty much slid down the last third of the hill until finally coming to a stop at the bottom.... Thankfully this year I will not be taking the car out when the roads have garbage on them. so done with that. So done with driving a car of any value in that trash. Not to mention, if someone is going to hit me, theres probably a 10x greater chance it'll happen in that window vs the other 3 seasons.

-Mike
Old 11-26-18, 10:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I am garaging mine most of the winter but I'll still get it out when theres no glue forecast.... although planning to keep it 100% garaged between Mar to the middle of April, pretty much worst glue time here up in MA between garbage falling from the sky and potholes.

-Mike
Originally Posted by drgrant
There is a hill near where I live in MA, and on the first snow last year I pretty much slid down the last third of the hill until finally coming to a stop at the bottom.... Thankfully this year I will not be taking the car out when the roads have garbage on them. so done with that. So done with driving a car of any value in that trash. Not to mention, if someone is going to hit me, theres probably a 10x greater chance it'll happen in that window vs the other 3 seasons.

-Mike
Mike - Along with all the snow and potholes you have up there it sounds like you also have a pretty serious sanitation department problem with garbage and trash all over the roads. I'm guessing you have loads of healthy rats in up there.

Old 11-26-18, 05:02 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been fortunate I have a second car I can drive around the winter in Massachusetts is crazy salt
​​​​and dirt all over the street for months straight and destroys
​​​​ these cars my 2016 GS, F SPORT is in the garage for the winter
​​​

Last edited by lovemyGSFS; 11-26-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 08:05 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
Mike - Along with all the snow and potholes you have up there it sounds like you also have a pretty serious sanitation department problem with garbage and trash all over the roads. I'm guessing you have loads of healthy rats in up there.

I'm speaking euphemistically- Most of the snow we get really isn't snow. It's just wet, slushy garbage. Contrary to popular belief most of the snow in MA and southern NH is just garbage snow, it's a bunch of wet garbage that falls from the sky at random odd intervals. In the rare chance that we get a real winter (which has happened like, once in the last decade) things aren't nearly as bad because the temperatures aren't bouncing up and down all winter, and we get real snow, not trash snow.

-Mike
Old 11-26-18, 09:35 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

This isn't an exotic car to be stored in the winter.

Quick Reply: Stored for the winter who else is?