GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 08:52 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

HontoKuro, I'm sorry to say but regarding missing features - it sounds like you bought a bogan spec GS. I don't know why they sell them to begin with but that explains why so many features are missing -your choice.
Old 02-14-19, 02:01 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by charley95

Got a lot of strange looks while driving mine home from Texas to Illinois.
I drove a brand new M5 from Milwaukee to Atlanta and before I left, I wrapped the entire front end in vinyl. Not pretty, but functional. Got to ATL, pulled off the vinyl, took it to a DIY touchless car wash, and delivered to the client. No bugs, no chips, no problem. I don't care how silly it may look, tape / vinyl / bubblewrap is totally worth it for the delivery drive.
Old 02-14-19, 02:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Looks like a plane parked on jetway instead of a car in a parking lot.

Salim
A first glance, I thought you had USB with Black hood, I guess you did a good job with the masking tape
Old 02-16-19, 02:51 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
HontoKuro, I'm sorry to say but regarding missing features - it sounds like you bought a bogan spec GS. I don't know why they sell them to begin with but that explains why so many features are missing -your choice.
I think you meant Bogus? My 2015 has every loaded option trim except for HUD and the standard safety features found on later 2016 models. My issue is how they omit and/or are so far behind car technology and features even for a 2015 model compared to the competition offerings. I mean this is my 1st Lexus and not sure I'd ever buy another after this experience but will see as I am not committed to any car brand going forward.
Old 02-16-19, 03:40 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpGent
I drove a brand new M5 from Milwaukee to Atlanta and before I left, I wrapped the entire front end in vinyl. Not pretty, but functional. Got to ATL, pulled off the vinyl, took it to a DIY touchless car wash, and delivered to the client. No bugs, no chips, no problem. I don't care how silly it may look, tape / vinyl / bubblewrap is totally worth it for the delivery drive.
I hope you drove it on a truck and if you didn't why did that person opt to have all those miles put on the car?

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I think you meant Bogus? My 2015 has every loaded option trim except for HUD and the standard safety features found on later 2016 models. My issue is how they omit and/or are so far behind car technology and features even for a 2015 model compared to the competition offerings. I mean this is my 1st Lexus and not sure I'd ever buy another after this experience but will see as I am not committed to any car brand going forward.
When the 13' came out it wasn't really behind, it was pretty current. Your problems stem mostly from the fact that yours was right before the refresh and the feature you want they won't add until the new model comes out. Even then looks like your biggest complaint is infotainment which honestly if you're driving you don't need and if you use navi all systems suck compared to waze anyways. Does BMW have carplay? yea but thats more recent and you have to pay to get access to it (one of the few if not the only that make you pay for it). Stop comparing your car that was released in 12' to cars they were just released, of course its gonna be behind.

Honestly I find the mouse easy to use but the trackpad sucks cause its not 1 to 1. I've driven new BMWs and other with the 360 cameras and higher res backup cameras but I don't find it helpful and really what do you need 1080p on an 8" screen for? you're pretty much asking for 4k in something that doesn't need it to do the job. The only thing I can agree with you on is soft touch close doors. It would have been nice to add it at refresh but again its nothing life changing and if you can't close your door properly to actually use the feature then you got problem. Lexus' problem is their model cycles are pretty much scheduled to come out at competitors refresh cycles so thats why they seem behind
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-16-19)
Old 02-17-19, 07:12 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

^^ This exactly. Technology is moving so fast that except for modular cars like Scion that you can change the sound system every week, the technology will be out dated. Yup, things like Apple Car Play are the bees knees, but that only goes as far as the next phone upgrade/software update that no longer supports your car.

It wont be long now where any used car will have as much value as an android phone or iPad that won’t take an upgrade. It’s why I actually like the infotainment system. It’s separate from the phone for the most part. Most here consider this sac religious, but I like keeping my cars around and pocketing the savings after paid off. Too much of everything is about keeping you ensnared to a monthly bill and cars are quickly heading that way. Everything about them will keep you tethered to an endless payment and all we keep saying is give me more.

My 13 GS and RX will probably be the last time I get an opportunity to drive my cars till they fall apart. The next ones will surely have a built in limp mode function if for some reason it can’t communicate with my phone. We’re not far off of that now!

cant wait for self driving cars to replace windshields with flat panels so we can be watching the game, eating popcorn, while someone hacks the software and drives us off the cliff to our deaths. Hey, at least we had the latest score before impact!
jjkrause1 (05-09-19)
Old 02-17-19, 10:07 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

2013 GS take away power folding mirror and power trunk that the previous generation had.
2014 GS you get power folding mirrors and power trunk introduced as a new feature.
Old 02-17-19, 11:39 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Things I wish the GS had and/or "could do":

Folding rear seats (to accomodate larger items in trunk)
Ability to close trunk with key fob and/or dash button
Better ride quality (currently floaty, yet harsh)
Quieter motor (just installed insulator kit and it helped)
Relocate exterior power trunk button to center of trunk lid
Sync button to instantly have HVAC system sycronize temperature
Cruise speed indicator
Park sensor icon turn off while at speed
Better navigation graphics
Programmable shortcut buttons (example, how many buttons does it take to get to trip data...way too many)
Have the radio volume automatically lower when navigation instructions are being said
Better MMI interface
Better MMI logic (for example, when I am done typing in an address do I REALLY need to move the mouse cursor over the Okay button? In my previous car, the mouse would "snap to" the next logical step which really sped up the entry process)
Do not disallow navigation entries while the car is in motion
Have the stero volume be the same regardless of the source type (it seemed like a good idea at first, but doesn't really work in everyday life)
If the stereo if off, I should be able to press the steering wheel volume button up to turn it back on
Etc.
Old 02-17-19, 11:47 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Angry

my biggest complaint, I CAN'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD KEY for some god forsaken reason they don't have the key available for my 2018...
Old 02-17-19, 12:29 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
I hope you drove it on a truck and if you didn't why did that person opt to have all those miles put on the car?

When the 13' came out it wasn't really behind, it was pretty current. Your problems stem mostly from the fact that yours was right before the refresh and the feature you want they won't add until the new model comes out. Even then looks like your biggest complaint is infotainment which honestly if you're driving you don't need and if you use navi all systems suck compared to waze anyways. Does BMW have carplay? yea but thats more recent and you have to pay to get access to it (one of the few if not the only that make you pay for it). Stop comparing your car that was released in 12' to cars they were just released, of course its gonna be behind.

Honestly I find the mouse easy to use but the trackpad sucks cause its not 1 to 1. I've driven new BMWs and other with the 360 cameras and higher res backup cameras but I don't find it helpful and really what do you need 1080p on an 8" screen for? you're pretty much asking for 4k in something that doesn't need it to do the job. The only thing I can agree with you on is soft touch close doors. It would have been nice to add it at refresh but again its nothing life changing and if you can't close your door properly to actually use the feature then you got problem. Lexus' problem is their model cycles are pretty much scheduled to come out at competitors refresh cycles so thats why they seem behind
That's where you are wrong, I am not comparing my 2015 GS to any current models, in fact I've being comparing it to my own person 2010-2013 BMW models who are leaps and bounds ahead in technology even then to my 2015 GS and in most cases even the current 2019 GS models. Also I never asked for a 4K screen, tell me where I mentioned that? I said the GUI and resolution are horrible compared to my 2012 BMW 5 series which has an even older iDrive system and not even the much better one on current models. Also I did specify not having soft close doors was a nice option to have but not deal breaker.
Old 02-17-19, 12:54 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
That's where you are wrong, I am not comparing my 2015 GS to any current models, in fact I've being comparing it to my own person 2010-2013 BMW models who are leaps and bounds ahead in technology even then to my 2015 GS and in most cases even the current 2019 GS models. Also I never asked for a 4K screen, tell me where I mentioned that? I said the GUI and resolution are horrible compared to my 2012 BMW 5 series which has an even older iDrive system and not even the much better one on current models. Also I did specify not having soft close doors was a nice option to have but not deal breaker.
I'm sorry you hate your car? I'm saying why do you need higher resolution its doesn't really benefit anything other than not being grainy. You're entitled to your own opinions and if you feel like you made a mistake then do something about it, I assume since you're still here you at least still like the car. I've regularly driven newer german and japanese cars from 09 onward and i've never been impressed by anything until semi-autonomous features became available. I see all these other additional features as gimmicks and focus on what I need in my daily drive since we still have to drive and this had what I wanted in comfort and sportiness. I'm with you in that lexus and toyota are behind on tech especially considering they're a japanese manufacturer, but again to me they're all gimmicks that detract from the drive and they're not really innovators, they're perfectors which is shown in their partnership with BMW for the supra. They made sure that engine will never die so maybe that's the car that's for you, its the BMW made to last forever(hopefully)
Old 02-17-19, 01:42 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

@baconRx - I stopped responding to HontoKuro, he seems to be a snobby troll, just look at his post history. I can't fathom how someone buys a car yet complains non-stop about it. We get it, you hate the GS but most people on this forum who bought it, genuinely love it. Constantly comparing it to German cars is not going to win over an audience. Most of us have owned German cars and let out a sigh of relief when riding the reliability of the Lexus. Most of us probably still have our BMW as a secondary yet we don't constantly barrage on how lacking the Lexus is. You bought the wrong car, not our fault.

Last edited by eddie420; 02-17-19 at 03:13 PM.
signdetres (02-17-19)
Old 02-17-19, 02:24 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
@baconRx - I stopped responding to HontoKuro, he seems to be a snobby troll, just look at his post history. I can't phantom how someone buys a car yet complains non-stop about it. We get it, you hate the GS but most people on this forum who bought it, genuinely love it. Constantly comparing it to German cars is not going to win over an audience. Most of us have owned German cars and let out a sigh of relief when riding the reliability of the Lexus. Most of us probably still have our BMW as a secondary yet we don't constantly barrage on how lacking the Lexus is. You bought the wrong car, not our fault.
yea sounds like hes on the wrong forum. on to the real question for you. Can you find a way to retrofit an old credit card key to work on my 2018?
eddie420 (02-17-19)
Old 02-17-19, 02:27 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
yea sounds like hes on the wrong forum. on to the real question for you. Can you find a way to retrofit an old credit card key to work on my 2018?
Hahaha, I wanted one of those. Speaking in the hypothetical, I will look into it; may need to clone an FCC ID but not sure the legality of all this.
Old 02-17-19, 02:29 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hahaha, I wanted one of those. Speaking in the hypothetical, I will look into it; may need to clone an FCC ID but not sure the legality of all this.
I just don't understand why they changed the code for it to not work anymore =( same remotes and everything. it would be so nice cause I don't carry my key on a keychain anyways so I would just have to carry my wallet if i could get it to work =(

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS