GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 06:58 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tomex77
Hate having to say "yes" after giving a voice command.
that’s funny. I keep having to say “no damn it!”
Old 03-11-19, 07:21 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes as I blast the horn in anger, voice command is activated. effin cancel #%^& it!
Old 03-12-19, 08:14 AM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

quick question for you guys - if i turn off the vehicle and for example left the sunroof tilted or window open, is there a way to close them without having to restart the car? I've tried starting without my foot on the brake and it didnt work... am i missing something obvious? thanks in advance guys
Old 03-12-19, 08:18 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you soft press the start button twice it acts like turning the key to accessory and allows radio on and windows/moonroof to be closed etc.
The following users liked this post:
dTxworld (03-12-19)
Old 03-12-19, 08:58 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jessalynn
If you soft press the start button twice it acts like turning the key to accessory and allows radio on and windows/moonroof to be closed etc.
Pushing Start once is 'Accessory'.
Pushing Start twice without pressing the brake is 'On', just as turning a key to the second position without engaging 'Start'.
dTxworld (03-12-19)
Old 03-12-19, 10:15 AM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

very much appreciated - i didnt know about the soft press 2 times part!
Old 03-12-19, 11:48 AM
robm
Driver

The auto wiper setting is not very intuitive. I'm still not certain of the steps required.
Old 03-12-19, 01:31 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by robm
The auto wiper setting is not very intuitive. I'm still not certain of the steps required.
There's one button at the end of the wiper stalk. Press it.
Old 03-12-19, 01:40 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dTxworld
quick question for you guys - if i turn off the vehicle and for example left the sunroof tilted or window open, is there a way to close them without having to restart the car? I've tried starting without my foot on the brake and it didnt work... am i missing something obvious? thanks in advance guys
Just hold the lock button for 3 seconds once outside the vehicle
Old 03-12-19, 01:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
In the US this is not a default setting. You need to use crista or have the dealer program it in.
Old 03-12-19, 02:00 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Do you have to activate that somehow or does it always work. I thought I tried it before and it wouldn't work.

On the wipers, I had to read the manual and that table on the wiper function several times to get a better understanding and I'm still not I've got it figured out.

To activate the auto wiper function, you push the button on the end of the wiper stalk and hold it for several seconds and it will toggle on/off the auto wiper function. The little light on the stalk will blink 5 times or so when you've done this correctly. If you've activated the auto wiper function correctly, when you push once on the button at the end of the stalk the auto wipers will come on and the light on the stalk stays on. If there is no rain the wipers may wipe once and then stop. I'm not sure if the engine must be running to do the actvation or if it can be done in the power "on" but you'll know because the little light won't blink 5 times. When you've activated the auto wipers the variable intermittant function will be deactivated, that is, the one you operate by tilting the stalk down a half press and vary the speed by rotating the ring on the stalk. I don't know why they did this. It makes no sense.
Old 03-12-19, 02:20 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by tomex77
Hate having to say "yes" after giving a voice command.
They changed it. Sat in the 2019 and said "Call Dan" and it started dialing immediately. None of that... "Call.... Dan???".... "YES!!!"
Old 03-12-19, 05:47 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Do you have to activate that somehow or does it always work. I thought I tried it before and it wouldn't work.

On the wipers, I had to read the manual and that table on the wiper function several times to get a better understanding and I'm still not I've got it figured out.

To activate the auto wiper function, you push the button on the end of the wiper stalk and hold it for several seconds and it will toggle on/off the auto wiper function. The little light on the stalk will blink 5 times or so when you've done this correctly. If you've activated the auto wiper function correctly, when you push once on the button at the end of the stalk the auto wipers will come on and the light on the stalk stays on. If there is no rain the wipers may wipe once and then stop. I'm not sure if the engine must be running to do the actvation or if it can be done in the power "on" but you'll know because the little light won't blink 5 times. When you've activated the auto wipers the variable intermittant function will be deactivated, that is, the one you operate by tilting the stalk down a half press and vary the speed by rotating the ring on the stalk. I don't know why they did this. It makes no sense.
When the wipers are in auto mode, the ring on the stalk adjusts the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. If you have it in the highest/top position, this is the most sensitive setting for the wipers. They will wipe more frequently. If you rotate the ring down to the lowest position, the wipers are in their least sensitive setting. They'll let a bit of water build-up before giving you a wipe.
robm (03-12-19)
Old 03-12-19, 06:17 PM
robm
Driver

thallium and signdetres, thanks for the explanation of the auto wiper function. clears up a lot for me.
Old 03-12-19, 09:34 PM
ATLJB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking for 6 months or so, I bought a 2015 AWD F-Sport at Thanksgiving. I had been driving a 2003 E39 manual, and before that a 2007 AWD 5-series Wagon that was also a manual. Comparatively speaking this new car is a rocket ship. That said, while I’ve missed many of the things that others have noted, really my biggest complaint has been the gas mileage. I’ve put 6000 on the car and average about 15.9 to 16.3 miles a gallon in normal mode and without a particularly heavy foot and premium fuel. It’s been a bit of a surprise. Both of the other two cars listed here, driving pretty much the same way I averaged right around 22.5 on miles on regular gas.

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS