GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 lexus gs350 awd transmission vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 08:33 PM
Sergl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 lexus gs350 awd transmission vibrates

I encountered a problem on my lexus around 70k miles. It has 94k miles now.
Between 2-4 rpm and 2 to 3 gear and sometimes 3-4 gear just has this vibration. I'm thinking torque converter?
anybody have this problem?
And the speed it happens at it like 25 to 40 mph.

Last edited by Sergl; 01-08-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 02:11 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergl
Between 2-4 rpm and 2 to 3 gear and sometimes 3-4 gear just has this vibration. I'm thinking torque converter?
I'm having the same exact issue, I'm debating on taking to the dealer since I have an extended warranty on it. I'm assuming a lot of these have these issues, but most people don't notice or care to notice, and it doesn't have an effect on longevity of the car.
Old 09-13-20, 03:50 PM
awdlyfe
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sergl
Have you ever changed transmission fluid?
Old 09-13-20, 04:17 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Originally Posted by awdlyfe
Have you ever changed transmission fluid?
Yes, did that as soon as I got the car at 95k. The magnets were a little dirty with metal (totally normal amount) and the fluid was dark but wasn’t burnt. I’m not sure if it was happening prior to it or not, but it shifted a lot better after.

EDIT: whoops, didn’t realize that was a question for the other guy 😆😆😆
Old 09-13-20, 04:51 PM
awdlyfe
Rookie

That’s ok. Was it done at the dealer or an independent shop? If it was done recently, drive around some more and see if it goes away within the next 3-5k. A lot of the awd models have this “shudder/vibration”.
Old 09-13-20, 05:45 PM
SebastianD
Driver

That’s ok. Was it done at the dealer or an independent shop? If it was done recently, drive around some more and see if it goes away within the next 3-5k. A lot of the awd models have this “shudder/vibration”.
I’m a General Service Tech, so I did it myself. Used WS fluid, changed the filter, and level checked it correctly. I’m at 100,800 miles now, and it’s only there sometimes, but I’m wondering if it’s considered “normal” or not?
Old 09-13-20, 05:57 PM
awdlyfe
Rookie

Originally Posted by SebastianD
I’m a General Service Tech, so I did it myself. Used WS fluid, changed the filter, and level checked it correctly. I’m at 100,800 miles now, and it’s only there sometimes, but I’m wondering if it’s considered “normal” or not?
I think it is unfortunately more less “normal” for this to occur. Again, report back to us after a few more miles, it may just go away. Out of curiosity, where are you located? The Canadian models specify to change the fluid every 60k miles (100,000 kilometres)
Old 09-13-20, 06:13 PM
SebastianD
Driver

I definitely will! I am located in Minnesota, so I'm just right around the corner! The car was originally from New York and got sold around 40k to rich dude here in Minnesota. Apparently worked for Protective Services (whatever that means) and drove 18k a year on it. I'm assuming all highway miles, since the house saved on the cars "home" setting was pretty far from the main city.
Old 09-26-20, 05:24 PM
awdlyfe
Rookie

Bringing this up again. Is there anyone on here that has an AWD model that has NOT changed the fluid, and experienced this vibration ?
Old 09-26-20, 05:33 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Bringing this up again. Is there anyone on here that has an AWD model that has NOT changed the fluid, and experienced this vibration ?
Just to update you, I replaced my mass air flow sensor with the most recently updated part (I was getting weird symptoms and bad gas mileage), and it solved most of the weird vibrations and shifting issues for me. Kinda weird how those can correlate, but I guess the engine and transmission work in conjunction.
Old 09-27-20, 05:13 PM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Just to update you, I replaced my mass air flow sensor with the most recently updated part (I was getting weird symptoms and bad gas mileage), and it solved most of the weird vibrations and shifting issues for me. Kinda weird how those can correlate, but I guess the engine and transmission work in conjunction.
Out of curiosity, how bad was the gas mileage?
Old 09-27-20, 05:44 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Originally Posted by robd88
Out of curiosity, how bad was the gas mileage?
In my area I was averaging 15-16mpg with the old part (22204-28010) and now I’m around 18-19mpg with the most updated version (22204-0V010). I also noted a difference in acceleration smoothness. I do a lot of heavy accelerating on highway entrances and whatnot; after the new part, my fuel economy still went up. It also made the engine feel healthier overall, shifting felt better, was definitely worth the $150. Got it straight from the dealer. The win/lose situation with Toyota products are that even when parts fail, sometimes they don’t fail 😂. That can be nice for longevity, but a pain in the butt to try to figure out what parts have weaknesses.
Old 09-27-20, 06:11 PM
MissMy93Sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

can you explain how to level checked the fluid?
Old 09-28-20, 04:59 AM
awdlyfe
Rookie

. Interesting. Would you say that took care of 90% of the shudder ? How many drain and fills did you perform when you serviced the transmission last.
Old 09-28-20, 07:35 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds similar to my current issue. I wonder if just cleaning the MAF sensor would do the trick instead of purchasing a new one.

Quick Reply: 2013 lexus gs350 awd transmission vibrates