Buying first GS (2014 GS FSport)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 11:23 AM
rmes350F
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rimrattler
At the carmax. Looks fairly clean.

Is the spare rim supposed to look like this?
Yes, the spare wheel looks like that
Old 12-23-18, 11:29 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are F’n awesome. Such a quick reply. Minor scratches. Nothing major. Moonroof opens and closes. No rattle. Mint condition for 115k Miles. So far a solid carmax experience.

Pictures coming soon!!!

im like a kid on Christmas. Oh wait. I am.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-25-18)
Old 12-23-18, 05:23 PM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

And she’s home. Some minor scratches that I’m sure I can get cleaned up but again I go back to how it’s otherwise cleaned up with a pristine maitenance history. Still taking it to my mechanic on Wednesday for a look under the hood and on a lift.

Enjoy these pictures. First thing I did was take off the carmax plates haha!

Couldn’t resist the obligatory new car in front of a killer sunset picture
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (12-26-18)
Old 12-25-18, 08:44 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

So been enjoying the ride. Forgot how low the car is so I’ve been driving in/out of shopping centers likely way too slow and angled.

The only item item I noticed is a likely airgap on the replacement front windshield. I hear it at high speeds. Carmax already said they’d fix it under warranty. So I’ll likely hold off tinting the front windshields until that gets seated properly in the slim scenario they have to replace the glass.

Next mods: my mechanic to thoroughly inspect, and if green lights, minor service for it, then over to my detailer for a clear bra, caliper paint, and a super detailing / light paint touch ups. Finally ending my SoCal tour with some ceramic tint all around before I take my baby back up the 5 to NorCal.

Not too far in in the future mods:
foglights / hid upgrades
interior/exterior lights
suspension
brakes (always wanted cross drilled)
maybe axelback exhaust

Merry Christmas everyone! I look forward to contributing to the community!
Old 12-25-18, 08:51 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Congrats! Very beautiful car and color! Hope it treats you well! Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-18, 09:24 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Ruh roh.

My mechanic put it on a lift and the two issues he found were:

1) front shocks were seeping oil. (Not a huge deal to me)

2) a tapping sound from the engine. Said it COULD be the beginning of engine rod knock 😞

listen and let let me know if you all think this is “normal”

i dont have the warm warm and fuzzy I had before and I don’t want to replace an engine. FYI. Car has 115k miles :/

Engine knock?

Last edited by rimrattler; 12-26-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 09:30 AM
KAH
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 7 days?

Ruh roh.

2) a tapping sound from the engine. Said it COULD be the beginning of engine rod knock 😞

i dont have the warm warm and fuzzy I had before and I don’t want to replace an engine. FYI. Car has 115k miles :/

Engine knock?
Don’t you have 7 days (no obligation) to take it back to CarMax?

If you are concerned about an engine issue out of warranty.
Old 12-26-18, 09:35 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KAH

Don’t you have 7 days (no obligation) to take it back to CarMax?

If you are concerned about an engine issue out of warranty.
yup. I have until Sunday to return it. I’m curious if other gs owners can chime in if that sound is “normal” or not. My mechanic said they can’t say for certain it’s not normal. Carmax here has the same gs 2014 but with only 35k miles here so we are going to pull it up and listen to see if that one has the noise.

Maybe im hopeful it’s a normal “Lexus” sound haha. But if it’s not normal which I’m thinking it’s not, I’ll drive it right back now and turn it back in for a full refund.
Old 12-26-18, 10:10 AM
KAH
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

yup. I have until Sunday to return it. I’m curious if other gs owners can chime in if that sound is “normal” or not. My mechanic said they can’t say for certain it’s not normal. Carmax here has the same gs 2014 but with only 35k miles here so we are going to pull it up and listen to see if that one has the noise.

Maybe im hopeful it’s a normal “Lexus” sound haha. But if it’s not normal which I’m thinking it’s not, I’ll drive it right back now and turn it back in for a full refund.

I’m biased, but regardless of brand—if I was concerned in the least about a car (especially w/115k+ miles)—I’d turn it in based on the concerns of a mechanic to be safe.

That’s just my opinion—peace of mind standpoint. I’d ask for an extended warranty built into payments if they’d offer (if you paid in cash I’d consider it).

Listening to another engine with 35k miles run is pointless. Mine doesn’t tick, others may tick.

For what it’s worth, I am a Car Max fan, but understand that they get high mile cars that are impossible to predict.

Last edited by KAH; 12-26-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 10:26 AM
rmes350F
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would return it back to Carmax. 19k is a good price however if there is issues with the car I would just walk away. There is some tapping sound coming from fuel injectors that is normal BUT no knocking from engine, that my friend is not normal. Whatever you do I hope everything works out in favor.
Old 12-26-18, 10:52 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Not worth the gamble IMHO if there is a rod knock.
Old 12-26-18, 11:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Ruh roh.

2) a tapping sound from the engine. Said it COULD be the beginning of engine rod knock ��

Engine knock?

I do not hear anything abnormal coming from the engine in the video above. The clicking (tapping) noise you hear is the direct fuel injectors firing, which is perfectly normal and heard from any engine that has a high-pressure direct fuel injection system.

To be honest, I'm a bit miffed to hear that a qualified mechanic would (a) think this engine produced a sound that may indicate that it had a rod knocking and (b) not know that this engine has a high-pressure fuel injection system that produces a clicking sound every time fuel is injected into each cylinder (assuming that he thinks the fuel injector clicking is a rod knocking ... or all 6 rods knocking). Maybe the mechanic has used a stethoscope or some other means to listen to the internals of the engine and what he heard cannot be heard from the video...but I hear nothing abnormal in the video...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-27-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 08:04 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Engine sounds normal to me too. The injectors in the GS are loud. Get a second opinion from another mechanic
Old 12-27-18, 01:37 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Ruh roh.

Engine knock?
Seems normal operation for a direct inject. I would not worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, go check another GS at CarMax and see if you hear the same sound.
Old 12-27-18, 07:12 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

This video from a 2015... from this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gine-tick.html
I think your GS is normal...

Last edited by chinee; 12-27-18 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying first GS (2014 GS FSport)