GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to replace cluster lens

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 03:25 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to replace cluster lens

I've got some pretty bad scratches on my '15 GS cluster lens and was wondering if anyone can guide me on how to remove the lens and replace it. I've already ordered a new one. I've done searches here and on google to no avail. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-19, 07:37 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I think its better off to just order the whole assembly, all the info is stored in the ecm.
Old 01-17-19, 08:22 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You can order just the lens(It's cheap), it's just clipped onto the cluster, but you have to take the cluster out. See eddie420 dash removal guide it has the pics to remove the cluster, basically you remove the trim under, to the left of it, and the trim around the radio. Then I think 4 screws hold the cluster in place. I'll look up the part number.

I changed my lens last year, mine was scratch to hell by previous owner, when the sunlight hits it at the right angle you see all the scratches.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-17-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 08:30 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
I think its better off to just order the whole assembly, all the info is stored in the ecm.
not true, I just replaced mine for $35.
Old 01-17-19, 08:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the part number for the lens:
83852-30K60
It's $38.75 from mylparts.com:
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...QaAtfNEALw_wcB

Use promo code: CL5
to get an additional 5% off your order.
Old 01-17-19, 09:12 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
Here is the part number for the lens:
83852-30K60
It's $38.75 from mylparts.com:
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...QaAtfNEALw_wcB

Use promo code: CL5
to get an additional 5% off your order.
Yeah, I've already ordered the part. I just need to know how to remove the cluster to replace the lens. Looks like the complete dash removal is a bit overboard, no? I found eddie420's dash removal instructions, but it looks like I can skip a few steps. That is very helpful for some other things I plan on doing. Thanks for the heads up. When you replaced yours, did you need to remove the center console?
Old 01-17-19, 09:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lbcgav
Yeah, I've already ordered the part. I just need to know how to remove the cluster to replace the lens. Looks like the complete dash removal is a bit overboard, no? I found eddie420's dash removal instructions, but it looks like I can skip a few steps. That is very helpful for some other things I plan on doing. Thanks for the heads up. When you replaced yours, did you need to remove the center console?
I think you might have to remove the synthetic leather padded side bolsters on both sides of the center console to remove the trim around the radio. It's easy, just grap and pull up, just clipped on. Then remove the radio trim. You have to remove all the trim below the instrument cluster, and the wood trim to the left of it, along with the synthetic leather trim between the steering wheel and the dash.

I kept the battery connected because you have to move the steering wheel all the way out and down to get the cluster out. Just double tap the start button for power.
The following users liked this post:
lbcgav (01-17-19)
Old 01-17-19, 09:40 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

I think you might have to remove the synthetic leather padded side bolsters on both sides of the center console to remove the trim around the radio. It's easy, just grap and pull up, just clipped on. Then remove the radio trim. You have to remove all the trim below the instrument cluster, and the wood trim to the left of it, along with the synthetic leather trim between the steering wheel and the dash.

I kept the battery connected because you have to move the steering wheel all the way out and down to get the cluster out. Just double tap the start button for power.
Sweet! Thanks for all the tips.
Old 01-17-19, 09:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet! Thanks for all the tips.
Attached are the removal instructions from the FSM:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
COMBINATION METER.pdf (445.5 KB, 288 views)
The following users liked this post:
lbcgav (01-17-19)
Old 01-17-19, 10:43 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Attached are the removal instructions from the FSM:
Awesome! Is it safe to keep the power on when you unplug the connectors on the cluster itself?
Old 01-17-19, 10:53 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome! Is it safe to keep the power on when you unplug the connectors on the cluster itself?
The harness is long, once the cluster is out, just hit the start button again to turn the car off(wheel will retract back). Then take the plugs off. I'm now sure, but up till this point your not removing anything electrical, safer to turn car off.

Then when you have the lens installed and harness re-connected, double tap start button to move the wheel and install cluster.
Old 01-17-19, 10:53 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

While I'm at it, one more question. Does the GS use JIS or Phillips screws?
Old 01-17-19, 10:55 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

The harness is long, once the cluster is out, just hit the start button again to turn the car off(wheel will retract back). Then take the plugs off. I'm now sure, but up till this point your not removing anything electrical, safer to turn car off.

Then when you have the lens installed and harness re-connected, double tap start button to move the wheel and install cluster.
You da man!
Old 01-17-19, 10:56 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Phillips. Whole car is held together by Phillips and metric bolts. Some security screws for some of the electronics, but Toyota/Lexus keeps it simple.
Old 01-18-19, 10:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

In case anyone is wondering what (why) you are asking ... JIS screws are a Japanese design, so if you see a single dot (•) or an 'X' to one side of the cross slot in the screw head - that means it is a JIS screw. A Phillips screwdriver used on a JIS screw will often ruin it, which you do not want to happen.

Quick Reply: How to replace cluster lens