GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why don't these sell? GS350 Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 10:51 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's unfortunate that the GS doesn't hold its value better. The SUV craze is a part of it, sure, but even without that the GS doesn't hold its value as well as other sedans. Even my IS held its value better than my GS.
It's a buyer's market for the GS.

When I picked mine up, the difference between same model year used IS350 and a GS350 was only about 3-4k, but MSRP new would've been over 20k difference. You get so much more value with the GS, but many IS buyers just don't realize that(or just prefer a smaller package).

Now if only GS-F's would come down just as much
Old 01-16-19, 11:08 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Based on your information provided on a private sale you will get $21-22k range tops if you are lucky or whatever someone is willing to pay you. Dealer trade in you are looking about $3-4k less if not more all day everyday. Hell I have a 2015 AWD F-Sport fully loaded with 40k with transferable warranty through 2024 and for S&Gs I went to a couple of local dealers just to see what low ball offers I would get and they quoted me $22,500 on high end and $21k even on the low end...a Joke but it is what it is. They based this on the MRR which is what dealers are paying for on auctions then they mark up their prices for profits. I'm not looking to sell my GS but curious to see what the offers would be from dealers.
Old 01-16-19, 11:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
It's a buyer's market for the GS.

When I picked mine up, the difference between same model year used IS350 and a GS350 was only about 3-4k, but MSRP new would've been over 20k difference. You get so much more value with the GS, but many IS buyers just don't realize that(or just prefer a smaller package).

Now if only GS-F's would come down just as much
Indeed. My GS is coming off lease this spring. I love the car and want to buy it out, but just can't do it because the value is so much lower than my buyout. First lease I've ever had with this scenario. My GS is about 14k miles under my lease limit, and the equity is still well into the red. It's a well equipped 2015, Atomic Silver F Sport, AWD, with ML and 22k miles on it. Car is flawless. My buyout is around $34k right now and there's just no way to justify that when the actual value of the car is so far below that. A huge bummer.
Old 01-16-19, 11:48 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed. My GS is coming off lease this spring. I love the car and want to buy it out, but just can't do it because the value is so much lower than my buyout. First lease I've ever had with this scenario. My GS is about 14k miles under my lease limit, and the equity is still well into the red. It's a well equipped 2015, Atomic Silver F Sport, AWD, with ML and 22k miles on it. Car is flawless. My buyout is around $34k right now and there's just no way to justify that when the actual value of the car is so far below that. A huge bummer.
My boss went through the same thing. He didn't like the buyout so he turned it in. A few days later his car was for sale on the lot for a few grand less than the buyout.
Old 01-16-19, 11:53 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

When you return your GS to a dealer at lease end, let them know to contact you once they put up that car for sale on their lot. Then you can negotiate.
Old 01-16-19, 11:53 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by waygreen
My boss went through the same thing. He didn't like the buyout so he turned it in. A few days later his car was for sale on the lot for a few grand less than the buyout.
And it will be L/Certified and give you 2 more years + Unlimited B2B and be cheaper for the next buyer. Win Win
Old 01-16-19, 12:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
When you return your GS to a dealer at lease end, let them know to contact you once they put up that car for sale on their lot. Then you can negotiate.
That's only if they get it, though. The lease return goes back to Lexus Financial, and they auction it off so it could end up at any dealer.

In any case, my plan is to either pick up a new Stinger on lease or just go grab a '19 GS before they're gone. But that's a different thread...
Old 01-16-19, 01:23 PM
KAH
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If RWD with summer tires and in the snow belt, it may be a tougher sell vs AWD for some.

Like others mentioned — SUVs and pickups hurt car resales (at least in the South). When I traded in my last car at CarMax, it was challenging to put it mildly. My wife’s last SUV trade in barely sat at the Lexus dealer lot for a week before it sold.

Can you keep keep the car until spring? Don’t know if that will help, but it sounds like your car is in great shape.
Old 01-16-19, 04:04 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

That's only if they get it, though. The lease return goes back to Lexus Financial, and they auction it off so it could end up at any dealer.

In any case, my plan is to either pick up a new Stinger on lease or just go grab a '19 GS before they're gone. But that's a different thread...

That LS F Sport do anything for ya?
Old 01-16-19, 05:38 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

there are rumors (or confirmation now?) that the GS line is being discontinued due to low sales volume and demand.
surely as already stated we live in SUV/crossover country! the sedan is dead...
Old 01-16-19, 06:11 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

that is why im keeping the gs for life!! aint worth to sell or trade in now. you will get a big hit on the chest.
Old 01-16-19, 08:07 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

The dealer that got me back into looking into the car actually told me someone had liked theirs so much they went through the process of getting it CPO after the lease so I wonder what all that entailed because if what you say is true then the dealer had to buy it back first to CPO it for them right?
Old 01-17-19, 02:15 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
there are rumors (or confirmation now?) that the GS line is being discontinued due to low sales volume and demand.
surely as already stated we live in SUV/crossover country! the sedan is dead...
Gas goes back to $4 per gallon people will ditch the suv's for cars again.
Old 01-17-19, 06:27 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 527 Likes on 360 Posts

The problem with buying the car after lease end is the high residual. But if you like your car, you just pay the price.
Old 01-17-19, 06:37 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Gas goes back to $4 per gallon people will ditch the suv's for cars again.
Let's hope that never happens. I couldn't care less what everybody else drives. Keep buying them SUVs so I can trade for a used gs-f at a good deal. Curiously, I haven't seen a single GSF listing for months in Canada. I suspect Americans are buying them up at Canadian auctions and shipping them south.

Quick Reply: Why don't these sell? GS350 Fsport