GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

MOD: Adding 3 zone climate control, rear seat controls, none air purification.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 12:26 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default MOD: Adding 3 zone climate control, rear seat controls, none air purification.

Inspired by this guy who did the mod:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/453730791583645921/

I got the junkyard special, paid $88 for the rear center armrest with controls, $100 for the lux model AC amplifier.
Once I do the mod probably in the spring I will sell the armrest and my stock ac amplifier to recoup 70-80% of the cost of this mod.
I might also install aftermarket seat heaters for the rear seats and mount the buttons on the same panel as the other controls.

Apparently the nanoe air purification button will only work if you have 3 zone climate control:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ification.html

The following users liked this post:
4GS350 (01-07-24)
Old 11-29-18, 02:37 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Where does the ion generator plug in? The thread with the installation doc doesn't show that.
Old 11-29-18, 02:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Inspired by this guy who did the mod:

I got the junkyard special, paid $88 for the rear center armrest with controls, $100 for the lux model AC amplifier.
Once I do the mod probably in the spring I will sell the armrest and my stock ac amplifier to recoup 70-80% of the cost of this mod.
I might also install aftermarket seat heaters for the rear seats and mount the buttons on the same panel as the other controls.

Apparently the nanoe air purification button will only work if you have 3 zone climate control:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ification.html

What a bargain! What does the AC amplifier do? I've always wondered what exactly makes the 3 zone system different in the luxury 4GS.
Old 11-29-18, 02:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Where does the ion generator plug in? The thread with the installation doc doesn't show that.
I have to tap 4 wires, two from the ac amplifier, one from the passenger side fuse, and ground. The US cars don't have the plug.
Old 11-29-18, 02:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
What a bargain! What does the AC amplifier do? I've always wondered what exactly makes the 3 zone system different in the luxury 4GS.
You magically get 3 zone climate control in the head unit when you swap the ac amplifier from the lux model. You also need this for the rear temperature controls to work and nanoe ion generator.
Old 11-29-18, 03:05 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

II got the junkyard special, paid $88 for the rear center armrest with controls, $100 for the lux model AC amplifier.
I'm confused. You're installing the Lexus rear-seat controls yet you won't be able to use the controls since you're using aftermarket seat heaters. What am I missing?
Old 11-29-18, 03:09 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
I'm confused. You're installing the Lexus rear-seat controls yet you won't be able to use the controls since you're using aftermarket seat heaters. What am I missing?
The aftermarket seat heaters would be separate system from the rear seat controls(i just need to tap power and ground). I would just drill a hole and mount the buttons near the lcd screen on the rear controls, if there is the space to do so.

I would also have to remove the leather cover and install the heating pads underneath, then reinstall the covers. I might just do the seat bottoms, so only the rear seat bottom will heat up.
eddie420 (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 03:27 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

The aftermarket seat heaters would be separate system from the rear seat controls(i just need to tap power and ground). I would just drill a hole and mount the buttons near the lcd screen on the rear controls, if there is the space to do so.

I would also have to remove the leather cover and install the heating pads underneath, then reinstall the covers. I might just do the seat bottoms, so only the rear seat bottom will heat up.
Yes, I understand that part. I just figured since you are installing the rear controls, you would go all the way and install the heated seats too. The problem that both you and I would face on this is finding matching heated rear seats (flaxxon and red/black crafted). I think this might be the perfect opportunity to find junkyard rear seats and remove the heating pads and installing them on yours. I can't imagine it being more than two heating pads with one joint power connector on each side. Would basically get rid of the hassle of installing any aftermarket heaters. Just my two cents though!
Old 11-29-18, 03:54 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
Yes, I understand that part. I just figured since you are installing the rear controls, you would go all the way and install the heated seats too. The problem that both you and I would face on this is finding matching heated rear seats (flaxxon and red/black crafted). I think this might be the perfect opportunity to find junkyard rear seats and remove the heating pads and installing them on yours. I can't imagine it being more than two heating pads with one joint power connector on each side. Would basically get rid of the hassle of installing any aftermarket heaters. Just my two cents though!
I would be installing an aftermarket heated seat kit, that comes with the heating pads:
Amazon Amazon

You have to remove factory leather upholstery on the seat, it's held down with metal hog rings, install the heating pad to the foam, and reinstall the leather upholstery with the hog rings.

I installed a similar aftermarket heated seat kit when I had my 2010 Civic, so my civic had front and rear heated seats. I also removed the factory cloth and installed the aftermarket leather upholstry.
eddie420 (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 04:39 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Subscribed! I’d be interested in getting stock rear heaters. Just need to find a junk black lux to take apart. This would go nicely with rear sun shades for passenger windows. Is there not mor to 3 zone climate control system or does it use the same vent to control air flow as the shut off flap we currently have?
Old 11-29-18, 04:48 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I can't see how this mod would ever fully work. There's additional hardware to push air to different zones. How can a non luxury push cold air in the back when it was sharing the same line before. Doesn't make sense. I have a luxury and it can even push air in different modes for each zone. Example: can be feet for driver and face for passenger.
Old 11-29-18, 07:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obadea
I can't see how this mod would ever fully work. There's additional hardware to push air to different zones. How can a non luxury push cold air in the back when it was sharing the same line before. Doesn't make sense. I have a luxury and it can even push air in different modes for each zone. Example: can be feet for driver and face for passenger.
The car is preset for both all it needs is the correct ac amplifier to tell it what to do.

Here is the blog post in Russian use google translate, this is all they had to do to get 3 zone climate control:

The rear seat just has the center vents on the back of center console and the vents for the feet.

The plug for the rear seat controls is already there in our cars. Just like the plugs for the HUD

Last edited by peasodos; 11-29-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

From the factory repair manual:

Air Conditioning Amplifier Assembly
Transmits and receives data to and from the switches and sensors, and controls the air conditioning system.
Old 11-30-18, 04:03 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

The car is preset for both all it needs is the correct ac amplifier to tell it what to do.

Here is the blog post in Russian use google translate, this is all they had to do to get 3 zone climate control:

The rear seat just has the center vents on the back of center console and the vents for the feet.

The plug for the rear seat controls is already there in our cars. Just like the plugs for the HUD
That makes sense then. Shame the non-luxury have complex functionality they can't use. BTW, where do you guys search for wrecked cars? My luxury doesn't have the heated seats in the back and I would be interested in adding the OEM heated seats.

thx
Old 11-30-18, 04:13 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obadea
That makes sense then. Shame the non-luxury have complex functionality they can't use. BTW, where do you guys search for wrecked cars? My luxury doesn't have the heated seats in the back and I would be interested in adding the OEM heated seats.

thx
You can't buy the oem heated seat pads new, even if you did you need the oem rear seat controls heated seat bottons and wiring harness.
You would need to swap the rear seats with the lux model(expensive) or install an aftermarket seat heater kit, like I plan to do.

I use car-parts.com to search all the junkyards. Once you find what your looking for you use a live chat system to contact them or you can call.

For example the rear seat armrest they had it listed for $170, but I got them down to $88 including shipping. The ac amplifier was $125, but I got it for $100 shipped(probably could have got a better price if I pushed for it), but it literately was the only one I could find in the USA. It's a junkyard, everything is negotiable, they want to sell especially if the parts have been sitting for a long time.

Quick Reply: MOD: Adding 3 zone climate control, rear seat controls, none air purification.