GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fourth Generation Lexus GS 350 Rear Axle Hub Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 05:54 PM
danotheman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The open part of the dust cover was crushed on the edge and the Speed Sensor ended up bent inward. Your writeup is solid. Just wanted to point out this one issue.
Old 03-25-21, 06:22 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by danotheman
The open part of the dust cover was crushed on the edge and the Speed Sensor ended up bent inward. Your writeup is solid. Just wanted to point out this one issue.
Have any of the pictures posted in this thread shown the area? I am still having difficulty seeing how it happened. I was more worried about the wire getting broken as it is very thin and mounts on the upper control arm.
Old 03-26-21, 07:20 AM
danotheman
Driver School Candidate

Now I have a 3rd and 4th Gen GS350 but I cannot tell you if the rear hub setup is the same. However, it sure looks like it and this is exactly what happened to me:

Something to avoid when replacing rear wheel bearing - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 03-26-21, 08:30 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Now I have a 3rd and 4th Gen GS350 but I cannot tell you if the rear hub setup is the same. However, it sure looks like it and this is exactly what happened to me:

Something to avoid when replacing rear wheel bearing - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
I didn't take any of the ABS/Wheel Speed Sensor parts loose on mine. I disconnected the cable from the arm to give it some slack but never removed the sensor as I didn't see the need. I wasn't removing anything that required it.

But then again, I've been working on cars for over 40 years and motorcycles/minibikes/bicycles/lawnmowers for almost 50 years so I tend to be aware of my surroundings when working on things. I break fewer and fewer things these days.

Current project:

Buick 350 (5.7L) 92,000 mile timing chain.

92K sludge in Buick oil pan.

Buick 350, original 1971 engine and Munice 4-speed. Exhaust manifold bolts came out without breaking a single one!
The following users liked this post:
spineman (06-13-22)
Old 03-26-21, 12:19 PM
danotheman
Driver School Candidate

Back at it today trying to resolve the problem. Now I know what happened. The dust shield was not seated properly and spun, cutting off the bottom of the sensor. Not sure just how I'm going to get out of this. It appears the axle has to come out of the hub, which looks like the knuckle needs to come off. Good grief.
Knucklebus (03-26-21)
Old 03-29-21, 02:45 PM
danotheman
Driver School Candidate

I bought my $300 speed sensor and read how to run the wires up to the back of the back seat. I also bought a new dust cover because I want to do it right and I really mangled the old one. Question, please. Can't find info on it. For the rears on 4th Gen, Is the tone ring internal in the hub or attached to the axle? I'm waiting on parts so I have not taken it back apart yet. Wish to hell the sensor was attached like the fronts $$$ ouch. Thanks.
Old 11-11-21, 11:46 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

I bought my $300 speed sensor and read how to run the wires up to the back of the back seat. I also bought a new dust cover because I want to do it right and I really mangled the old one. Question, please. Can't find info on it. For the rears on 4th Gen, Is the tone ring internal in the hub or attached to the axle? I'm waiting on parts so I have not taken it back apart yet. Wish to hell the sensor was attached like the fronts $$$ ouch. Thanks.
I have no idea. I either got lucky or you were unlucky.

At any rate, it looks like I get to do this again. I got 11,000 miles out and 2.5 years out of my cheapo bearing. I was rereading this to refresh on the part number for the 32mm nut if I need a new one and the tools I need to borrow.

I'm buying one from a Lexus Dealer out of Scottsdale, AZ. Hopefully, it is better than the last two, including the first Lexus one.

Last edited by Knucklebus; 11-11-21 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-19-21, 05:12 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

OK, here we go again with OEM parts.

New parts unboxed

New parts
Old 11-19-21, 01:28 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Well, that was a cluster. I've killed my car!

I think I've already ruined the new bearing, crumpled the dust shield and likely killed my ABS sensor.

Carnage! Anyone know the best way to get the dust shield out? Is it removal of the rear hub or can I get by with simply removing the upper control arms and slide it out? I don't know if the bearing can be reused but the dust shield has got to be replaced.

Anyone know how to verify an ABS sensor good or bad? It is intact.

Wrinkled dust shield

Rear of bearing rubbed off.
adict2rice (08-13-22)
Old 11-28-21, 11:40 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Well, update. I had to remove the entire steering knuckle, which was a bit of a chore. Also, the dust shield is pressed on. Hmm, at a standstill until I can get to a machine shop tomorrow. As a matter of fact, the book details removing the entire knuckle to install a new bearing.

So, that answers the age old question: I was lucky when I replaced the last bearing.

Frankly, I think it is an overly complex design, possibly even a poor design.

Pictures of the back side of the knuckle, the new and old dust shield.

Dust shield, sticking up too far.

New dust shield and old dust shield. Clearly, the old dust shield was pressed on.
​​​​​​​
Im2bz2p345 (12-01-21)
Old 11-28-21, 11:48 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Best of luck Knuck, I can only imagine the frustration you've been through.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
Im2bz2p345 (12-01-21), Knucklebus (11-28-21)
Old 11-28-21, 12:29 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by charley95
Best of luck Knuck, I can only imagine the frustration you've been through.
Not so much frustrated as disappointed that I couldn't get this going any quicker. Parts are the biggest hold up on a low production car.

The car has been down for over a week now and I've had to borrow my wife's car when the weather is bad or drive my other GS, the 51 year old one. I'll get it back together one way or another.
Old 11-28-21, 08:13 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I just replaced both driver side hubs, front and back, on my RCF... and the front, the car being RWD, was a breeze... the rear, not so much 😑 I did go with OEM parts since I don't trust the quality of all these aftermarket parts made in China, especially when I'm putting it on a nice expensive car. Cost me a pretty penny but well worth it.
Old 11-28-21, 08:29 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
I just replaced both driver side hubs, front and back, on my RCF... and the front, the car being RWD, was a breeze... the rear, not so much 😑 I did go with OEM parts since I don't trust the quality of all these aftermarket parts made in China, especially when I'm putting it on a nice expensive car. Cost me a pretty penny but well worth it.
Everything going back on my car this time is all OEM Lexus, likely still manufactured in China though. The bearing before this one was Lexus too but it ate the dust shield and broke the ABS sensor.

Did you do it yourself? There is no way to put the dust shield on the bearing hub without some kind of press and a mandrel designed for the job. My buddy's bearing press kit doesn't have any that will do the job.

I'm going to call a machine shop to see if they think they can press it on. If not, I guess I take it to Lexus to see if they can do it for me. I need to get my car back on the road.
Old 11-28-21, 09:44 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Everything going back on my car this time is all OEM Lexus, likely still manufactured in China though. The bearing before this one was Lexus too but it ate the dust shield and broke the ABS sensor.

Did you do it yourself? There is no way to put the dust shield on the bearing hub without some kind of press and a mandrel designed for the job. My buddy's bearing press kit doesn't have any that will do the job.

I'm going to call a machine shop to see if they think they can press it on. If not, I guess I take it to Lexus to see if they can do it for me. I need to get my car back on the road.
hmm, might be a bit different on my RCF maybe? I had no problems with the dust shield, didn't mess with it at all and the new hub went in pretty nice and easy. Took a bit of work, don't get me wrong, but relatively easy... getting to those allen bolts was a bit tricky but got it done without disassembling the whole damn thing

Quick Reply: Fourth Generation Lexus GS 350 Rear Axle Hub Replacement