GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Piano Black Gloss Finish

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 08:34 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Piano Black Gloss Finish

One of the current trend of manufactures is the overuse the FUGLY Piano black finish in all the worst areas. I am sure I'm in the minority on this but I simply think the use of piano black gloss finish in interiors is terrible and are magnets for fingerprints, dust, shows scratches, etc and is always in need to constantly clean the surface. Although our GS only has it in a few areas,They are relatively in high touch volume areas like the window button panels and center console shiftier. If it had it in the infotainment I certainty would have not purchased the vehicle, that is how much I hate the look and finish. Anyway, I digress. This brings me to my point, are there any aftermarket overlays or new finishes I can replace all my black piano finish surfaces? Has anyone done this before? If so please share photos and any information plus your opinions and thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 01-03-19 at 08:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-03-19, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It doesn't bother me too much, as I don't really touch it, but it definitely shows dust.

With that, do a thorough search on the GS forum because several owners have modified the area with wraps and there are some good pictures on here.
Old 01-03-19, 09:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

My shift panel was really scratched up(second owner), I ended up buying a new one, then ceramic coating it. Scratch free for the last year. At first I tried buffing it out myself, but could never get it 100% scratch free.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-03-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-03-19, 09:03 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yeah I hate piano black gloss finish too. I attempted to wrap my window buttons panel but it was quite difficult with all the slight curves and bend and lots of intricate cuts, so I gave up. And I didn't do the shift plates because it will cover up the shift point print, so I skipped. I may attempt again someday. I know a member on here have done it, search you will probably find his photos.
Old 01-03-19, 09:34 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

I know what you mean. But they will keep doing it as long as we buy them! Do you feel the same about cars with a black exterior color? Those are DIFFICULT to keep clean and scratch-free..... But there will always be a handful out there who buys them... so they will keep making them that way.
Old 01-03-19, 10:07 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azipod
I know what you mean. But they will keep doing it as long as we buy them! Do you feel the same about cars with a black exterior color? Those are DIFFICULT to keep clean and scratch-free..... But there will always be a handful out there who buys them... so they will keep making them that way.
How's this for irony. I own an Obsidian GS but that is an exterior paint that I maintain very well and not too concerned on that end. But that as an exterior paint color and expected to have imperfections and perhaps more prone to scratches, dust etc..but when it comes to interior, black piano gloss finish has no business doing inside of any cabin interior.
Old 01-03-19, 12:33 PM
slainla
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree on the piano black being a horrible finish. It looks like crap with any fingerprints or smudges. And those sceatches are so visible. Totally makes a luxury car looks cheap.
Old 01-03-19, 01:48 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't like it either but frankly there is so little of it in this car it is literally not worth worrying about. I'd feel differently if half the dashboard was made out of it or something.

Scratches, what are you guys doing, dragging knives across your window switch banks and center console?

-Mike
Old 01-03-19, 04:06 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Just cover with Expel then ya don't have to worry about scratching finish. I keep a Swiffer in my car and don't have a problem with it.
Old 01-03-19, 05:44 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
How's this for irony. I own an Obsidian GS but that is an exterior paint that I maintain very well and not too concerned on that end. But that as an exterior paint color and expected to have imperfections and perhaps more prone to scratches, dust etc..but when it comes to interior, black piano gloss finish has no business doing inside of any cabin interior.
You can also give the shifter trim a quick wipe with the same towel you use to dry your car after each wash.
Considering how much care is required to keep a black vehicle nice... I'm sort of surprised that the dust/smudges on the shifter bugs you. (no pun intended).
What do you have that makes it so filthy? This isn't really an area that people put their greasy palms/fingers on.....
Old 01-03-19, 09:20 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azipod
You can also give the shifter trim a quick wipe with the same towel you use to dry your car after each wash.
Considering how much care is required to keep a black vehicle nice... I'm sort of surprised that the dust/smudges on the shifter bugs you. (no pun intended).
What do you have that makes it so filthy? This isn't really an area that people put their greasy palms/fingers on.....
It's not that I'm causing to be filthy, I dont eat food inside or am a hoarder I like to keep a tight ship. But its the subtle dust, finger prints and and other crumbs and crap that can get on there. I keep a micro cloth towel on hand (inside the door pocket) at all times to wipe it down. Its just prone to dust and can easily see it all the time and fingerprints/smears are like magnets in this area especially the window button panels. I may vinyl wrap all this trim and see how that goes. It's more of annoyance than anything. 1st world problems you know?
Old 01-04-19, 12:13 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep a Swiffer duster in my glove box.