GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dynamic Rear Steering—great 1st impression

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 06:06 PM
Jebsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only drive in Sport + plus mode , yes steering too light in any other mode. My GS has the Lux package. Love it!
Old 12-27-18, 06:39 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Sport S and S+ give much more feedback in the steering wheel.
I don't feel that in my non-F-Sport/non-Lux GS. It might be that Sport S mode behaves differently in non-F-Sport/non-Lux vs. Lux vs. F-Sport GS's.
Old 12-27-18, 06:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Your GS does not have a Sport+ mode? I typically change from Eco/Normal to Sport mode on the fly while driving. Do you do anything different?
I don't feel that in my non-F-Sport/non-Lux GS. It might be that Sport S mode behaves differently in non-F-Sport/non-Lux vs. Lux vs. F-Sport GS's.
Correct - My GS 350 (like yours) does not have the Sport+ mode. In our GS when you select Sport mode the steering effort increases. Sport mode also changes the throttle mapping of the engine and the shift characteristics of the transmission in our GS. The only thing that our non-F-Sport/non-Luxury GS does not have in terms of the features available in the various drive modes is the increased dampening of the struts.
Old 12-28-18, 08:32 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Correct - My GS 350 (like yours) does not have the Sport+ mode. In our GS when you select Sport mode the steering effort increases. Sport mode also changes the throttle mapping of the engine and the shift characteristics of the transmission in our GS. The only thing that our non-F-Sport/non-Luxury GS does not have in terms of the features available in the various drive modes is the increased dampening of the struts.
VGRS is also only paired with RWD F-Sports and not available on other variations of GS 350. VGRS adjusts the ratio of the steering rack between 2.3-2.7 turns lock-to-lock. AWD F-Sports and all other non F-Sports are 2.8 turns lock-to-lock under all circumstances.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-28-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 12:02 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

In this Youtube video, Engineering Explained reviews a 2014 GS350 F-Sport. At 13:44 mins, he says: "One thing you will notice in all of the modes except for the Sport+ is that the steering is pretty effortless. Doesn't really require much to get it to turn... little little feel involved. But you can change that by switching it over to the Sport+ mode. And when you do that it really does increase the amount of effort it takes in order to turn that steering wheel which is kinda nice ... " Repeats that again at 18:58 mins.

Glad to know I am not the only one who cannot perceive any change in steering feel from Eco/Normal to Sport mode.

Last edited by bb700092; 12-29-18 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

In this Youtube video, Engineering Explained reviews a 2014 GS350 F-Sport. At 13:44 mins, he says: "One thing you will notice in all of the modes except for the Sport+ is that the steering is pretty effortless. Doesn't really require much to get it to turn... little little feel involved. But you can change that by switching it over to the Sport+ mode. And when you do that it really does increase the amount of effort it takes in order to turn that steering wheel which is kinda nice ... " Repeats that again at 18:58 mins.

Glad to know I am not the only one who cannot perceive any change in steering feel from Eco/Normal to Sport mode.

We apparently have a disconnect in communications. The video is about a GS 350 F-Sport, which has Sport+ drive mode. The steering effort DOES NOT increase in Sport drive mode in the F-Sport or Luxury package models - steering effort ONLY increases in Sport+ drive mode. The Base and Premium package models do not have Sport+ drive mode - steering effort increases when Sport drive mode is selected. Thus, what the guy in the video stated was absolutely correct for the F-Sport package, which is the only package he was talking about.

Correct me if I am wrong bb700092, but I think you have a non-F-Sport/non-Luxury GS 350 that does NOT have Sport+ drive mode. If that is correct then your steering effort increases when you go to Sport drive mode. The steering on GS 350 models with Sport+ drive mode only increases effort when they go to Sport+ drive mode.

Look at the image below from Lexus that explains what features are changed in the different GS 350 drive modes:
  • 'Increased Steering Feedback' is initiated in Sport drive mode when the car does NOT have AVS (adjustable strut dampening), which are the Base and Premium packages.
  • 'Increased Steering Feedback' is initiated in Sport+ drive mode when the car does have AVS (adjustable strut dampening), which are the F-Sport and Luxury packages.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-29-18 at 10:43 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by bclexus:
bb700092 (12-29-18), Dreamcast (03-15-22), Im2bz2p345 (12-29-18), rmes350F (12-29-18), signdetres (12-29-18)
Old 12-29-18, 11:15 AM
signdetres
Racer

Thank you for sharing that chart, @bclexus. I had a hunch Sport S+ mode loosened the reigns on the stability control systems (VDIM is a blanket system that incorporates them all into one) as it lets you get a little sideways if you power through sharp turns. Wasn't positive but I definitely noticed it became more tail happy and that confirms it, thank you
Old 12-29-18, 11:57 AM
signdetres
Racer

I found this list of "all the cars you can buy with four-wheel steering" and there are only 23 cars on it. Quite an exclusive list with impressive company

https://www.motor1.com/features/2392...ering/2982478/
Old 12-29-18, 04:53 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 322 Likes on 233 Posts

I just drove around extensively in parking lots. On my f sport steering resistance definitely increases between eco/normal and sport, very subtly. Then in s+ it is extremely noticeable. A good way to test is to change drive modes as you are actively turning the steering wheel. The S resistance is only slightly more than eco/normal, but is there.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-29-18)
Old 12-29-18, 05:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by np20412
I just drove around extensively in parking lots. On my f sport steering resistance definitely increases between eco/normal and sport, very subtly. Then in s+ it is extremely noticeable. A good way to test is to change drive modes as you are actively turning the steering wheel. The S resistance is only slightly more than eco/normal, but is there.
You are mistaken. In an F-Sport package the steering effort does not increase at all (zero - none) in Sport drive mode. In the F-Sport package you must go to Sport+ to have the increased steering effort.
Old 12-29-18, 06:26 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
You are mistaken. In an F-Sport package the steering effort does not increase at all (zero - none) in Sport drive mode. In the F-Sport package you must go to Sport+ to have the increased steering effort.
I agree with np20412. I did some extensive driving yesterday and did some playing around. There are very subtle differences between each mode. He's correct. In addition, Eco mode does in fact seem to lock in the steering ratio to the slowest setting even while on the move. I tested this at freeway speeds. Very noticeable difference in response when wiggling the wheel back in forth when in Eco vs Normal. In addition, Normal mode has heavier steering weight than Eco mode and, likewise, Sport S has heavier steering weight and quicker response than Normal. In addition, I previously stated road feedback was similar in Eco and Normal. Again, after testing last night, I found this to not be true. Normal has a bit more feedback than I remember. Eco is the one that nearly completely numbs it but still leaves it feeling direct and connected to the road, just slow and smooth with inputs. It's truly akin to a "comfort" mode and this is the mode I enjoy driving around in most.

@np20412, you're correct.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-29-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 06:35 PM
signdetres
Racer

I'd like to kindly remind everyone that over 1,000,000 test miles went into the development of the 4th generation GS. This is the equivalent of driving around the world 24 times. Lexus engineers spent a lot of time and energy fine-tuning every aspect of these cars. These are very advanced, fine-tuned & well-developed machines with incredible capabilities.
Old 12-29-18, 06:37 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Is the GS the first to introduce it to the class? That list pretty much shows every lux brand thats mid-size and larger have it now.
Old 12-29-18, 06:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
I agree with np20412. I did some extensive driving yesterday and did some playing around. There are very subtle differences between each mode. He's correct. In addition, Eco mode does in fact seem to lock in the steering ratio to the slowest setting even while on the move. I tested this at freeway speeds. Normal mode has heavier steering weight and quicker response than Eco mode and Sport S has heavier steering weight and quicker response than Normal. In addition, I previously stated road feedback was similar in Eco and Normal. Again, after testing last night, Normal has a bit more feedback than I remember. Eco is the one that nearly completely numbs it but still leaves it feeling direct and connected to the road, just slow and smooth with inputs. It's truly akin to a "comfort" mode and this is the mode I enjoy driving around in most.

@np20412, you're correct.
Now we are hearing that "there are very subtle differences between each mode"! Wow! You say that; "normal mode has heavier steering weight than Eco mode" and "Sport S [mode] has heavier steering weight than normal [mode]". I don't know what else to say, other than Lexus most definitely does not agree with you!

Are you saying that Lexus has designed a slight difference in steering effort (feedback) between each of the drive modes, but does not tell us about it? Why would they waste the money to do this? It makes no sense! And, 'if' they did do such a thing - why wouldn't Lexus tell us about it when describing their Drive Modes?

Last edited by bclexus; 12-29-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 06:57 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Inspired by this thread, I took the family on a drive through the mountains and to the beach yesterday. I'm the first to admit it may all be in my head but I really can feel no resistance when changing lanes etc with rear wheel steering on. The vehicle effortlessly turns in with a smoothness not experienced in anything I've driven

Quick Reply: Dynamic Rear Steering—great 1st impression