GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Please help!!! 2014 GS 350 clock running too fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 02:19 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by VL450h
. Hey! Just glue the white sleeve to the magnet. You will see that they are separated and they should be together, because the clock does not run correctly.
Do you mean glue the magnet over the white gear? Is that what goes in the center of the clock?
Old 03-10-22, 02:22 PM
VL450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clock

Originally Posted by MX73
Do you mean glue the magnet over the white gear? Is that what goes in the center of the clock?
. Yes. They must be connected.
Old 03-10-22, 02:24 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

. Yes. They must be connected.
I'll give this a try since I have a spare clock sitting in my garage. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-22, 10:02 AM
Uberdriver
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To: @AJlex19 -
Thank you for taking the pics! Using them as my guide, I was able to replace my clock in approx. 10 minutes.
From another user who posted this link: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8391030652
I payed $145 for a brand new Toyota OEM clock which includes taxes and shipping. Arrived from the UAE 10 das from placing my order.
It my wife's car, so Happy Wife, Happy Life. :-)
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (03-13-22)
Old 09-22-22, 05:42 AM
Tunamelt
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to VL450H, I successfully fixed my clock.

The issue here is that this isn't a clock but an electric motor turning plastic gears. If your clock is moving at all it's likely that the magnet being held in the photo has it's white plastic gear inside come loose. Take it apart and see if the white gear pinion is loose in the magnet. If so, glue it back so the magnet can drive the gears without slipping. Also, pay close attention to a small white plastic washer that's on this assembly and don't lose it and it's an important spacer that keeps the gears aligned.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tunamelt:
frankymenz (10-27-22), Im2bz2p345 (04-13-23)
Old 10-27-22, 05:39 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I also fixed my clock in my 2014 ES350, same problem. Lately every morning I get in the car it’s 10-15 minutes fast, then when leaving work 10 -15 minutes fast. I kept correcting it to see if it would fix itself, it never did. I also priced out clocks, kind of shocked to hear what people were being quoted by lexus for an out of warranty repair price. Thanks to VL450H and Tunamelt for their comments and repairs procedures. This was a simple repair, I did put the washer in backwards the 1st time, the clock didn’t work at all, tried to set it but just the light would come on, when lamps were turned on. I hadn’t completely assembled the dash, so I unplugged the clock, took it back apart, studied the washer a bit and could see the imprint more clearly on one side of where it has been riding originally against the magnet and gear. Once reassembled all worked, I set the time, making sure this was how the clock worked initially, I put the dash pieces back in, quite easy to do. All is well, almost 24 hours later and it’s still perfect. I used Elmer’s glue, if it doesn’t hold up long I will try another glue down the road, it seems like it just needs to hold a very light gear inside the magnet, the press fit from the factory must loosen up after some time and that’s when the shaft spins inside the magnet. I used a book to rest on top of the 2 glued pieces to keep a bit of force on the magnet to gear fitment. Thanks again guys, I would be willing to help anyone in the Florida vicinity to fix this, even 200 dollars is a high price to pay for this clock, a used one will more than likely fail in the short term, if it’s any good when you get it. You supply some beer and I have glue and a few dash pry tools, lol.
Old 10-28-22, 01:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Taking apart the clock and super gluing the plastic gear shaft into the magnet is the permanent fix. If you buy a used one it will fail within a few years, a new one might last 10 years like the original, for most people that's sufficient.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Huracan (12-19-22), Im2bz2p345 (04-13-23)
Old 10-28-22, 04:52 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Ugh gotta do this soon then wait to see what panel starts to rattle
Old 11-22-22, 10:03 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 2013 GS350 and this just started happening to my clock. I followed the advice above to disassemble the clock and glue the gear to the magnet. I used superglue and so far after a week and a half it's keeping perfect time. The gear spun quite freely in the magnet before and there did not appear to be any glue to hold the parts together so I would guess that they were originally press fit and that the shaft of the gear has shrunk over time which causes it to slip.

For those that are unsure about attempting this, getting the clock out of the dash is a 5-minute job. I've had dash parts off several times to do various things and so this is pretty simple and only requires a 10 mm socket and wrench. Some panel tools will help too, mainly to disconnect the three elec connections on the clock/vent panel. There is a good step-by-step thread on taking the dash apart in the forum for reference.

Once you get the clock out of the vent piece it's easy to get the clock out of it's housing and probably the hardest part is to get the back of the clock mechanism off which is held on with three clips. I would use some precision flathead screw drivers and maybe some metal picks to gently release each clip. I could easily get two of the clips released but the third on the other side was obstructed somewhat and I pried on it some and after getting it off I realized that I might have wrecked it had I continued to pry on it as the shaft for the gear runs through the clock and its pivot point is in the case back. It might be possible to bend the shaft if you try to pry the back off at an angle which would probably ruin the clock.
Old 01-24-23, 09:13 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

. Hey! Just glue the white sleeve to the magnet. You will see that they are separated and they should be together, because the clock does not run correctly.
This made the most sense to me. When you get the black cover off that’s talked about earlier in this post you will see the round magnet with the plastic sleeve going through it. I had to flip the clock over and tap it a few times to get magnet and sleeve to come out. You will notice the other side of the sleeve has a gear as shown in the pics.

Last edited by lexo98; 03-25-23 at 07:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexo98:
frankymenz (01-24-23), Im2bz2p345 (04-13-23), jprebb (04-27-23)
Old 06-23-23, 05:57 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frankymenz
I also fixed my clock in my 2014 ES350, same problem. Lately every morning I get in the car it’s 10-15 minutes fast, then when leaving work 10 -15 minutes fast. I kept correcting it to see if it would fix itself, it never did. I also priced out clocks, kind of shocked to hear what people were being quoted by lexus for an out of warranty repair price. Thanks to VL450H and Tunamelt for their comments and repairs procedures. This was a simple repair, I did put the washer in backwards the 1st time, the clock didn’t work at all, tried to set it but just the light would come on, when lamps were turned on. I hadn’t completely assembled the dash, so I unplugged the clock, took it back apart, studied the washer a bit and could see the imprint more clearly on one side of where it has been riding originally against the magnet and gear. Once reassembled all worked, I set the time, making sure this was how the clock worked initially, I put the dash pieces back in, quite easy to do. All is well, almost 24 hours later and it’s still perfect. I used Elmer’s glue, if it doesn’t hold up long I will try another glue down the road, it seems like it just needs to hold a very light gear inside the magnet, the press fit from the factory must loosen up after some time and that’s when the shaft spins inside the magnet. I used a book to rest on top of the 2 glued pieces to keep a bit of force on the magnet to gear fitment. Thanks again guys, I would be willing to help anyone in the Florida vicinity to fix this, even 200 dollars is a high price to pay for this clock, a used one will more than likely fail in the short term, if it’s any good when you get it. You supply some beer and I have glue and a few dash pry tools, lol.
@frankymenz by any chance you know where that washer is?

I did following:

1) Removed trim, radio and vent cover
2) Removed clock from it
3) I removed that little cover that goes on top of magnet that is held by 3 tiny clips (one of that was bit hard)
4) I removed magnet and the gear came out with it. Magnet and that little gear wear not held to each other
5) I applied some glue to shaft so it attaches to the magnet.
6) I put everything back together

Now the clock doesn't work at all. I didn't bend shaft on that black cover at all in an way, but I am surprised after reading your notes is some kind of washer which I didn't even see while taking things apart.

Is washer between magnet and black plastic cover at top or the washer in the area where gear goes?
Old 06-23-23, 06:15 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

The washer is between the magnet and the cover, I accidentally installed mine backwards, I was able to flip the washer into the correct position and that solved my issue.
Perhaps your washer is missing? Or perhaps it’s jammed against something internal if it fell out. The pics the poster who suggested gluing the gear to the magnet may have a pic of the washer, it actually has a slight beveled shape which is why if it’s mis installed the clock locks up from the thrust force pushing against it. I just used Elmer’s glue, if I had been more careful I would’ve kept the black plastic cover bottom side down and the washer would’ve remained in the cover and shaft sticking off the cover. If you glued the gears together with super glue that would be a problem too, which I why I used Elmer’s white glue, which seemed to bother someone on this forum, lol!
Old 06-23-23, 06:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

5) I applied some glue to shaft so it attaches to the magnet.
6) I put everything back together

Now the clock doesn't work at all.
Don't you just glue the nylon gear to the ferrite magnet? Is the shaft supposed to be glued to something? Maybe the clock doesn't work now because the shaft is glued...
Old 06-23-23, 08:03 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bayareaemt
Now the clock doesn't work at all.
Even the broken clock is correct twice per day!
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
bclexus (06-24-23), jgscott (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 08:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Even the broken clock is correct twice per day!
Also remember, we are all getting older, it could be because time fly's as we age.
The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (06-23-23)

Quick Reply: Please help!!! 2014 GS 350 clock running too fast!!