GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 12:30 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I'm really not a fan of how much it feels like I have to fight the car when the engine is cold and I need to slowly pull out of a parking spot. I have to not only apply a ton of brake pedal pressure to get the car to not lurch when shifting from park to reverse or reverse to drive etc. But it's more than the lurch when shifting. It keeps the idle speed way too high once you've shifted out of park and it isn't warmed up yet. Every car I've had would drop the idle speed fully when you shift out of park and it's cold. Not this one I guess.

This is probably my biggest complaint with this car. It's definitely its most unrefined and un-Lexus-like quality. Once it's warmed up, low speeds & parking in the GS is the smoothest and most buttery process, but when it's cold, yikes.
Agreed with this - but it is def. common...felt the same behavior on my previous IS350, the 3GS and my current 4GS. Definitely makes the car feel unrefined. My 2GS didn't feel like this when it wasn't warmed up...but very different drive train with the V8.

Still on my wishlist to drive a rare 3GS that has the 4.6L V8 engine.
Old 03-14-19, 04:23 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

I love driving it... don't get me wrong, but...

I wish the power kicked in sooner – I enjoy the pull once I get past 4k, but it feels like it's bloated on the low end. Tuners have been changing the VTEC kick-on rpm for years, and I have the privilege to ride in a heavily tuned '16 Accord and it was kind of amazing how much more powerful it felt earlier in the range. I know Lexus uses VVTi instead, but I would love to find a way to bring that power to the lower RPM range.

There may be a tune or a mod that helps with that; I just haven't looked.
Old 03-18-19, 05:39 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcindy
  • I'd like to turn off the car and continue listening to a radio segment or song for a few minutes, but turning off the car turns off everything.
I recently found that turning off the car before shifting to park, leaves power on to the radio, windows, etc. Then shift to park, radio still on!
Old 03-18-19, 05:45 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

really the only thing that honestly annoys me everyday is if the cup holder cover is down its not level with the rest of the trim...WHY. who designed this and said this is ok and not just lower the cup holders or raise the rest of the freaking shifter trim???
Old 03-18-19, 09:15 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by robm
I recently found that turning off the car before shifting to park, leaves power on to the radio, windows, etc. Then shift to park, radio still on!
The thing with this is that when you do this a little warning light blinks on the gauge cluster.
Old 03-21-19, 10:58 AM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

True, but at least you can listen to whatever was on the radio without wasting fuel.
Old 08-27-20, 04:16 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I recently purchased my GS, so I wanted to add my list:

• In the 2019 Lexus NX 300 I had, the exterior door handles would illuminate when it sensed the key fob nearby.
• In the 2011 Audi A4 I had, if I put the car in park and turned the engine off, the radio would continue to play until a door was opened.
• In the 2011 Audi A4 I had, the radio's volume would lower when the car was put in reverse.
• I have the F Sport model, but I wish I had the Luxury Package's wooden steering wheel.
• Although I didn't care much for it when I had the NX 300, I kind of miss having Apple CarPlay now.

Besides that, I absolutely love my car. It checks off everything else I want in a vehicle.
Old 08-27-20, 04:51 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYX

• In the 2019 Lexus NX 300 I had, the exterior door handles would illuminate when it sensed the key fob nearby.

• Although I didn't care much for it when I had the NX 300, I kind of miss having Apple CarPlay now.
My mirrors light up when the fob is near, do yours?
The carplay issue is easily fixed, check out the GROM thread.
Old 08-27-20, 06:53 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I recently purchased my GS, so I wanted to add my list:
• In the 2011 Audi A4 I had, if I put the car in park and turned the engine off, the radio would continue to play until a door was opened.

Besides that, I absolutely love my car. It checks off everything else I want in a vehicle.
You can accomplish this by powering the car off while in N and then shifting to P... Alternatively you can shift to P and open the drivers door, then power the car off.

In both cases the accessory power will remain on.
Old 08-27-20, 07:08 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Originally Posted by np20412
You can accomplish this by powering the car off while in N and then shifting to P... Alternatively you can shift to P and open the drivers door, then power the car off.

In both cases the accessory power will remain on.
It's almost creepy sometimes how "in sync" some of us seem to get.....I had been thinking of asking folks if there was any way to turn off the car and not waste fuel but leave the radio on. I had figured out (by accident) the turning the car off when it wasn't in Park method but that just seems like a bad idea - I don't know why and I'm sure it's probably fine. I like the open door idea - I'll have to try that. If they're not going to leave the radio on (and if your on a call the bluetooth with your phone) then they should have a special way turn the car off but leave accessories on - like press and hold the start/stop button for a number of seconds or something.

INRE to the mirror lights coming on when the keyfob is near - mine do that as well. It was sooooo cool the first night I saw it happen

Oh...and I also have to agree with the person above who mentioned the cup holder cover not being lined up/level with the rest of the trim....I mean they make so many other things perfect...why cut a corner there?

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 08-27-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 05:40 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dTxworld
quick question for you guys - if i turn off the vehicle and for example left the sunroof tilted or window open, is there a way to close them without having to restart the car? I've tried starting without my foot on the brake and it didnt work... am i missing something obvious? thanks in advance guys
Just hold down the lock button on your key fob to close all windows and the sunroof...
Old 08-28-20, 06:31 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
It's almost creepy sometimes how "in sync" some of us seem to get.....I had been thinking of asking folks if there was any way to turn off the car and not waste fuel but leave the radio on. I had figured out (by accident) the turning the car off when it wasn't in Park method but that just seems like a bad idea - I don't know why and I'm sure it's probably fine. I like the open door idea - I'll have to try that. If they're not going to leave the radio on (and if your on a call the bluetooth with your phone) then they should have a special way turn the car off but leave accessories on - like press and hold the start/stop button for a number of seconds or something.

INRE to the mirror lights coming on when the keyfob is near - mine do that as well. It was sooooo cool the first night I saw it happen

Oh...and I also have to agree with the person above who mentioned the cup holder cover not being lined up/level with the rest of the trim....I mean they make so many other things perfect...why cut a corner there?
I regret reading this thread, I never noticed the cupholder until this morning. At least its not intended to be flush and its a clear elevation. I actually like the function of it that I can keep my phone under the fully closed lid, drinks aren't allowed in my car.
Old 08-28-20, 06:48 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

• In the 2011 Audi A4 I had, the radio's volume would lower when the car was put in reverse.
• I have the F Sport model, but I wish I had the Luxury Package's wooden steering wheel.

Yeah I like the illumination of the door handles on our NX. The handles themselves feel more substantial and modern than on the GS. The GS handles remind me of a 1990's Japanese car for some reason when its paired with the loud unlocking and locking sounds.

I also agree about the volume in reverse. My last car completely cut the sound in reverse which I thought was a great safety feature.
Old 08-28-20, 07:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
Just hold down the lock button on your key fob to close all windows and the sunroof...
Unfortunately this is disabled on North American models. To roll up the windows from the outside, you have to insert the key, turn it, and hold it while they roll up.
Old 08-28-20, 07:34 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Yes, the bottom of my mirrors light up (it's like a dull yellow light), but on my NX, there was a thin white LED light that ran across the length of the door handle. It looked really nice.

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS