GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is BMW really fun driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 11:31 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

On the land and in the air, BMW can be a source of thrill. The drive was so boring that the driver fell asleep.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...ia-zw-orig.cnn

Salim
Old 12-24-18, 06:34 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl

It's an easy choice for economic buyers: sacrifice a little performance for a whopping ton of reliability.
Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Former E39 540i Sport owner here. That car drove like everyone else was in slow motion. The GS is much more reliable and tries to come close to the 540i but it's not quite there. As I got older and had a kid, I could not figure out the logistics of how to take the BMW into the shop for repairs, and then take my kid to daycare, and then go to work. Or vice versa? Logistics too complicated.
I almost bought a 535xit (wagon)..but didn't for these exact reasons..and the interior was horrible compared to my 12yr old 2002 Sportcross I had at the time.
Old 12-24-18, 06:56 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Former E39 540i Sport owner here. That car drove like everyone else was in slow motion. The GS is much more reliable and tries to come close to the 540i but it's not quite there. As I got older and had a kid, I could not figure out the logistics of how to take the BMW into the shop for repairs, and then take my kid to daycare, and then go to work. Or vice versa? Logistics too complicated.
Ahhhh.... I miss my E39 540i too. That thing was solid. The trust from the V8 made it a beast! Present day, with the GS, I still sometimes compare it back to the 540i ..... in the sense that Ise the 540i as the baseline of what a sports sedan should be.... What I find most interesting is that the E39 came out 20-years ago! It still makes a strong statement today!

Old 12-24-18, 07:55 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I read several comments on different forums that the Apexi causes long time degradation / failures. Any water to that?
I'm not really sure, I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 12-25-18, 01:55 PM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can chime in here. I still own an E93 M3 and yes, it's a completely different experience. In particular, the S65 is a bespoke motor only to be placed in the E9X series ///M cars. While my GS is spacious, comfortable, and smooth, driving an M (or BMW in any case) is meant to be a more connected driving experience. Considering that this experience is subjective, it's hard to say or write about since everyone has a very different interpretation of "the ultimate driving machine". My M is an amazing vehicle...NA V8, 8 ITBs, 8300 RPM redline is pure bliss. BMW and Lexus exist in two different worlds, achieving success in different areas. My GS in no way provides anything near the same experience as any BMW I have ever driven, new (F8X, F10, F3X) or old (E39, E9X, Z3/4M).

Maintenance is what you'd expect from a high-strung track tool. It is expensive, but if it were cheap, everyone would have one. I know some people have had bad experiences, but its a German car with a history of performance first, then luxury and reliability, it's all in their heritage. Compared to Toyota/Lexus, which is nearly the exact opposite. Thus, another reason for the unfair comparison.

Comfort + Daily Drive-ability: Lexus
Pure Driving Experience + Dual-Duty (daily/track): BMW
Old 12-25-18, 01:57 PM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I read several comments on different forums that the Apexi causes long time degradation / failures. Any water to that?
I've had mine for about a year and no issues. I don't use it every day though.
Old 12-25-18, 07:23 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I love BMW/Audi/MB's but it's too bad none of them can figure out how to make a car that isn't basically always on the edge of a repair bill waiting to happen.

-Mike
Old 12-25-18, 07:31 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonathancl
BMWs tend to have more responsive throttles, stiffer suspensions, and more cabin engine sound (either real or synthetic).

That's why many GS owners change suspension components, intake, and exhaust to improve those aspects.

It's an easy choice for economic buyers: sacrifice a little performance for a whopping ton of reliability.
In some cases its more than just economic, its also sanity. Even if someone is mr moneybags having a (whatever high brow overrated brand here) blow up/die and leave you stranded
somewhere is pretty much going to ruin your day, even if money is no object. It's not like BMW or whoever is going to just show up with another one and tow away the broken one in an hour or
less. And even if they did, it would still suck.

Worst part is most of the failures are not like things that you can easily prevent/avoid even with hyperactive PM. Otherwise people would just put up with it and throw away the bad parts at regular
intervals.

-Mike
Old 12-25-18, 07:49 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I love BMW/Audi/MB's but it's too bad none of them can figure out how to make a car that isn't basically always on the edge of a repair bill waiting to happen.

-Mike
Those cars are designed using leading technology, safety emphasis, over engineered, more precision engineered. IMO, this is the reason.
If Lexus were built like them it'd be about same. Our family members drive them fully aware of it. Not all of them are unreliable either. In the case of mine
logging ~40K miles I had 3 oil changes, cabin air filter change once. No other issues.
The following users liked this post:
M3to4GS (12-25-18)
Old 12-26-18, 02:26 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I loved the BMW I had. I also loved that it taught me how to fix cars. Now I'm just too lazy to even mod so I pick a Lexus for that; it's more than capable on the public road.
Old 12-26-18, 06:38 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Those cars are designed using leading technology, safety emphasis, over engineered, more precision engineered. IMO, this is the reason.
That’s exactly it. There’s very little margin for error on the German cars. They all have electrical gremlins, but for the most part, a reset will take care of them. Slightly worn suspension parts make those cars drive like total crap. Same with tune ups, etc. they are just far more touchy. I haven’t owned a Benz, so can’t speak to them. The Audi parts model is total insanity and once they start breaking, you need to start thinking about selling your house to cover. Everything is a component and can’t be bought as an individual part. What costs $0.15 on a BMW is $150 on an Audi. Not nearly as much DIY or aftermarket fun on Audi either and almost every repair was $1500 minimum.

For that matter, there isn’t a ton of aftermarket goodies for Lexus either, but you’re rarely looking at aftermarket to save money like the German cars. It’s usually just an upgrade of sorts.

You can can usually get down the road 50 or even 60k miles without issues on the German cars. I would never own an Audi with over 60k miles. BMWs aren’t quite as scary, but you can count on some wrenching activities starting up around there. I got off pretty cheap at my indy shop most of the time.
Old 12-26-18, 06:54 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

this thread is entertaining.

total ownership experience that goes beyond reliability issues

cutting edge powertrains
technology
nav interface
seating postion
50/50 weight balance in rain / snow and dry never an issue
design of headrests and seats
solidity and ridgity of structure
performance/economical with efficiency

etc etc. etc..
that's what makes them special,
Old 12-26-18, 09:04 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
this thread is entertaining.

total ownership experience that goes beyond reliability issues

cutting edge powertrains
technology

nav interface
seating postion
50/50 weight balance in rain / snow and dry never an issue
design of headrests and seats
solidity and ridgity of structure
performance/economical with efficiency

etc etc. etc..
that's what makes them special,
The bolded sections are where things tend to go really bad. Not sure if I'd say that makes them special to drive. it definitely makes them especially problematic and expensive. Personally not all that impressed with turbos, mappings, etc. My last BMW had none of that and was a blast, so long as you were driving around with your hair on fire. That car SUCKED at slow speeds. It was kidney punch city all day, unless you were flying around fast enough to smoothen things out.

Toyota/Lexus can do all others on the list just fine. Nav interface is debatable, though the fact that you can't enter and address while moving is just obnoxious. Sometimes we have to change an address on the fly. Don't need the nanny telling me I can't. If there's anything that makes me one to take a 12 gauge to the navi, it's this!...Different topic.....
Old 12-26-18, 09:26 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Htony
If Lexus were built like them it'd be about same. Our family members drive them fully aware of it. Not all of them are unreliable either. In the case of mine
logging ~40K miles I had 3 oil changes, cabin air filter change once. No other issues.
Lol, no it wouldn't, because I refuse to believe that Lexus would bother making something that unreliable. That's not characteristic of the brand/company at all.

I'd buy into the engineering argument if these companies had a list of stuff you would systematically replace at certain intervals to forestall the failures. Most of the "tech" in these cars is hardly new, either. All 3 of them have made cars on age-mature platforms and still produced stuff that fails way too much for its own good. It's quite obvious that they bank on throwaway culture and badge vanity, although even all 3 of the aforementioned german badges come out looking like pious saints compared to say range rover or jaguar.

Of course whats also weird is once in a blue moon all of these companies accidentally produce something that actually lasts, for example, BMW 3 or 5 series owners don't grouse nearly as much as M owners do, not by a long shot. Might have something to do with the volume of production driving out obvious problems vs time and BMW not wanting to absorb that kind of liability. It's easy to pretend a flaw doesn't exist in an M3 or M4 when not that many of the cars exist, its a lot harder to say the same for a 3 or 5 series when there's an exponentially greater pool of cars in service... or other classic examples, sometimes you see lots of old benzes still on the road. That means that at least within that one product line, the cars weren't junk, if people were willing to keep them on the road.

-Mike
Old 12-26-18, 12:16 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

The people I know who exclusively buy BMW's are those looking for prestige, looks, power and handling in an "everyday" kinda car..these are their primary priorities over reliability and longevity. Even the attention that a shiny new BMW gets trumps the Lexus in my part of town bc its a town where people like to get noticed.

Some folks in my circle wanted a BMW because of all the goodies and aftermarket stuff they can do with it - and the fact that it may be unreliable has no bearing on their desire to have one. Others who I know buy it just to lease for a few years or buy it CPO and then get rid of it and start the ownership experience again on a newer version (often avoiding the "reliability" question entirely).

Quick Reply: Is BMW really fun driving ?