GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlight replacement - night view?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 11:48 AM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight replacement - night view?

Hi

My fathers 2013 GS350 was involved in an accident that requires a headlight replacement on the driver side.
This is a Canadian car that was equipped with AFS and NightView nightvision. New headlights are, as predicted, quite pricey so we were hoping to buy a cheaper alternative. However, most alternatives do not come with the NightView capability (as far as we understand, there are infared sensors in the headlight to allow for the NightView. We are quite OK with no NightView capability (rarely, if ever, used.)

Our questions are:
Is the wiring different for non-nightview headlamps (harness etc.)?
If we install a non-nightview light in this car, will it throw error codes?

We are looking for proper wiring diagrams as well and came across the TIS website. However, when looking in detail, the site says that wiring diagrams are not included. Can someone confirm this before we purchase it? This is what we gather from the site:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...ary%20Contents

Thanks,
WaqMan22
Old 01-21-19, 11:59 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My car has luxury package with nighview as well. When I switched to LED headlights from 450h GS, everything was plug-n-play. The only thing that did not work was my nightview, because the new lights did not have the sensors. There were no lights on my dashboard. However, everytime I would start the car, I would see a brief 4 second message on my navigation screen about the nightview having some issues, but that is it. Mind you, the LED headlights were AFS compatible. I believe base model GS don’t come with AFS, so headlights from base and non hybrid GS models may throw some errors.
The following users liked this post:
WaqMan22 (01-21-19)
Old 01-21-19, 12:48 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like if we can find an AFS capable light, it will work and should only have the minor message on the screen (and no use of nightview).
Old 01-21-19, 02:24 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by WaqMan22
Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like if we can find an AFS capable light, it will work and should only have the minor message on the screen (and no use of nightview).
That is correct. Just find an AFS light from a junkyard, I'm sure there are quite a few. Check www.car-part.com, have bought some good stuff.
Old 01-25-19, 08:50 AM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help. Sorry to bump the thread, but is there a way to check on the physical light whether it is AFS or not? I'm trying to avoid a situation where it is labelled as AFS when in reality it is not.
Old 01-25-19, 09:15 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Thanks for your help. Sorry to bump the thread, but is there a way to check on the physical light whether it is AFS or not? I'm trying to avoid a situation where it is labelled as AFS when in reality it is not.
Under the dash you will have an AFS off switch. I got the image off the forum, ignore the circled red part.

Also when you start the car if your low beam moves left right you have AFS.
Old 01-25-19, 09:23 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Under the dash you will have an AFS off switch. I got the image off the forum, ignore the circled red part.

I think he means on the actual headlight itself, not if the car is equipped. He doesn't want someone to sell him a headlight saying its AFS compatible if it in fact isn't. IDK if there is any functional difference in the headlight itself between AFS/non-AFS, but i imagine there would be.
Old 01-25-19, 09:31 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by np20412
I think he means on the actual headlight itself, not if the car is equipped. He doesn't want someone to sell him a headlight saying its AFS compatible if it in fact isn't. IDK if there is any functional difference in the headlight itself between AFS/non-AFS, but i imagine there would be.
If you open the cover/HID ballast behind the low beam light(what you would remove for a bulb change), if it has AFS you can move low beam left/right and not just up/down with your hand.
Otherwise you get the vin of the car headlights came from and check with a dealership if that car was equipped with AFS. There is no actual part number printed on the headlights themselves. I know because I upgrade my headlights to the led and sold my original ones.

Also you can tell from the plug, the afs have at least 13 pins, you would also have a few more for the night vision. If it's 12 or less it's not AFS.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-25-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 09:33 AM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that's good to know as well. But the point below is what I am looking for. Not sure if there is a motor or something visible?

Originally Posted by np20412
Old 01-25-19, 09:38 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, that's good to know as well. But the point below is what I am looking for. Not sure if there is a motor or something visible?
Nothing is visible from the front of the headlight, you have to remove the HID ballast and check from the back side, see my last post.
Old 01-25-19, 12:56 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Nothing is visible from the front of the headlight, you have to remove the HID ballast and check from the back side, see my last post.
Thanks, did some more research with my brother based off what you mentioned and we think we came away with this (last picture is believe to be motor):

I can't say this is 100% accurate, but hope this helps someone as well.
Old 01-25-19, 01:13 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, did some more research with my brother based off what you mentioned and we think we came away with this (last picture is believe to be motor):
I can't say this is 100% accurate, but hope this helps someone as well.
Yes this is 100% the AFS headlight. The last picture has the motor that turns it left/right, you can already see it's partially turned. The pinouts you pointed out look correct, first one is 12 and second one is 14.