GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 06:13 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLJB
After looking for 6 months or so, I bought a 2015 AWD F-Sport at Thanksgiving. I had been driving a 2003 E39 manual, and before that a 2007 AWD 5-series Wagon that was also a manual. Comparatively speaking this new car is a rocket ship. That said, while I’ve missed many of the things that others have noted, really my biggest complaint has been the gas mileage. I’ve put 6000 on the car and average about 15.9 to 16.3 miles a gallon in normal mode and without a particularly heavy foot and premium fuel. It’s been a bit of a surprise. Both of the other two cars listed here, driving pretty much the same way I averaged right around 22.5 on miles on regular gas.
The AWD GS isn't great on gas (but it is pretty great in bad weather). From my experience, gas mileage is comparable to my previous GS with a V8!
Old 03-13-19, 01:11 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
When the wipers are in auto mode, the ring on the stalk adjusts the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. If you have it in the highest/top position, this is the most sensitive setting for the wipers. They will wipe more frequently. If you rotate the ring down to the lowest position, the wipers are in their least sensitive setting. They'll let a bit of water build-up before giving you a wipe.
I must have overlooked this fact or maybe it wasn't explained well in the manual that you can adjust the auto sensitivity with the ring. In fact, this had perplexed me because I had used the auto wipers a couple months ago and thought they worked well at keeping the rain off the windshield. At some point I either switched back to intermittant and/or moved the ring to the lowest position then switched back to auto mode. It's been raining the past couple weeks and I couldn't figure out why the auto wipers were waiting so long to wipe. This explains it. Thanks.
Old 03-13-19, 01:51 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLJB
After looking for 6 months or so, I bought a 2015 AWD F-Sport at Thanksgiving. I had been driving a 2003 E39 manual, and before that a 2007 AWD 5-series Wagon that was also a manual. Comparatively speaking this new car is a rocket ship. That said, while I’ve missed many of the things that others have noted, really my biggest complaint has been the gas mileage. I’ve put 6000 on the car and average about 15.9 to 16.3 miles a gallon in normal mode and without a particularly heavy foot and premium fuel. It’s been a bit of a surprise. Both of the other two cars listed here, driving pretty much the same way I averaged right around 22.5 on miles on regular gas.
I had a 2015 AWD F Sport for 1.5 years and I averaged around 20 to 22 with 35% city and 65% highway. I drove 99% of the time in ECO mode but on the highways I averaged around ~70-80mph so I wasn't exactly "IN" ECO mode. I also had a heavy foot and drove it like I stole it. Use Tier 1 gas, make sure your tire pressure is set according to the black label on the car, and get your car checked out for any leaks. 15 to 16 is pretty trash but is normal for the 2GR-FSE engine if you are always stuck in traffic unfortunately...
Old 03-13-19, 02:53 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

When I turn off the car and open the driver's door I frequently get beeping that doesn't stop until I shut the door again. Yet other times it does not beep. Sometimes I stop the engine, pop the door and sit in the car for several seconds or minutes gathering things, talking on the phone, whatever and the beeping is annoying. I have not been able to reliably predict what it will do. Waiting before I open the door, foot on brake, foot off brake. Sometimes I just quickly tap the switch in the door jamb to stop it so I don't have to shut the door. I don't know what's causing the beep. Anyone know?
The following users liked this post:
kode3 (03-13-19)
Old 03-13-19, 03:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
When I turn off the car and open the driver's door I frequently get beeping that doesn't stop until I shut the door again. Yet other times it does not beep. Sometimes I stop the engine, pop the door and sit in the car for several seconds or minutes gathering things, talking on the phone, whatever and the beeping is annoying. I have not been able to reliably predict what it will do. Waiting before I open the door, foot on brake, foot off brake. Sometimes I just quickly tap the switch in the door jamb to stop it so I don't have to shut the door. I don't know what's causing the beep. Anyone know?
I get that beep too when I shut the car off, I don't know what it is, it is not the lights being on and it is random.
Old 03-13-19, 03:51 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

my memory seats don't always remember my lumbar and side bolsters... someone help me =/
Old 03-13-19, 04:01 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
my memory seats don't always remember my lumbar and side bolsters... someone help me =/
You know what you must do... Time to go to the dealership.
Old 03-13-19, 04:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I only get that if a window or the sunroof is open.
1Lieutenant (01-23-22)
Old 03-13-19, 04:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 411 Likes on 286 Posts

Same. I have yet to figure out what causes it. Appears to be totally random.
Old 03-13-19, 06:14 PM
dTxworld
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Can someone please explain to me how to adjust the tilt of the front headrests? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-19, 07:58 PM
Mannu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you can actually tilt the head rest. I think you can only pull it forward until the it reach all the way to front, then it will go all the way back. You would pull it forward again to your comfort zone.
signdetres (03-13-19)
Old 03-14-19, 09:57 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

I only get that if a window or the sunroof is open.
Same here. I also discovered that if you don't have your driver door entirely shut and you shift out of park the beep is constant.
Old 03-14-19, 10:08 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm really not a fan of how much it feels like I have to fight the car when the engine is cold and I need to slowly pull out of a parking spot. I have to not only apply a ton of brake pedal pressure to get the car to not lurch when shifting from park to reverse or reverse to drive etc. But it's more than the lurch when shifting. It keeps the idle speed way too high once you've shifted out of park and it isn't warmed up yet. Every car I've had would drop the idle speed fully when you shift out of park and it's cold. Not this one I guess.

This is probably my biggest complaint with this car. It's definitely its most unrefined and un-Lexus-like quality. Once it's warmed up, low speeds & parking in the GS is the smoothest and most buttery process, but when it's cold, yikes.
Old 03-14-19, 10:50 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jessalynn
Same here. I also discovered that if you don't have your driver door entirely shut and you shift out of park the beep is constant.
Either that or door was open before the ignition was turned off. Regardless if you close and re-open, the beeping stops.
Old 03-14-19, 10:51 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Underwhelming ML audio, and no FLAC playback.
2015 GS

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS