GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 GS 350 New owner heater question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19 | 01:17 PM
Tierod
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 GS 350 New owner heater question

I recently replaced my 2007 GS 350 with a 2015 GS 350. Getting used to the differences (already really miss my touchscreen) but I noticed my 2015 heater does not blow very strong (tried all the venting alternatives)and takes much longer to heat, is this typical? I have one of the versions of the “cold weather package” with deicer, water repellent windows and “high intensity heater” (noticed stickers on some other Lexus say “heavy duty heater” not sure if there is a difference?). Anyone else have this concern? Thanks much.
Old 01-23-19 | 01:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I haven't owned a 3GS so I can't compare it to that, but I do not feel like my GS heater takes any longer or feels less strong than any other car I've had.
Old 01-23-19 | 01:29 PM
signdetres
Racer

What's the outside ambient air temp?

Try pressing the "AUTO" button as well as the auto recirculation mode button to put it in fully automatic mode and then set the temperature to "HI" for both sides and see if this gets the cabin up to temp quicker. It'll direct air to the windshield and the floor while it heats up so it doesn't blast you with cold air.

Has the cabin air filter been replaced recently?

I would also ensure you're not in the Eco driving mode and if you go into your climate control menu, also ensure through here that Eco climate settings are not enabled.

Although I live in Los Angeles and we don't see the temps you might be used to seeing in MA, regardless, my GS has had the quickest heating system (from climate control system, to heated seats & heated steering wheel) out of any of our previous cars.
Old 01-23-19 | 01:49 PM
NickL
Racer

I used to have '11 GS350 AWD and I don't feel like the heater takes any longer to heat in my '15. We often go below 30degrees F here and sometime single digit(like 2 days ago) and I'm not afraid that any of my vehicles not having adequate heat.
However, I do feel the '15 AC is not as cool as my '11 was. I mentioned it in one of my service at the dealer and they said to crank it up.
Old 01-23-19 | 01:53 PM
Tierod
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the quick reply! I had tried some of your suggestions (eco off and auto) but will look further, especially about the filter. It was a CPO vehicle that just had a 30K service but I shouldn’t assume filter replaced. It has been single digits here some days but had noticed issue previously at higher temps, even though I’m not cold sensitive and rarely crank the heat. The cold weather pack gave me higher expectations but it is not even as good as my wife’s Camry.
Old 01-23-19 | 03:21 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

You're not in Eco mode are you? Make sure to be in Auto with the AC on (not off!) for the vehicle to do its thing. If it's still super slow, then get it checked out.
Old 01-24-19 | 11:54 AM
Cwang
Instructor

I don't get heat out of the vents until I set the AC to 84 fahrenheits, which I thought was weird.
Old 01-24-19 | 01:38 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

I have no issues with the climate control. I have it on full auto and leave it at 74F...it does the rest fairly quickly and efficiently.
Old 01-24-19 | 02:42 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

I leave my heat set between 70-72. System is on full auto. Car is not in eco mode. I feel like it heats up at a normal speed, probably faster than the past two cars I've owned. I have noticed that it won't shoot much air out of the dash vents until the air is actually warmed up. Someone else in the thread said the air comes out the defroster vents and foot vents until it is warm, so that you don't have cold air blowing on you, that seems accurate based on my experience. Maybe that is why you are getting weak air?

Also, I use the S-Flow setting. That is supposed to heat only the area where there are occupants. I believe in my car (luxury package) there are occupancy sensors for driver and passenger. If I have people in the back seat I need to manually disable S-Flow. I am not sure if non-lux package cars have a passenger occupancy sensor, I think they may not.
Old 01-24-19 | 03:59 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I leave my heat set between 70-72. System is on full auto. Car is not in eco mode. I feel like it heats up at a normal speed, probably faster than the past two cars I've owned. I have noticed that it won't shoot much air out of the dash vents until the air is actually warmed up. Someone else in the thread said the air comes out the defroster vents and foot vents until it is warm, so that you don't have cold air blowing on you, that seems accurate based on my experience. Maybe that is why you are getting weak air?

Also, I use the S-Flow setting. That is supposed to heat only the area where there are occupants. I believe in my car (luxury package) there are occupancy sensors for driver and passenger. If I have people in the back seat I need to manually disable S-Flow. I am not sure if non-lux package cars have a passenger occupancy sensor, I think they may not.
Non-luxury packaged cars have a more basic system. I don't think it uses sensors in the interior like yours does but looks at whether or not the doors have been opened, something along those lines. In my GS F-Sport without the more advanced version, when S-Flow is on, it controls air to the rear seats as well as the heated/cooled passenger seat. When enabled, if the passenger seat heater/cooler was previously left on, when I start the car, I see it turn on for a second but then automatically turns off when it realizes there is no passenger. It does not, however, turn off the passenger side temp control like I think happens in yours, but frankly I don't really know what that actually does on the more advanced versions.

When that happens, is it also disabling the passenger side air vents? Or?
Old 01-25-19 | 11:33 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by signdetres
When enabled, if the passenger seat heater/cooler was previously left on, when I start the car, I see it turn on for a second but then automatically turns off when it realizes there is no passenger. It does not, however, turn off the passenger side temp control like I think happens in yours, but frankly I don't really know what that actually does on the more advanced versions.

When that happens, is it also disabling the passenger side air vents? Or?
I do think that my passenger side temp control turns on for a second before the car realizes there is no one there, then it turns off. From what I understand/remember, S-Flow will use all of the vents in the car at first, if necessary, to get it to the right temperature, then I think it usually limits itself to the driver's side vents, or driver's and passenger's if there is a passenger, as long as that can maintain the desired temperature level for those zones. So yes, I think it can totally turn off the vents for passenger and rear.
Old 01-25-19 | 11:38 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Old 01-25-19 | 11:40 AM
jessalynn
Rookie