Weird idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 09:16 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Weird idle issue

Hi fellow GS members,

I have gotten a weird vibration that can be felt throughout the car at idle(usually at a red light) it has occurred about 3 times throughout the week. I first experienced this issue after having my car serviced two weeks ago. The rear parking sensor was replaced due to be faulty and the key battery was replaced (doubt these have anything to do with it). The only other symptoms that i can attribute to this is the fact that occasionally get a burning smell from the vents when the heater is on, and sometimes a gasoline smell(very rare). I am going to have the car checked out regardless but i don't see how the car coincidentally started having this issue after being serviced, its possible that they are unrelated but i just find this odd. Also nothing that was serviced that i could think of could have really caused this. There are no warnings light and this problem rarely occurs. I am afraid they wont find the problem because its so rare it only happens once a day(if that sometimes never) for about 5-10 seconds then stops for the rest of the day. The car has 58,000 kms(its an f sport and 2015) so i am clueless as to what it could be. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thank you all for your help much appreciated.
Old 12-28-18, 09:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I think you'll probably be wasting your time taking the car in to have a technician try to find what the problem is considering it doesn't happen but a few times a week, and there is no 'check engine light'.

I suggest making a few (safe) WOT runs every day until you run the gasoline down to ¼ tank or less and then fill up with a different brand of Tier 1 'premium' gasoline.

It could be something as simple as a dirty throttle body, or maybe your car is still going through the relearning process after the car was serviced if the technician did something to remove the engine ECU memory. I think that chances are good that it will clear up after a few dozen WOT runs using a different brand of Tier 1 'premium' gasoline.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-28-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-28-18, 11:22 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you'll probably be wasting your time taking the car in to have a technician try to find what the problem is considering it doesn't happen but a few times a week, and there is no 'check engine light'.

I suggest making a few (safe) WOT runs every day until you run the gasoline down to ¼ tank or less and then fill up with a different brand of Tier 1 'premium' gasoline.

It could be something as simple as a dirty throttle body, or maybe your car is still going through the relearning process after the car was serviced if the technician did something to remove the engine ECU memory. I think that chances are good that it will clear up after a few dozen WOT runs using a different brand of Tier 1 'premium' gasoline.

I currently use 91(premium gasoline) from shell.Thank you for this suggestion i appreciate it, i really do hope its just going through a relearning process.
Old 12-28-18, 01:16 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Hi fellow GS members,

I have gotten a weird vibration that can be felt throughout the car at idle(usually at a red light) it has occurred about 3 times throughout the week. I first experienced this issue after having my car serviced two weeks ago. The rear parking sensor was replaced due to be faulty and the key battery was replaced (doubt these have anything to do with it). The only other symptoms that i can attribute to this is the fact that occasionally get a burning smell from the vents when the heater is on, and sometimes a gasoline smell(very rare). I am going to have the car checked out regardless but i don't see how the car coincidentally started having this issue after being serviced, its possible that they are unrelated but i just find this odd. Also nothing that was serviced that i could think of could have really caused this. There are no warnings light and this problem rarely occurs. I am afraid they wont find the problem because its so rare it only happens once a day(if that sometimes never) for about 5-10 seconds then stops for the rest of the day. The car has 58,000 kms(its an f sport and 2015) so i am clueless as to what it could be. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thank you all for your help much appreciated.
I sometimes smell burning odor. Still experience it from time to time. Could be a very minor oil seepage that burns off when the heater is on. I smell it very randomly and very far apart. Had Lexus look at it and they told me that it's normal and happens on occasion. Still, I'd have it checked out if it gives you peace of mind.
Old 12-28-18, 02:09 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't thank an oil smell is normal and oil seepage is an oil leak why would the dealer say that normal to smell oil. and how come your not using 93 octane
Old 12-28-18, 03:47 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
I don't thank an oil smell is normal and oil seepage is an oil leak why would the dealer say that normal to smell oil. and how come your not using 93 octane
I use Costco 93 octane. Tier 1 gas. Can't get any better in this area.
Old 12-29-18, 03:36 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
The shell gas stations around me only go up to 91 my only other options are esso which offers 93 (had issues with esso before in a different car so not going to use it again) or petro 94. Also isn't the recommended octane 91 for this car ?
Old 12-29-18, 04:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
The shell gas stations around me only go up to 91 my only other options are esso which offers 93 (had issues with esso before in a different car so not going to use it again) or petro 94. Also isn't the recommended octane 91 for this car ?
Top Tier Gasoline Brand Listings

gs350lex - Click on 'Canada' in the above link for your country's list.