GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 06:54 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by volkov
I do really like the car for many reasons, but I do have complaints.
1.Hitting the power button shuts off everything: there are hacks to get around it, but it's a total pita that I can't turn off the engine and keep talking on the phone/listening to a podcast/radio without an awkward workaround. It isn't even a setting option I can change. Every other car I've owned with a push start has this.
2. My B pillar is pitted from the seatbelt handle smacking it. Looks like I locked a stray cat in there that tried to scratch its way out. 3 years old. Again, never had that and we usually keep our vehicles for 8 or more years.
3. Some really basic functions need you to "learn" instead of a designated button. Eg. no "mute" for media, instead you must hold the Media button. Again every other vehicle I've had in the last dozen years had a dedicated mute button on the steering wheel controls. I did find out the function after looking for a while, but my wife or kids as occassional drivers often complained about those things.
Is this what you're referring to? I use this all the time... well not all the time, but fairly regularly.

Old 02-07-19, 08:26 PM
volkov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Is this what you're referring to? I use this all the time... well not all the time, but fairly regularly.

EXACTLY! It took a while but I found it, but why do I have to set that, and then explain it to anyone who might drive my car. My 10 yr old WRX, my f150, wife's Mini - sit down and in 2 secs you see the labelled mute button on the steering wheel that works instantly. I know it's first world problems, but for the money the car should do what you want without having to work/study. User friendly isn't hard.
Old 02-09-19, 12:40 PM
kyuGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

for those who have the option of a heated steering wheel (yes you northern folks)

why didn't they bother to make the entire steering wheel heated? only the 9 and 3 position is heated - turning any corner is always unpleasant... hot... oof cold... cold, hot again...
BAH!
Old 02-09-19, 01:23 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

The piano black plastic on the center console and door switches are dust magnets. A lot of people complain about no a/c button, but it's not needed. It doesn't have an older style a/c compressor with a magnetic clutch that you could hear the "click" as it engages. It has a variable swash plate that internally engages as needed. So essentially its always on, even if you turn the climate system off it adjust the swash plate to the same position as it would if it was too cold outside and the a/c is not needed. So those of you thinking its wasting gas in the winter just leaving it in auto are incorrect. The a/c light might on, but the compressor isn't pumping refrigerant.

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-09-19)
Old 02-09-19, 01:42 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
A lot of people complain about no a/c button, but it's not needed. It doesn't have an older style a/c compressor with a magnetic clutch that you could hear the "click" as it engages. It has a variable swash plate that internally engages as needed. So essentially its always on, even if you turn the climate system off it adjust the swash plate to the same position as it would if it was too cold outside and the a/c is not needed. So those of you thinking its wasting gas in the winter just leaving it in auto are incorrect. The a/c light might on, but the compressor isn't pumping refrigerant.
Never ending discussion topic... sigh. This topic will only likely die when those of us old enough to have cars with the older magnetic clutch tech, also die.

I remember being younger and being amused when the older generation wouldn't "get with it" and clung to the "old way" of doing things... looks like we have some of that on this board (both young guns and stubborn old folks). Even with the magnetic clutch, this old fart never had a use for the AC button anyway, I always just trusted the system. In South Florida, so long as the AC worked, you were happy!
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-09-19)
Old 02-09-19, 03:25 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

^^^^
My senior citizen mom turns off the climate system on her ES as she pulls into the garage and won't turn it back on until after she starts the car. Something about it being too much of a load on the engine as it's cranking. I've tried to tell her the compressor won't engage until after the motor starts, but...........
Old 02-09-19, 04:17 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
^^^^
My senior citizen mom turns off the climate system on her ES as she pulls into the garage and won't turn it back on until after she starts the car. Something about it being too much of a load on the engine as it's cranking. I've tried to tell her the compressor won't engage until after the motor starts, but...........
I'm sort of on this mindset too even though I'm younger. Back in the day this was definitely a thing... turning on the AC when the car started was a bad thing. And you always turned the AC off first before turning the car off. Old habits die hard?
Old 02-09-19, 07:42 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I'm sort of on this mindset too even though I'm younger. Back in the day this was definitely a thing... turning on the AC when the car started was a bad thing. And you always turned the AC off first before turning the car off. Old habits die hard?
In my previous cars if you never turn off the AC and always recirculate the air the system would develop musty, damp stinky smells so I began using outside air almost exclusively and turning off the AC a couple miles from my destination and the smells went away. That's why I wanted a dedicated AC button to know for sure that the damn thing was off and also quite often I'm not that hot and I just want some moving air, not AC air and just blowing in the outside air felt just fine.
Old 02-10-19, 06:59 AM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

-No dedicated spot for sunglasses
​​​​​​-Car doesn’t lock automatically when walking away from it
​​​​​​-No bending headlights
-A little more space for a water bottle in doors would have been great
​​​​​​-Slow opening power trunk

All of the above minor pet peeves compared with the overall satisfaction I feel owning/driving this car.
Old 02-10-19, 09:16 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Miami
-No dedicated spot for sunglasses
​​​​​​-Car doesn’t lock automatically when walking away from it
​​​​​​-No bending headlights
-A little more space for a water bottle in doors would have been great
​​​​​​-Slow opening power trunk

All of the above minor pet peeves compared with the overall satisfaction I feel owning/driving this car.
I really want this feature in the GS.
Our MDX have it and I'm so used to walking away from the car without thinking about locking it.
Already left the GS unlocked many times Doh!
Old 02-11-19, 07:09 AM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Door lock actuators...I’ve been through 7 on my GS350. Done with Lexus for all the issues between the two I’ve had.
Old 02-11-19, 07:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcbooth
Door lock actuators...I’ve been through 7 on my GS350. Done with Lexus for all the issues between the two I’ve had.
Why do your door lock actuators keep failing? Was it covered under the factory warranty? Must be something else going on to cause the failure. I'm 87k on a 2013 GS and never had an issue with door lock actuators. Was the car previously in an accident or flood?
Old 02-11-19, 12:43 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Why do your door lock actuators keep failing? Was it covered under the factory warranty? Must be something else going on to cause the failure. I'm 87k on a 2013 GS and never had an issue with door lock actuators. Was the car previously in an accident or flood?
Nope. Drove it off the lot with 13 miles. Lexus covered the first 3 under warranty and the last 4 were covered as a “courtesy”. Driver, passenger, rear passenger side all twice, and driver rear once. Talked to a Lexus roadside guy and his tundra has had 3 in a year and a half. A GX at the dealership was pulling in for his 13th. It’s something they haven’t been able to explain, one guy said that Toyota has stated that it seems to be with fragrances affecting the actuators which to me is bs...I don’t use those items in the car. Seems to be a Toyota issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-11-19, 12:43 PM
02REX
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I just washed my car for the first time in a while and I am so on board with this. I never noticed how scratched and pitted up my bumper is, it's ridiculous. Should have had it PPF'd.
I bought my car in Sep 2018. drove it home from Richmond, VA to Yorba Linda, CA. one month later had the Modellista front lip installed, and two weeks later had the Paint protection film installed. Best investment ever! especially on a white car! I used touch up paint on the front end before installation. you cant go wrong.
Old 02-11-19, 01:14 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by 02REX
I bought my car in Sep 2018. drove it home from Richmond, VA to Yorba Linda, CA. one month later had the Modellista front lip installed, and two weeks later had the Paint protection film installed. Best investment ever! especially on a white car! I used touch up paint on the front end before installation. you cant go wrong.
Yeah. I already had the entire car ceramic coated though with an expensive coating, so at this point I'll just force myself to ignore it as best I can so I don't feel bad about wasting the money on the ceramic. If ever a time comes to respray or swap the bumper, I absolutely will PPF the thing and then coat it.

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS