GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Missed place anger story. Any others?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 11:32 AM
swscott530
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Missed place anger story. Any others?

Here's my latest misplaced anger story related to my GS:

A few evenings ago, I picked up my teenage son from the gym...the nice dad that I am. I pull up in the dark and he opens the door to get in. He puts his backpack on the floor and then proceeds to push it forward under the dash so he can get in. As he is shoving it under, all I hear is a horrbile scratching sound...the sound of a backpack zipper scribing its way along the underside of the glove box. I immediately reach down and feel for the damage and there it is, a rough scratched mar on the glove box. "Come on, man!" is all I could get out as I looked at him. In my head were the usual replies that I managed to stiffle: "This is why we can't have nice things!", "Use your head!", "W--- T-- F---!". On we go, driving home in silence. The next morning I feel again to make sure that it really happened, yep, I can still feel it. I look up the cost to replace the glove box cover...$450!. Son of a.....! Fast forward two days to this morning: As I get into the car in the light of day I look again at the glove box. There it is, the offensive damage...but, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. So I look closer, and there it is "SRS Knee Airbag". What I had been feeling and thought was damage was just the embossed airbag stamp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a little angry that the kid just forces his stuff under the dash with no regard to the car, but he gets to move back into the house now.

Any other stories out there?
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-03-18)
Old 11-30-18, 11:57 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

A friend once opened my passenger door quite hard and let it swing open all the way. I was parked next to a wall...
Old 11-30-18, 12:53 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Not this GS but a friend was parked next to me in a parking lot in 1982. He put his car in reverse instead of drive with the wheels cut to pull away and backed into my quarter panel. Broad daylight, stone cold sober. I had to laugh because I couldn't kill him. Still good friends 36 years later.
Old 11-30-18, 01:10 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Wife let kids out of our tight garage...they swung door too fast and ding my GS front quarter panel..out $65 for PDR guy.
Wife backed out of garage in her SUV and scrape the **** out entire right side of my Honda years ago.
Wife curbed rash her brand new MDX within a week of purchase.
Wife scrape side of garage backing out causing minor damage to her SUV fender clear coat and garage.

So you get the idea..my wife is a horrible driver especially in reverse!
All this damage is grounds for divorce in some household.
Sigh...
Old 11-30-18, 01:43 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by swscott530

A few evenings ago, I picked up my teenage son from the gym...the nice dad that I am. I pull up in the dark and he opens the door to get in. He puts his backpack on the floor and then proceeds to push it forward under the dash so he can get in. As he is shoving it under, all I hear is a horrbile scratching sound...the sound of a backpack zipper scribing its way along the underside of the glove box. I immediately reach down and feel for the damage and there it is, a rough scratched mar on the glove box. "Come on, man!" is all I could get out as I looked at him. In my head were the usual replies that I managed to stiffle: "This is why we can't have nice things!", "Use your head!", "W--- T-- F---!". On we go, driving home in silence. The next morning I feel again to make sure that it really happened, yep, I can still feel it. I look up the cost to replace the glove box cover...$450!. Son of a.....! Fast forward two days to this morning: As I get into the car in the light of day I look again at the glove box. There it is, the offensive damage...but, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. So I look closer, and there it is "SRS Knee Airbag". What I had been feeling and thought was damage was just the embossed airbag stamp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a little angry that the kid just forces his stuff under the dash with no regard to the car, but he gets to move back into the house now.

Congrats you car is used, but don't be like that other guy, contemplate trading in for a new LS, not do it, and claim you saved thousands.

Just wipe down any scratch/scuff with a leather/vinyl cleaner, will be slightly less noticeable. I bet nobody else will notice unless you point it out to them or make them feel it. In the future make sure all bags/luggage go in the trunk, not inside the car.
Old 11-30-18, 10:35 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably the question each of us should ask ourselves is: what is more important in life -- those relations (spouse, kids, friends, etc.) or the car? The latter is easily replaceable, the former is not!
The following 3 users liked this post by bb700092:
endo022 (12-04-18), jessalynn (12-03-18), signdetres (12-01-18)
Old 12-01-18, 06:06 AM
swscott530
Driver School Candidate

Jdpdata - My wife has similar driving abilities to yours. Last car had damage to both side mirrors from when she hit the garage jambs. The car had folding mirrors...all she had to do was push a button and they move right out of the way.

bb700092 - Agreed. Just venting and commiserating.
Old 12-01-18, 02:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My cousin would put his disgusting feet on my dash when we would take trips to the beach, I would be like what the hell are you doing and he would just complain that I would not let him smoke in my car, put his feet on my dash, tell him to stop arguing, etc. He would also always forget his ID card and then want me to stop separately on the way and buy him cigarettes, if I didn't he would literally throw a tantrum which was actually kind of funny until it got really annoying and I wanted to throw him out of the car. I could actually feel my blood pressure rise when dealing with him because he loved to argue about the dumbest things. He also said he emptied squid bait and washed out a cooler on the way home from a fishing trip, I should have known better but I believed him and a few days later I smelled this awful smell in my car, I then knew it was from the cooler in the trunk he never emptied or cleaned, opened it and almost puked from the smell, I threw the whole cooler in the garbage.
Old 12-01-18, 02:39 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

What a thread. I'll add a few...

-Late after the wedding of close friends, I got stuck transporting some equipment with another friend. As i got to the storage facility I parked and my friend driving a van (with a hitch) did not see me and backed the van straight into my front bumper. Luckily the only thing damaged was the parking sensor bracket, somehow. I just looked at the clock (it was after 4am) and just bit my tongue and kept it moving.

-Six months into driving my car a friend spilled half a cup of iced tea all over the center console. Everything still functions regularly, but the map button and mode **** took some work to use for a while.

-Jury is still out on who caused this one, but we were grocery shopping and were too lazy to put the groceries in the trunk so they were stuffed into the back seat. Weeks later, I guess there was some chlorine residue on the bleach bottle on the bottle and suddenly I now have a chunk of bleach blonde carpet. Not even on the mat, the carpet.

Thanks for the venting opportunity!
Old 12-01-18, 06:18 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

I have another father-son story.
I grew up in a single car family and I knew the car was very precious to my dad (to all of us ... had cover over the seats ). I too scratched the interior and I could see the pain in my dad's eyes but he did not say a word. Many years passed and it was my first new car. My dad flung the door open and hit the wall. He immediately looked at me and we both burst into laughter. I hope to see him in the other world, but not just yet.

Salim
Old 12-02-18, 05:51 AM
swscott530
Driver School Candidate

Salem - Your post made me think that karma is real. My dad purchased the only nice car we would ever have: Chevy Impala SS. I was told that when I was a child, he found me in the car after I had damaged the top of the dash with a screwdriver because “I liked the sound it was making”. He never let me forget it, in a joking way. I’m sure he is chuckling “Karma” to himself now. I can’t be upset now that I know my kids are destined to deface my car.

Last edited by swscott530; 12-03-18 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-02-18, 11:10 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I now have a chunk of bleach blonde carpet. Not even on the mat, the carpet.
I had a similar issue a few years ago and blotted that spot with a wet towel, then a dry one, over and over... it did spread the spot a little but got the bleach out of the carpet. Once dried, a sharpie did wonders, you'd never even know the bleach spot existed.
Old 12-04-18, 09:59 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

bb700092 - Agreed. Just venting and commiserating.
I can understand. A family member or friend is supposed to be a support, i.e. he/she is expected to love and respect the objects/people dear to a person. When that expectation is not fulfilled, frustration is natural. The problem is, if that frustration is vented the wrong way, a relationship can come to an end.
Old 12-05-18, 09:47 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife had my car not long after I lowered it. She bumped a parking block...fairly hard.
I was mad. It wasn't misplaced either: I saw the dashcam footage, and she was not sufficiently cautious.

But I didn't share how mad I was. She was sufficiently embarrassed.
My once near perfect bumper now has a bruise, but it won't be the last.

Quick Reply: Missed place anger story. Any others?