28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Winter Washing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 07:38 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only go through the touchless with the GS, and maybe three times since I've bought the car...it is one where I park and an arm comes out and sprays back and forth over the car. I always prefer to hand wash, and try to avoid driving on rainy days in general.

I will check out the ONR, it seems reasonable for the minimal soiling I will have on the car. Thankfully I have an SUV for inclement days.
Old 12-06-18, 07:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Touchless washes are a good compromise when needed. The only issue with them is that the chemicals they use are pretty strong, so they tend to strip off wax and coatings. But every now and then I think they are perfectly fine.
Old 12-06-18, 08:06 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

This is my first 'proper' winter with a car, so have been experimenting with my own waterless wash & wax solution that should be more effective at cleaning off salt spray than instant detailer (I drive my SUV when there's enough salt/snow on the road to cause buildup). Planning to post a recipe if I can get it working right!
Old 12-06-18, 09:09 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

To prepare for winter, I spent the last few weeks of late October clay bar, wax, and add sealant all my cars. Makes it much easier to only do minor maintenance washes during the winter months.
Of course, SoCal weather is nicer in the winter, not so bad outside for a hand wash.
Old 12-06-18, 12:47 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No auto car washes for me. Hand wash only no matter the temperature. I do live in TX so not a lot of cold days. On those days I wash outside and then move it into the garage to dry it. I also wear rubber gloves in the cold to wash and that does make a difference.
Old 12-06-18, 12:58 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lamikela1
No auto car washes for me. Hand wash only no matter the temperature. I do live in TX so not a lot of cold days. On those days I wash outside and then move it into the garage to dry it. I also wear rubber gloves in the cold to wash and that does make a difference.
I will have to try that, as I froze my fingers off cleaning my car then bringing into the garage.
Old 12-06-18, 01:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Anytime something touches the finish (be it cloth, towel, mitt, sponge, etc.) to remove dirt, grit, grime, salt, etc. it scratches that finish. If you are hand-washing your car you are still scratching the finish, maybe even more than a high-tech car wash. And, the more often you wash ('touch') it, the more scratches you put on that finish. Lastly, do you blow-dry the finish, or do you touch it yet again with towels? You touch it and you scratch it!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-06-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 01:12 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by bclexus
Anytime something touches the finish (be it cloth, towel, mitt, sponge, etc.) to remove dirt, grit, grime, salt, etc. it scratches that finish. If you are hand-washing your car you are still scratching the finish, maybe even more than a high-tech car wash. And, the more often you wash ('touch') it, the more scratches you put on that finish. Lastly, do you blow-dry the finish, are do you touch it yet again with towels? You touch it and scratch it!
Yes I can say this occurred with my GS, was a learning experience.
Old 12-06-18, 01:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant

Rain-X Complete delivers increased shine, better surface protection, and water repellency for safer driving in poor weather.

For years, the Rain-X brand has been the name in glass treatment for better visibility while driving.

Using the same advanced water repelling technology, the Rain-X product family has evolved to include paint protection and polish products.

Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant is engineered to create a water repellent layer that chemically bonds to all exterior vehicle surfaces, including glass, paint, trim and plastics.

After application, Rain-X Complete’s surface reactive polymer molecules help level out the microscopic irregularities on vehicle surfaces to enhance shine and water beading for long-lasting performance.

A few years ago I was talking with a neighbor that owns a number of beautiful high-end cars (Bentley, Aston Martin, McLaren, Jaguar, etc.) and he said the Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant offered in some high-tech automated car washes is very similar to the HydrO2 type sealant in that an once or less of the Rain-X product is mixed with water at a 1:3 ratio and sprayed onto the car's surface at a prescribed time in the car wash cycle of events (after cleaning but before something else that I don't recall) and within seconds is blasted off with high-pressure water. He seemed to know what he was talking about - he said he works with nanotechnology and specializes in surface catalytic reaction.

As much as I've tried I just can't seem to find much information about this Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant on the web so I can learn more about it and how it works. I have learned that 1 ounce of concentrated product is the recommended amount used per vehicle. I suspect it works very similar to the HydrO2 product in that the application is made by spraying the product on the car's entire surface diluted with water, and then pretty much immediately it is blasted off with high-pressure water spray, much like the HydrO2 product is applied.
Old 12-06-18, 01:30 PM
bigblack06

A few years ago I was talking with a neighbor that owns a number of beautiful high-end cars (Bentley, Aston Martin, McLaren, Jaguar, etc.) and he said the Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant offered in some high-tech automated car washes is very similar to the HydrO2 type sealant in that an once or less of the Rain-X product is mixed with water at a 1:3 ratio and sprayed onto the car's surface at a prescribed time in the car wash cycle of events (after cleaning but before something else that I don't recall) and within seconds is blasted off with high-pressure water. He seemed to know what he was talking about - he said he works with nanotechnology and specializes in surface catalytic reaction.

As much as I've tried I just can't seem to find much information about this Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant on the web so I can learn more about it and how it works. I have learned that 1 ounce of concentrated product is the recommended amount used per vehicle. I suspect it works very similar to the HydrO2 product in that the application is made by spraying the product on the car's entire surface diluted with water, and then pretty much immediately it is blasted off with high-pressure water spray, much like the HydrO2 product is applied.
This is the first time I'm hearing of this product as well. I trust hydro2 I guess until more people test it (other than me) I'll wait tell it's truly tested.
Old 12-06-18, 01:39 PM
bigblack06

Just did some research, looks like the product only last about 2 weeks. It's nothing like car pro hydro 2 as that usually lasts about 2-3 months.
Old 12-06-18, 01:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Just did some research, looks like the product only last about 2 weeks. It's nothing like car pro hydro 2 as that usually lasts about 2-3 months.
I guess 2 weeks isn't bad considering the product is applied by an automated car wash.
Old 12-06-18, 05:00 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

One advantage with automatic pressure washes is that most tend to spray the underside. Living in the rust belt this is a must. It's hard to clean underneath with a garden hose.
Old 12-06-18, 05:28 PM
eddie420

Received 628 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
One advantage with automatic pressure washes is that most tend to spray the underside. Living in the rust belt this is a must. It's hard to clean underneath with a garden hose.
I have this for use with my pressure washer: http://a.co/d/fipjru8
Old 12-06-18, 05:42 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

That's a handy product, I've never seen one of those.

Quick Reply: Winter Washing