GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS strut leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 06:47 PM
globeguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS strut leaks?

How prevalent are GS strut leaks? I found some threads on Club Lexus about people's struts leaking after very short period of time and the replacements leaking as well. Most recent one on the front page of Suspension subforum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ve-struts.html

And it seems like quality 3rd party struts are lacking, probably due to low sales volume of GS. Should a potential buyer think twice over this issue?

Last edited by globeguy; 12-19-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 08:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by globeguy
How prevalent are GS strut leaks? I found some threads on Club Lexus about people's struts leaking after very short period of time and the replacements leaking as well. Most recent one on the front page of Suspension subforum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ve-struts.html

And it seems like quality 3rd party struts are lacking, probably due to low sales volume of GS. Should a potential buyer think twice over this issue?
86k miles on my 2013 Lexus GSh no strut leaks or suspension problems. If you run bigger rims/less rubber or swap with aftermarket springs your strut is going to take a heavier beating and may lead to premature failure/leaks.
But if you keep your suspension stock and run the 18 inch rims you shouldn't have to ever worry about your strut leaking for the life of the car, unless you consistently hit some really serious potholes. I've hit a few bad potholes, but never had a bent rim or suspension problem.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-19-18 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 09:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

mines at 71k and all 4 is leaking all stock suspension. I might try the kyb extage. ><
Old 12-20-18, 05:44 AM
globeguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by richard203
mines at 71k and all 4 is leaking all stock suspension. I might try the kyb extage. ><
Is yours F-sport?
Old 12-20-18, 06:55 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

2013 Lux. Purchased in 2017 w 72k miles.

Replaced springs w Tanabes May 2018, observed no issues with any shock, will be a good case to monitor over the next few years.
Old 12-20-18, 09:37 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Unfortunately, I think it's more prevalent than your average reliable Japanese make. It's actually quite shocking to me. When I was shopping for a GS, I came across a number of used ones with service histories showing that the shocks were leaking and failed way before the warranty expired.

The shocks are about $200/piece. It's not the end of the world if you have to replace them. I think Lexus has updated the part #s on the original shocks... not sure if this is due to an improved design or because of something else.
Old 12-20-18, 10:32 AM
globeguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azipod
Unfortunately, I think it's more prevalent than your average reliable Japanese make. It's actually quite shocking to me. When I was shopping for a GS, I came across a number of used ones with service histories showing that the shocks were leaking and failed way before the warranty expired.
Did you see these history of leaks in both F-sport and base?

I was looking primarily base only, then just recently switched to looking at F-sport and found this issue. Just trying to compare notes.
Old 12-20-18, 10:44 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Did you see these history of leaks in both F-sport and base?

I was looking primarily base only, then just recently switched to looking at F-sport and found this issue. Just trying to compare notes.
Probably f-sport because it has stiffer suspension and bigger rims.
Old 12-20-18, 11:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Probably f-sport because it has stiffer suspension and bigger rims.
I think the drive mode adjustable struts on the F-Sport and Luxury models are the ones that have almost exclusively experienced the leaks.
Old 12-20-18, 11:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think the drive mode adjustable struts on the F-Sport and Luxury models are the ones that have almost exclusively experienced the leaks.
I have a 450h with adjustable suspension and no leaks 86k miles, but then again I have stock 18 inch wheels and I only drive in Sport+ mode 5% of the time.

The adjustable suspension on the f-Sport might still have a stiffer setup than the base 450h in all modes.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-20-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-20-18, 11:33 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

The F-Sport, Hybrid, and Luxury all have the exact same shocks (all same part numbers). The only difference with the F-Sport is that the electronic ride control model is tuned more aggressively only in the S+ setting. These are the models that seem to have leaking shocks.

Not sure about the base models. The base models do not have the AVS and uses non-adjustable shocks.
Old 12-20-18, 11:36 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have a 450h with adjustable suspension and no leaks 86k miles, but then again I have stock 18 inch wheels and I only drive in Sport+ mode 5% of the time.

The adjustable suspension on the f-Sport might still have a stiffer setup than the base 450h in all modes.
Yeah, I'm sure that makes a difference in helping prevent strut failure.

Lowering springs seem to add to the likelihood of failure.
Old 12-20-18, 12:15 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I noticed wetness at the tops of both rear shocks and a little on the LF, like they were leaking. Dealer said its "normal for a little wetness to appear" and did nothing. Car still drives fine, but I only have 18k right now.
Old 12-20-18, 12:57 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GR
Dealer said its "normal for a little wetness to appear."
Hey now...
Old 12-20-18, 02:22 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My 2013 GS350 F-Sport RWD blew a front shock at two years, 13,000 miles, repaired under warranty.

Quick Reply: GS strut leaks?