GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Buying first GS (2014 GS FSport)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 10:38 PM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buying first GS (2014 GS FSport)

Found a used 2014 GS F sport with high miles 112k, only 2 owners, clean title, and in impeccable, CLEAN, condition. All I can imagine is that the first owner had a hell of a commute and racked it up. Per AutoCheck it looks like a lease. The first owner racked up 100 miles in 4 years, then another 12k miles in the 2nd owners time for a year. Of course, I don't have any intel on the components. I put a hold on the car and I'm going to pick it up next Sunday and take it straight to my trusted Lexus/Toyota mechanic for a thorough check as I do have 7 days to return (Carmax) for a full refund.

The Lexus GS has always been my dream car since the frog-eyes days. So given the price, I'm stoked to have stumbled across it. I keep my cars forever and take good care of them. If it gets a good clean bill of health, with my modest commute, I imagine many many years of fun with this car.

While I've been lurking around this sub forum for a bit, I was hoping I could start getting a list of things to look out for or ask or make sure my mechanic pays a bit more attention to. They installed two new tires in the rear, the fronts still have about 5/32's left. No wheel rash, gray rims too (), navi, ML audio, pretty much loaded. I'm sure it was tinted all around and they had to remove the front windows, so I'll go get it re-tinted and then take my time on future mods.

Thanks and very excited to rejoin the lexus family (had a CT200h for a year--also a super fun car to own)

Old 12-17-18, 04:50 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

How much did it cost you?
Old 12-17-18, 05:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Enjoy your new car. I would service all the fluids; I do that on all the cars I play with.
Old 12-17-18, 06:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Hope it all checks out well for you! Definitely a full tune up would be in order (i would personally do a change of the spark plugs, engine oil, engine air filter, cabin filter, front/rear differential fluid, and replace the two front tires to match the rears).

I'm guessing you paid under $20,000?
Old 12-17-18, 07:39 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Hope it all checks out well for you! Definitely a full tune up would be in order (i would personally do a change of the spark plugs, engine oil, engine air filter, cabin filter, front/rear differential fluid, and replace the two front tires to match the rears).

I'm guessing you paid under $20,000?
Yup! Paying $19k. If it was non-fsport, not sure I'd get it, but given the price, fsport, and I keep my cars forever (still rolling strong on my '11 kia sorento. ha!), I couldn't pass this one up.

Curious, why would you recommend matching the front tires? my thought would be to run those down then get a new pair. It's likely got 6-8 months left if that. I understand the uneven wear, but is it that much of a difference maker? Thanks

Old 12-17-18, 07:45 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rimrattler
Yup! Paying $19k. If it was non-fsport, not sure I'd get it, but given the price, fsport, and I keep my cars forever (still rolling strong on my '11 kia sorento. ha!), I couldn't pass this one up.

Curious, why would you recommend matching the front tires? my thought would be to run those down then get a new pair. It's likely got 6-8 months left if that. I understand the uneven wear, but is it that much of a difference maker? Thanks
Personal choice: Its so the car is all set for more than just 6 months before I need to do something else to service it. Even though I bought my car certified, I had to do quite a few things before I felt content with it (rotors, tires, etc)...but more importantly, I didn't have to think about anything car related for a while...except to enjoy the drive
Old 12-17-18, 07:48 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Congrats on the car, please post pics of the car when you get a chance.
Old 12-17-18, 07:56 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

A few months back we got a Certified 2013 F Sport with just shy of 60K at Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, CA. $22,300 as I recall...
The car is perfect.
The did brakes and new tires; the next 4 services are free.
They just did the 60K service, which is a biggie, for free.

You might wanna call or check local dealers on line, just in case...
Either way, you will love the GS.
Old 12-17-18, 08:09 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A few months back we got a Certified 2013 F Sport with just shy of 60K at Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, CA. $22,300 as I recall...
The car is perfect.

Agree - the certification that comes along for the ride on the GS is a great value these days. There's a CPO 2014 F Sport GS not too far from me with 59k miles for $22,999...but the OP is certainly spending way less at $19k.
Old 12-17-18, 09:21 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Congrats on the car, please post pics of the car when you get a chance.
ABSOLUTELY. I'm making a list from the FAQ's and reading this subforum of all the things to look out for (moonroof rattle, etc)

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The car is perfect.

Great point. Fair enough to check around. At $19k, I figured it was a very good deal; not a steal per say, but a very good deal. I agree with the L/Certified. My Ct200h that I had for a year had that and it was great peace of mind. I have such an amazing local mechanic, that with the 7 day full refund policy and his eyes on the car, I would equally have the same peace of mind. If it was any other luxury brand, I'd hesitate, but given the Toyota roots, I feel much much better.

I'm also getting giddy on potential mods. Will need to settle myself and enjoy the car for a few months before lowering, adding fog lights, etc =)

I'll update this thread as soon as I get down to SoCal to check it out
Old 12-19-18, 09:00 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

So a quick update. I was able to secure the maintenance records : X ...and whew! The prev owner was VERY diligent about taking their car in for every scheduled maintenance since purchase and at a lexus dealership no less. Given the high miles, I'd imagine they were in there often. No major issues reported. All minor things and almost everything dealer suggested, was accepted and approved by the owner. 6k miles ago, they suggested replacing transmission fluid which they declined, so I'll definitely check that out and likely replace it anyway. But very relieving to see a car with these miles be very well taken care of, so it looks

I'm going to be in SoCal and want to get some basic mods done, but not sure on a few things. I'm definitely getting Tint and a full detail inside/out. Debating on the following (only want to get it done now because the wrap vendor does these and they come highly recommended and I don't want to vet vendors up here).

1) Should I put a clearbra (front + full hood) or is it a moot point given the miles? Aside from the drive back up to the Bay and maybe 1 or 2 RT's from Norcal to Socal, my daily commute is 15 miles RT. Should I save the $1k and just keep up the washes/claybars, waxing, etc? (Car will be full-time garaged).
2) Ideas/Suggestions on colors...This car is Dark Gray and I was thinking of doing a full chrome delete with black, but should I do gloss or matte? I wanted to get matte logos but not sure if that looks funny on a gray car.
3) Caliper paint suggestions - Again, I like the matte gold I've seen around, but also throwing around more traditional red / blue. If matte gold, what color should my Fsport vinyl be? haha, so many choices. It's like picking out drapes.

I do realize these are somewhat personal preferences, but if you have these color combos, would love to see pics or get your (trusted) opinions. Thanks!
Old 12-19-18, 09:12 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

So a quick update. I was able to secure the maintenance records : X ...and whew! The prev owner was VERY diligent about taking their car in for every scheduled maintenance since purchase and at a lexus dealership no less. Given the high miles, I'd imagine they were in there often. No major issues reported. All minor things and almost everything dealer suggested, was accepted and approved by the owner. 6k miles ago, they suggested replacing transmission fluid which they declined, so I'll definitely check that out and likely replace it anyway. But very relieving to see a car with these miles be very well taken care of, so it looks

I'm going to be in SoCal and want to get some basic mods done, but not sure on a few things. I'm definitely getting Tint and a full detail inside/out. Debating on the following (only want to get it done now because the wrap vendor does these and they come highly recommended and I don't want to vet vendors up here).

1) Should I put a clearbra (front + full hood) or is it a moot point given the miles? Aside from the drive back up to the Bay and maybe 1 or 2 RT's from Norcal to Socal, my daily commute is 15 miles RT. Should I save the $1k and just keep up the washes/claybars, waxing, etc? (Car will be full-time garaged).
2) Ideas/Suggestions on colors...This car is Dark Gray and I was thinking of doing a full chrome delete with black, but should I do gloss or matte? I wanted to get matte logos but not sure if that looks funny on a gray car.
3) Caliper paint suggestions - Again, I like the matte gold I've seen around, but also throwing around more traditional red / blue. If matte gold, what color should my Fsport vinyl be? haha, so many choices. It's like picking out drapes.

I do realize these are somewhat personal preferences, but if you have these color combos, would love to see pics or get your (trusted) opinions. Thanks!
-I wouldn't spend that match on a clear bra but only you know how much "damage" your daily commute can do to the areas you are looking to cover.
-Chrome delete is a personal preference - lots of folks go for that matte finish chrome delete around the grille, the side windows, tail pipes, etc.
-I've always been partial to red calipers with the white logo (if you go the blackout route, i'd say black logos). Here's mine:

Old 12-19-18, 09:34 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The clear bra will protect against 99% of rock chips. I have factory clear bar on the front bumper 86K miles and no rock chips. The Lexus paint needs it because it's soft.
I did remove the factory clear bra on the lower part of the hood at 64k miles when i bought the car and regret it, have 2 small rock chips where the clear bra would have protected. Same with the side mirrors, have one rock chip.
Or at the very least ceramic coat the car.

If I had the car new I would do full hood, bumper, and full side mirrors. Then ceramic coat the entire car. It's worth it, especially if you plan to keep the car long term, you won't regret it. The car costs $65k new another 1k to protect the paint is nothing.

Old 12-23-18, 10:55 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

At the carmax. Looks fairly clean.

Is the spare rim supposed to look like this?
Old 12-23-18, 11:18 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

At the carmax. Looks fairly clean.

Is the spare rim supposed to look like this?
Yes! Wish the stock rims were like this too. Not in yellow of course

Quick Reply: Buying first GS (2014 GS FSport)