GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dash resetting during driving. Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 10:50 AM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash resetting during driving. Cause?

2013 GS350 F Sport owner here...so I've had an issue in the last few days where my dash is resetting mid-drive. When I say reset I mean like gauges turn off and turn right back on, navigations screen restarts all the way to "Lexus Enform" screen and turns back on. It's like all power besides the engine turns off for a second. It always comes back on immediately though. Not sure if it's related but my clock is also not keeping accurate time when I turn the car off for the night. Also, it happened this morning when I had just turned the car on and was accelerating. I also just got a new battery (not sure if related) and had no problems before that. Is there anyway this could be caused by the battery? I didn't think batteries were used after the car started but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to inner workings of new cars. Any ideas?
Old 01-11-19, 11:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,531 Posts

That truly is strange! I'm not sure what could have possibly caused that problem by replacing the battery, but ... Did a dedicated battery shop (e.g. NTB) replace the battery? Maybe a Lexus dealership's service department (hopefully) do it - because Lexus would have to fix it at no-charge if they replaced the battery and caused the problem.

It sounds like electrical power is being removed (opened) from the entire dash area (and maybe other items like seats, windows, etc.?), yet not removed from the various onboard computer units and controls that are needed for the engine, transmission, steering, braking, etc.

Does it happen often enough for a Lexus technician to experience it - or does it happen randomly where a technician would have to get lucky to have it happen while driving it? If it happens often, I would have Lexus take a look at it. I'd say it's probably going to take Lexus to troubleshoot the problem and fix it.
Old 01-11-19, 12:33 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does it happen often enough for a Lexus technician to experience it - or does it happen randomly where a technician would have to get lucky to have it happen while driving it? If it happens often, I would have Lexus take a look at it. I'd say it's probably going to take Lexus to troubleshoot the problem and fix it.
I would say it happens every third time I drive. So Lexus may be able to reproduce it. It resets and boots back up so fast (like a lightswitch being flicked on and off) that I can't really test which areas are effected. Engine definitely isn't turning off though.
Old 01-11-19, 12:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's almost like a main voltage source is loose at a junction block or fuse block that feeds the dash area, but if that was the case I would expect it to break contact far more often (like when hitting bumps, turning/cornering, etc.) than just every third time you drive the car. I find this event to be very strange indeed.

Please keep us informed about it...
Old 01-11-19, 04:47 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

My 2c..OP let's look at it logically. It sounds like your 'accessories' are dropping off(does the blower fan stop too? That would confirm this theory)
Start from the top and work your way down.. check the terminations at the battery. Load test the battery, your roadside assistance company should do this for free.

Then look at the fuse and relay controlling the accessories.
If the relay and fuse seem OK, swap them if possible. Find a bumpy road to eliminate the idea of a loose connection.

I don't know why the relay would be commanded to drop off if it comes back on again.... Unless a computer is rebooting. I would imagine a code would be logged for that, a Techstream scan would quickly pick that up. If you have a Toyota nut friend they'll have the software.

Good luck. Short of error codes leading you to a fix you may find the dealer having the car for a while.
Old 01-12-19, 07:34 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to say battery maybe be the alternator takes over after the car is started
Old 01-12-22, 01:41 PM
mckiekb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scarru
2013 GS350 F Sport owner here...so I've had an issue in the last few days where my dash is resetting mid-drive. When I say reset I mean like gauges turn off and turn right back on, navigations screen restarts all the way to "Lexus Enform" screen and turns back on. It's like all power besides the engine turns off for a second. It always comes back on immediately though. Not sure if it's related but my clock is also not keeping accurate time when I turn the car off for the night. Also, it happened this morning when I had just turned the car on and was accelerating. I also just got a new battery (not sure if related) and had no problems before that. Is there anyway this could be caused by the battery? I didn't think batteries were used after the car started but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to inner workings of new cars. Any ideas?
Did you figure out what was wrong?
Old 01-12-22, 02:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like you have a dead battery.

Just so you know, the simple act of replacing a battery has many times caused all sorts of problems (e.g A/C, NAV, electric emergency brake, etc., etc.) for 4GS owners over the years.

Yes, you need a sound battery along with a good working alternator for the car's electric system to be happy and operate correctly. It doesn't like being powered by the alternator alone, which is the same as driving the car with a dead battery - and having started the car with a jump start. That's a good way to damage the alternator by blowing diodes as well as damaging the A/C or NAV or locking-up the electric emergency brake and needing to have it towed into the dealer for repairs.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-12-22 at 06:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-22-22, 02:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Well my nav just randomly reset today while driving but the gauges were fine, only the nav went blank and reset on its own. The car drove fine and I think this is the first time it happened in 3 years of ownership.

Probably some glitch in the nav CPU? 2019 GS so this is a Gen 9 unit I think.
Old 01-22-22, 03:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Hard drive glitch maybe?
Old 01-22-22, 05:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Hard drive glitch maybe?
Imagine if the whole car is controlled by the nav system and the whole system crashed and reboots... or doesn't reboot?

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 01-22-22 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 06:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Imagine if the whole car is controlled by the nav system and the whole system crashed and reboots during a drive or doesn't reboot?
Yea its called a Blackout. I would just for the sake of it have your battery checked out. 3 years old.

There were some BMW's a while back that the ECU would lock the doors and fail to unlock, they could not get out the door.
Old 01-22-22, 06:22 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I also just got a new battery (not sure if related) and had no problems before that.
There's your issue.
Old 01-22-22, 06:31 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Just so you know, the simple act of replacing a battery has many times caused all sorts of problems (e.g A/C, NAV, electric emergency brake, etc., etc.) for 4GS owners over the years.[size=13px]
[/size]
Yup.

I made a post about this when I bought my GS a month ago, but a bad battery made my cluster stop recording mileage. The cluster had to be taken out and repaired.

These cars are sensitive.
Old 09-13-23, 08:07 PM
Crime29
1st Gear

Default Me Too!!! Just bought my 250 today.

im having the exact same issue. I just bought my 08 IS250 AWD today. Drove it 3 hours home. First time It happened was about an hour into the drive… then 4-5 more times over the next two hours. At highway speed. At stoplights. In my neighborhood. The dash does the power on animation… Check Complete. However, one time the engine kinda stuttered. I’m pretty concerned.