GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Read!!! 1-piece & 2-piece rotor - clicking noise & screech noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 02:07 PM
Gtown007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Read!!! 1-piece & 2-piece rotor - clicking noise & screech noise

I have a 2015 GS 350 F-Sport and here's my terrible story with a terrible ending...

Cliff Note Version:

- A year ago (Jan 2018) I heard a 'clicking' noise when making a tight turn. This noise continued so I brought it into Lexus. To my surprise there was an existing Lexus technical service bulletin issued and in order to get rid of this sound my 2-piece aluminum f-sport rotor needed to be replaced with a 1-piece steel rotor.
  • In addition to the rotors, front axle hub shim and brake pads were replaced too
- I did what anyone would do and moved forward with the repair if that meant getting rid of the annoying clicking noise.

Fast forward to January 17th 2019...

- I brought my Lexus into service to be looked at because I started hearing an ear piecing 'screech' when braking. I told myself it couldn't be my front brakes because less than a year ago I received brand new rotors & pads.
- Lexus service calls and tells me it's my front rotors causing the screeching noise. Get this - - > the replacement 1-piece steel rotor is causing this noise and the only solution IS TO GO BACK to the 2-piece aluminum rotor that makes the clicking noise. I honestly couldn't believe what I was being told to choose from - a ear piecing screech noise or an embarrassing loud clicking noise. These were choices I didn't feel were par for a company like Lexus. Well, they are...
- Some head service guy ends up telling me that Lexus didn't know about the 1-piece rotor screech until recently but most people are switching back b/c of how loud the noise is/was when braking.
- As upset and disappointed as I was, I told him I'd like to go back to the 2-piece rotor b/c the noise wasn't as loud.

Fast forward to today...
- service called me and told me the 2-piece rotor was approved (yup -approval is needed if you are over 50K miles) and to schedule an appointment.

As I chatted with the head of service he tells me WEEKLY people are bringing their cars in because of this known issue. He informed me that Lexus Corporate knows too. So, in conclusion, Lexus Corporation knows but I'm guessing this issue doesn't rank high on their 'to do list' and/or not enough people have complained to them directly. I say anyone with this problem - call and email Lexus Corp and give them a piece of your mind. What's this world coming too...spending $50K+ on a 'luxury' car with **** for brakes. Ridiculous!!!! I won't be purchasing Lexus ever again!!!
Old 02-01-19, 02:35 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

wow... noted.

I still have my original two piece rotors, and they do make a clicking noise., Guess ill keep them after all.
Old 02-01-19, 05:24 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtown007
I won't be purchasing Lexus ever again!!!
I'll take this issue over any of my German car issues. I don't make blanket statements like this. No one company is perfect but Lexus does customer service much better than any others.
Old 02-01-19, 09:27 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm at 44K miles with second set of pads and original rotors... no issues at all
Old 02-01-19, 10:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Unfortunately it seems like you had certain expectations and they weren't met - but the key thing to remember is that it isn't a safety issue--otherwise they would perform voluntary recalls to have the rotors replaced.

At least your dealership was willing to work with you outside of your warranty period - my dealership wouldn't even replace really awful pitted/rusted rotors on my car after I complained not long after I realized they sold it to me as CPO in that kind of condition.

Since then, i've never gone back to that dealership but realized it was a wear and tear item. I just replaced things using a local guy near me and moved on. I understand the frustration..if I had the same issue and didn't get quality service from the dealership, I'd end up getting an aftermarket set of rotors and give those a whirl or just buy them myself from a different OEM source and hope it solved the problem since it seems like an intermittent issue that not everyone experiences.
Old 02-02-19, 12:03 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I can't say I've ever noticed any noise with the 2 piece. I suspect mine are the original discs from 2012 (but I have no proof), perhaps something was modified slightly in the later models?
Old 02-02-19, 06:06 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

18 RWD owner here with 6700 miles on the clock and first thing I did after purchase was replace pads with ceramic pads. So far, no issues whatsoever. An aftermarket set of ceramics is what I would try. Only reason I swapped pads was the excessive brake dust from the original metallic pads. This was suggested by the service mgr. at my local Lexus dealer.
Old 02-02-19, 09:16 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Lol, the ignorance is real. The two-piece rotors are high-performance braking components that are not commonly found on vehicles in this price range and class. The clicking noises are a natural part of this braking technology. Just because you don't know about it or understand what it is or what they do, doesn't mean they're "****." High-performance brakes make noises, regardless of vehicle make & that's the reality of where we are in today's world with braking technology.

I also don't understand the commotion with the clicking noises. I only ever hear the clicks if I have all of my windows and the sunroof down and I'm in an echoey parking garage, and I live in Southern California, so my windows are down pretty frequently. I don't even realize this "issue" exists until I hear it brought up by others on the forums.

It does not bother me whatsoever and considering it's a noise that can only be heard outside the car, unless I'm missing something, that means it's only other people/pedestrians who would have to hear this noise, in which case, I could not care any less if random strangers think something is wrong with my Lexus over some faint clicking sounds because it couldn't be further from the truth.

I'd never in a million years downgrade from my F-Sport two-piece rotors to the base 1-piece design in the name of ridding some minor clicking sounds. I'll take the higher performance, lighter unsprung weight, increased fade resistance and increased stopping power any day & they can click all they want.

Last edited by signdetres; 02-02-19 at 12:37 PM. Reason: "is" to "are" #grammarnazi
The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AJLex19 (02-02-19), eddie420 (02-02-19), kode3 (02-02-19)
Old 02-02-19, 10:36 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I'd never in a million years downgrade from my F-Sport two-piece rotors to the base 1-piece design in the name of ridding some minor clicking sounds. I'll take the higher performance, lighter unsprung weight, increased fade resistance and increased stopping power any day & they can click all they want.
I did the downgrade in the name of free rotors and pads. I didn't have the clicking sound but I agree, if I did, I'd just live with it rather than downgrading after the warranty. As long as I was in warranty though I'd do it at the last possible moment again in the name of free parts and labor. When I run these rotors out I'll be switching back to 2 piece.

The $1k saved on this maintenance for me is worth the tradeoff to the higher performance and slightly lighter 2 piece since I'm not driving my car super hard or tracking.
Old 02-02-19, 12:43 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I did the downgrade in the name of free rotors and pads. I didn't have the clicking sound but I agree, if I did, I'd just live with it rather than downgrading after the warranty. As long as I was in warranty though I'd do it at the last possible moment again in the name of free parts and labor. When I run these rotors out I'll be switching back to 2 piece.

The $1k saved on this maintenance for me is worth the tradeoff to the higher performance and slightly lighter 2 piece since I'm not driving my car super hard or tracking.
Lol I love that idea. That's something I could stand behind. A thousand bucks is a thousand bucks. Free brake job FTW Then when the 1-pieces are worn out, hope they start screeching, complain, get two-pieces back, free brake job again! LOL

On a more positive note to the OP, you had an excellent dealer experience, from the sound of it & I'd be more appreciate of that. Can't imagine any other brand giving you two sets of free brake pads and rotors (that are normally pretty pricey), especially after warranty expired. Lexus treated & worked with you very well.
Old 10-15-19, 07:04 AM
chblang
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 2016 GS 350 F Sport with 25k miles (Lexus Certified). They put new rotors on, which I'm assuming was to mask the noise issue when trying to resell these.
After a few months I started noticing the rattle sounds and now come to find out, I have the same issue the majority of GS owners have with the 2 piece rotor. I'm extremely upset with the Lexus Sales Rep, as I mentioned why other GS 350s I was looking at had a couple service visits regarding a rattle sound. They looked up the reports on the Lexus database for these cars and they knew about this issue, then 100% lied and made me believe their Lexus Certified would not have similar issues. I'm angry at myself but furious they would lie about this. I still can't believe they don't have a solution for this sound, and still sell these cars and do not disclose the problems/noise with the rotor noise.
Any thoughts what I should do? The 1-piece vs 2-piece is not an option, as neither solve the problem.
Should I get a lawyer and bring a case against Lexus as they deliberately sold me something knowing their was an issue they are covering up.
or try to get a fair price for my GS and maybe (downgrade) to an ES 350 F Sport?
Old 10-15-19, 07:32 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Im at 10k miles on a 2018 F sport and when I first begin driving the initial stop has a whine sound. I chalk it up as the brakes are cold. It only does it once so I dismiss it.
Old 04-11-22, 08:50 PM
adict2rice
Rookie

hi, i just send you a DM regarding this issue. please check your inbox. my car now at 53k miles and clicking like crazy!