GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trunk Lid

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 04:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
Yep, the power trunk option will open it all the way up with either the trunk button in the cabin, on the trunk itself, or via key fob. I like the feature a lot.

Annoying that the key fob cannot close the power trunk, only open. They must be testing that for reliability too....lord knows what an electronic signal will do!
You can only close the trunk from the trunk itself, is a safety feature. That way you don't accidentally close the trunk on someone or something.
Old 01-24-19, 04:57 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
Yep, the power trunk option will open it all the way up with either the trunk button in the cabin, on the trunk itself, or via key fob. I like the feature a lot.

Annoying that the key fob cannot close the power trunk, only open. They must be testing that for reliability too....lord knows what an electronic signal will do!
I believe it's a USA regulation that you cannot close windows and trunk due to possibility that someone could get hurt. Closing them is available in almost every other country.
Old 01-24-19, 07:24 PM
berman2921
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Lexus is late on many things due to the fact that they put things through their paces prior to releasing them, no Tesla beta mode BS here, which is why Lexus is #1 in reliability. While they're late on many things, they also have many industry firsts under their belt, so let's play fair here.
The gesture controlled trunk is available on 2019 ES though
Old 01-25-19, 09:53 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I believe it's a USA regulation that you cannot close windows and trunk due to possibility that someone could get hurt. Closing them is available in almost every other country.
It’s weird that limiting the of closing the trunk from the button in the trunk is only on the Lexus sedans...on the SUVs, you can open and close the hatch using the button on the interior and the remote. I also like how Lexus SUVs also have a lock feature or button so it will lock the car after it closes.
Old 01-25-19, 09:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar

It’s weird that limiting the of closing the trunk from the button in the trunk is only on the Lexus sedans...on the SUVs, you can open and close the hatch using the button on the interior and the remote. I also like how Lexus SUVs also have a lock feature or button so it will lock the car after it closes.
The trunk lid doesn't have a senor to detect an obstruction, so if something is blocking the trunk it will try closing it. that motor is heavy duty so who knows what kind of damage would happen.
Old 01-25-19, 10:12 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Yet my GS has one touch window close. Don't know if there is something to detect a blockage or not.
Old 01-25-19, 10:17 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar

I don't know the reason behind this but the same can be found with other manufacturers. Mercedes for example, same thing, remote opening and closing on SUVS, but only remote opening on sedans.

Originally Posted by peasodos
The trunk lid doesn't have a senor to detect an obstruction, so if something is blocking the trunk it will try closing it. that motor is heavy duty so who knows what kind of damage would happen.
The trunk lid does have a sensor to detect obstructions. It doesn't take much force for it to recognize it's hitting something and re-open.

Originally Posted by thallium
Yet my GS has one touch window close. Don't know if there is something to detect a blockage or not.
One-touch window closing is legally mandated to have what is referred to as a "pinch sensor" & it will in fact roll back down if it detects a finger/arm/etc. in the way. eddie420 was referring to remote window roll-up where all 4 (and the sunroof if applicable) roll up at the same time. This is the scenario that is not allowed in the US. Mercedes gets around this by including an IR sensor on the driver door that you have to physically aim the key at within a couple feet to close all the windows at once. You can roll the windows down from a distance, but to close them, you have to be within a couple feet of that sensor and point the key at it which I believe is done to ensure that you're physically there with the vehicle and able to make sure nothing will get caught in the way.