GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Have you used 0W20 synthetic blend oil for 12 mo/10k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 07:04 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Have you used 0W20 synthetic blend oil for 12 mo/10k miles?

Recently I went to my Lexus dealership for the routine oil change. This is my second oil change (24 mo/20k miles). My service adviser (same guy from the beginning) told me that my car (2016 GS 200T) came with synthetic blend oil, that is what they put in during the first oil change, and that is what they will put in this time. I was surprised as I had the understanding that 12 mo/10k miles interval oil changes require full synthetic oil.

So I did some search in the Lexus forums and came across this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...synthetic.html . Many CL members have said that 0W20 is always a synthetic oil which is not true. Here are two examples of 0W20 synthetic blend motor oils:

HavolineŽ Synthetic Blend Motor Oil SAE 0W-20: https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...motor-oil.html
(specifically states: "They are specially formulated for use in turbocharged engines.")

Pennzoil Gold 0W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ..._Gold_0W20.pdf

Here are two posts by UDel that I found informative. It would have been more useful if he included his source of information:

Originally Posted by UDel
Even what is advertised as a "full synthetic" or "synthetic" in the US over a "synthetic blend" if often not a actual Group 4 full synthetic. They are able to advertise a highly refined synthetic blend in the US as synthetic for the past few years as opposed to other countries where it has to be full Group 4 synthetic to be advertised as synthetic. The full group 4 synthetics in the US are German Castrol OW 30, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Motul, Redline, and a few others. Mobile 1 5W 30, Penzoil, and the stuff Lexus puts in at the dealership are generally not full Group 4 synthetics but refined synthetic blends. US Castrol oils are highly refined synthetic blends, the ones from Germany or European countries are full Group 4.
Originally Posted by UDel
There was a legality issue in the US with what they could call a "synthetic" and synthetic blend years ago, if they are dancing around it, it likely means it is a refined synthetic blend and not a full Group 4. German Castrol OW-30 is definitely a Group 4 Synthetic, it is not as common as other Castrol product but you can find it at stores in quart bottles. I think the new Mobil 1 that is said to last a year and is pretty expensive is a Group 4, I believe the European formula OW 40 oils are Group 4's. Most OW 20's sold in stores as synthetics I don't think are full Group 4's but refined synthetic blends. Royal Purple is Group 4 but I have heard mixed reviews of it, many not so good with turbo engines so I don't bother with it. Amsoil sells Group 4 but it is expensive, same with Motul, Redline, and a few others.
Has anyone been using 0W20 synthetic blend motor oil in your GS 350/200T/300 for 12 mo/10k miles oil change intervals?

Last edited by bb700092; 12-26-18 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 08:13 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.... never seen a 0-20 blend in stores.
In my humble opinion, I would not use a blend when there are so many synthetics readily available, especially with a turbo. You would want to get the most protection you can get.
I have used Mob1 0-20 synthetic since we got our GS350 at 18k and now have 81k on it. Smooth as day we got it and uses no oil.
This is backed up with oil samples. I have not studied the turbo engine as I have the v6, however. I would suggest running a good synthetic, especially for a 10k interval.
Not trying to get into a oil debate or say Mob1 is the best, but with so many good synthetics available, choose a brand you like and you will be good to go..

Just my take on it.
Old 12-27-18, 04:54 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

shouldn't go 10k with a standard oil filter in a oil change with synthetic or blend

personally the blend is ok but if you have a 2.0 turbo using blend might make sense to change the oil every 6-7k

just personal opinion, unless all highway

for me full synthetic and change at 7500-9 k if i am doing mostly highway
Old 12-27-18, 04:57 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Factory oil is synthetic, see pics below, but not sure if it's a synthetic blend. I would not worry about it since this is the oil Toyota/Lexus designed for 10k miles oil changes. I see you can get 12 qurts of the factory oil for $67 on eBay, more expensive than the Mobil 1 full synthetic pricing you get at walmart.

walmart has 5 quarts for $25.47 free 2 day shipping

https://tinyurl.com/ycerhgsf​​​​​​

I do my own oil change and tire rotation at 10k miles sometimes slightly longer. Less than 10k intervals is an unnecessary waste of money/overkill.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-27-18 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bb700092 (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 05:20 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

toyota has a blend and a full synthetic

the oil filter is the challenge at 10k-12k

if its a 3.5 v6 no issue with 10k
if it's 2.0 turbo 7500 changes would be better
Old 12-27-18, 09:27 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

And you can bet Toyota does not refine its own oil. The bottle sez Exxon-Mobil.
They probably source their oil from different distributors, based on location and price.
Just guessing...
Old 12-27-18, 09:52 AM
GSEREP111
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Synthetic oil blend 0w 20

All,
I have not used a synthetic blend in my 2013 GS 350. I purchased this car in 2016 as a certified vehicle with 30,000 miles. The dealer performed the first 4 services free in 5k intervals, with an oil change every other service. My understanding was that the dealership used Toyota 0W-20 synthetic oil.

After the 20000 miles of dealer services, I started doing it myself. I used Toyota oil for one more change, and then started using AMSOIL 0W 20 Synthetic oil with Toyota filter. I now have 96,000 miles with oil changes every 10000 miles.

I have no lubrication issues, and no leaks or loss of oil through burning. What I put in, I take out at 10000 miles.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with Amsoil. What I find interesting is the fact that this oil suspends impurities quickly. That means the oil doesn't stay clean the entire interval as some expect synthetic oil to do. At 10000 miles I see significant byproducts of combustion coming out. During the interval when I check my oil at fuel stops, I can see the color change significantly as time progresses. When I look inside the valve cover at the fill port, everything looks very clean and shiny.
I'm convinced the oil is doing its job.
Just my comments!
Old 12-28-18, 10:21 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSEREP111
All,
I have not used a synthetic blend in my 2013 GS 350. I purchased this car in 2016 as a certified vehicle with 30,000 miles. The dealer performed the first 4 services free in 5k intervals, with an oil change every other service. My understanding was that the dealership used Toyota 0W-20 synthetic oil.

After the 20000 miles of dealer services, I started doing it myself. I used Toyota oil for one more change, and then started using AMSOIL 0W 20 Synthetic oil with Toyota filter. I now have 96,000 miles with oil changes every 10000 miles.

I have no lubrication issues, and no leaks or loss of oil through burning. What I put in, I take out at 10000 miles.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with Amsoil. What I find interesting is the fact that this oil suspends impurities quickly. That means the oil doesn't stay clean the entire interval as some expect synthetic oil to do. At 10000 miles I see significant byproducts of combustion coming out. During the interval when I check my oil at fuel stops, I can see the color change significantly as time progresses. When I look inside the valve cover at the fill port, everything looks very clean and shiny.
I'm convinced the oil is doing its job.
Just my comments!
i really want to start doing this as well im just too paranoid lol. I guess im worried about fuel dilution from the direct injection and all the soot and dirt that builds up staying in the oil and circulating
Old 12-28-18, 10:30 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Doing the oil change is easy on this car. I just jack up the drivers side of the car and put a stand underneath as backup(also have the e-brake engaged, for safety). This way the drain plug is at the lowest most point and I can drain as much oil out as possible.

For the filter I just unscrew the whole thing, swap out the filter element and put on a new gasket, before putting everything back together.

Then I just dump 7 quarts into the engine(I think capacity for 450h is 6.8 quarts), check the oil level after a first drive. I think beween min and max on the dipstick is 1 full quart, so you have plenty of margin, so dumping 7 quarts gets me above the halfway mark, perfect

I also went from previous owner/dealer mantained factory oil to Mobile 1 full synthetic from walmart.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-28-18 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 06:34 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar

i really want to start doing this as well im just too paranoid lol. I guess im worried about fuel dilution from the direct injection and all the soot and dirt that builds up staying in the oil and circulating
These engines are so precise and have such tight tolerances that they can run 0W20 that they don't get the oil very dirty very quickly. Older cars were built looser and ran thicker oils to keep them from beating themselves apart.
Old 12-31-18, 04:23 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
These engines are so precise and have such tight tolerances that they can run 0W20 that they don't get the oil very dirty very quickly. Older cars were built looser and ran thicker oils to keep them from beating themselves apart.
yeah I just read a pretty heavy 25 page post from the RCF forums and I think I’m going to be switching to either RLI0W 20 or Amsoil signature series 0W 20 and possibly a wix xp changed out at 5k with oil at 10k
Old 01-03-19, 07:51 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is the response I received from Lexus.

My question: What kind of oil -- synthetic or synthetic blend -- is recommended by Lexus for my GS 200T?

Lexus' response: As it turns out, as the warrantor we don't have a recommendation regarding synthetic or synthetic blend oil, but rather solely the viscosity of the oil. Lexus recommends the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 viscosity oil for installation in your vehicle. If you have a different viscosity oil in your engine, just have it replaced with the correct viscosity at your next oil change. It will not harm your engine but you may get lower fuel economy as the oil is not as viscous as the 20 weight oils.
Old 01-04-19, 06:25 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Here is the response I received from Lexus.

My question: What kind of oil -- synthetic or synthetic blend -- is recommended by Lexus for my GS 200T?

Lexus' response: As it turns out, as the warrantor we don't have a recommendation regarding synthetic or synthetic blend oil, but rather solely the viscosity of the oil. Lexus recommends the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 viscosity oil for installation in your vehicle. If you have a different viscosity oil in your engine, just have it replaced with the correct viscosity at your next oil change. It will not harm your engine but you may get lower fuel economy as the oil is not as viscous as the 20 weight oils.
Pretty much what I expected. Thicker oil is only needed for hotter climates and the 0W20 is a good all around oil for most of the US short of Death Valley. Conventional oil can probably go longer than most people are comfortable with but it requires testing a sample to be sure so you might as well change it for the same money. Now days, the premium for synthetic is marginal compared to what it used to be.
Old 01-04-19, 07:34 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

FWIW, I always used convention oil in my 2000 Camry. Changed the oil once a year as the manual stated every 5K to 7,500 miles. Car still runs like a champ today. People put to much emphasis on oil. I just do what the manual says.
Old 01-04-19, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thin oil weights like 0 and 20 are needed for cold climates, in warmer climates you can run slightly thicker like 5W-30 which is a lot more available. Have 6 cars in the family fleet I have to look after and I use 5W-30 for most

Quick Reply: Have you used 0W20 synthetic blend oil for 12 mo/10k miles?