GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 09:03 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
i can help you answer this one. As I connect to my OE Bluetooth for phone calls, the entire interface switches over to the OE upon incoming calls. When the call ends, it goes back to VL2. I, sometime, wish I had that screen split so I didn’t have to deal with that. For CarPlay, if the phone is connected to USB, the incoming call shows up on CP first, then, OE Bluetooth takes over. You can’t go back to GROM until the call ends; you’re locked into the OE Bluetooth call. That part is really annoying. So what I ended up doing was completely forgot the Lexus Bluetooth and deal with the VL2 only. On CP calls, the volume seems really low, so I have to crank it up in order to hear it well. Hopefully that’s something GROM can eventually fix along with the Apple Maps being dull and not changing to night mode at night.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you’re playing music via an installed music app (Spotify, Pandora etc...) and the phone is connected and CarPlay is active in the background, you do get the incoming call but the music doesn’t stop when CP window takes over. So that leaves you to circle back to that app and stop the music in order to hear the caller. Just thought I’d share that with you guys.
Interesting...so you can't set GROM to run in split screen mode - to have right 1/3 as OE screen? It's always in Wide Screen mode? In some ways I'm glad I still have right 1/3 screen to change AC controls - mostly to adjust DUAL settings or turn AC on/off. My hands are always resting on the palm rest, it's easier for me to make changes that way than using direct access buttons. But now I find myself using the volume **** more often than steering wheel volume up/down buttons because GROM doesn't have volume overlay/beeping sound. Changing volume with **** is way more intuitive. I hope they can add volume overlay in a future firmware update..the ISF guys have it, why can't we?

Sounds like GROM got some polishing up to do with CarPlay to handle incoming calls more properly (attenuating music volume lower and increase caller volume). I notice Waze sometimes doesn't change to night mode as well. So now I set Waze to always run in Night Mode. Google Maps works fine changing modes automatically.You may want to report these issues to Support so they can work on getting the issues fixed. I'm sure not many MY16+ owners are running GROM.
Old 04-03-19, 07:08 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Interesting...so you can't set GROM to run in split screen mode - to have right 1/3 as OE screen? It's always in Wide Screen mode? In some ways I'm glad I still have right 1/3 screen to change AC controls - mostly to adjust DUAL settings or turn AC on/off. My hands are always resting on the palm rest, it's easier for me to make changes that way than using direct access buttons. But now I find myself using the volume **** more often than steering wheel volume up/down buttons because GROM doesn't have volume overlay/beeping sound. Changing volume with **** is way more intuitive. I hope they can add volume overlay in a future firmware update..the ISF guys have it, why can't we?

Sounds like GROM got some polishing up to do with CarPlay to handle incoming calls more properly (attenuating music volume lower and increase caller volume). I notice Waze sometimes doesn't change to night mode as well. So now I set Waze to always run in Night Mode. Google Maps works fine changing modes automatically.You may want to report these issues to Support so they can work on getting the issues fixed. I'm sure not many MY16+ owners are running GROM.
Wait, The ISF guys have volume overlay?! Do they have photos of how it looks? If yes, can you point me to it?

Yeah man, when VL2 is on, I have no idea what's happening on the OEM as far as volume or climate control on the screen. I wish they had it setup more like the OEM map showing the volume and climate overlay on the top and that other options being constant on the right side if you want to change your climate etc... Here are some pictures at what the OEM map looks like on full screen with them. The volume and climate only show up when you use them on the radio as an overlay.

Last edited by c2fordy5; 04-03-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 09:07 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

So i just finished setting up the VL2 last night and installed carplay. Does the audio only come out the front speakers? Currently when playing music or using any audio from carplay the audio only comes the front center and front left and right speakers, NO AUDIO from the front or rear door speakers or the sub. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere? @gromaudio
Old 04-03-19, 09:17 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by bob256k
So i just finished setting up the VL2 last night and installed carplay. Does the audio only come out the front speakers? Currently when playing music or using any audio from carplay the audio only comes the front center and front left and right speakers, NO AUDIO from the front or rear door speakers or the sub. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere? @gromaudio
Audio works just fine for me on CarPlay, though I have the ML system. I’m not sure if that would make a difference. The only setting that’s available for the CarPlay plugin is to change it to automatically or manually. So you may have to contact support for that one. The only problem I have with sound on CarPlay is on calls. It is really low. Have you tried the apple maps? Does it change to night mode for you?
Old 04-03-19, 09:31 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Audio works just fine for me on CarPlay, though I have the ML system. I’m not sure if that would make a difference. The only setting that’s available for the CarPlay plugin is to change it to automatically or manually. So you may have to contact support for that one. The only problem I have with sound on CarPlay is on calls. It is really low. Have you tried the apple maps? Does it change to night mode for you?
The calls seem fine ,I'll have to try calling from the car, i called my wife in the car and she was loud and clear, a little echo, but the phone fixed it mostly as the call continued. Apple Maps is in dark mode, this was during the day time. Why, am not sure.

I also have the ML audio system, I have contacted GROM. hopefully they can fix this because this is truly a deal breaker for me , especially if the OEM screen is glitching as well.
Old 04-03-19, 02:59 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

The calls seem fine ,I'll have to try calling from the car, i called my wife in the car and she was loud and clear, a little echo, but the phone fixed it mostly as the call continued. Apple Maps is in dark mode, this was during the day time. Why, am not sure.

I also have the ML audio system, I have contacted GROM. hopefully they can fix this because this is truly a deal breaker for me , especially if the OEM screen is glitching as well.
Bob did you request GROM to send you out a replacement wiring harness? I have the screen glitches too and my two start up issue. I'm wondering of my harness too is bent like you described above. Did GROM give you a hard time with getting a replacement harness? I'm wondering if I can ask them to send me a new harness send my OEM screen is flashing/blinking too. I haven't yet had the time to open up my dash to check if the cables are sitting in tightly. That could be the culprit too.
Old 04-03-19, 03:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Wait, The ISF guys have volume overlay?! Do they have photos of how it looks? If yes, can you point me to it?

Yeah man, when VL2 is on, I have no idea what's happening on the OEM as far as volume or climate control on the screen. I wish they had it setup more like the OEM map showing the volume and climate overlay on the top and that other options being constant on the right side if you want to change your climate etc... Here are some pictures at what the OEM map looks like on full screen with them. The volume and climate only show up when you use them on the radio as an overlay.
Yeah, the ISF have volume overlay. I forgot where I saw it, pretty sure in one of GROM's demo videos. You can search for it on their YouTube channel.
Lack of information overlay (volume, climate control) is a bummer. You have to guess where your volume is at and hope the other input is not too loud risking blowing out your speakers or eardrum! We should all ask GROM to add this to next firmware..how hard can it be. They're already hacked the steering buttons.
Old 04-03-19, 04:19 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Bob did you request GROM to send you out a replacement wiring harness? I have the screen glitches too and my two start up issue. I'm wondering of my harness too is bent like you described above. Did GROM give you a hard time with getting a replacement harness? I'm wondering if I can ask them to send me a new harness send my OEM screen is flashing/blinking too. I haven't yet had the time to open up my dash to check if the cables are sitting in tightly. That could be the culprit too.
I just got the replacement cable today,and I will need to tear apart the car again and swap and test. Honestly GROM has been great with the support, they even helped me troubleshoot my installation with the audio and tried using a known good VL2 to verufy the issue was not my unit. Even though the cable is bad, so far they seem like they are trying to make it right.

maybe after all this is said and done I'll make a howto for the Grom VL2 install in a GS350 , as a small favor to @gromaudio , given I can get this thing working properly.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-03-19)
Old 04-03-19, 04:29 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ugh. Second bsod in 5 days. What firmware are you guys on?
Old 04-03-19, 05:08 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I just got the replacement cable today,and I will need to tear apart the car again and swap and test. Honestly GROM has been great with the support, they even helped me troubleshoot my installation with the audio and tried using a known good VL2 to verufy the issue was not my unit. Even though the cable is bad, so far they seem like they are trying to make it right.

maybe after all this is said and done I'll make a howto for the Grom VL2 install in a GS350 , as a small favor to @gromaudio , given I can get this thing working properly.
Good to know that extra $520 you spent on VL2 got you great customer service and tech support. The hardware is only worth $80 right Let us know if the new cable works better. I will request a replacement cable. Did they sent you both the Display and Radio Harness replacement?

Originally Posted by medsaver
Ugh. Second bsod in 5 days. What firmware are you guys on?
I'm on VCore: V20VL1.4.0.0 VBASE: 32.18(24). Maybe you got a bad cable too like Bob and me. Did you check that all the cable harness are sitting tight?
Old 04-03-19, 05:12 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I pull all this stuff to replace the cable I'd like to know that this is actually the issue. As far as connector tightness, yes they seem to be seated very firmly. So firmly I had a hard time unplugging them.
Old 04-03-19, 05:15 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by medsaver
Before I pull all this stuff to replace the cable I'd like to know that this is actually the issue. As far as connector tightness, yes they seem to be seated very firmly. So firmly I had a hard time unplugging them.
I'd suggest you call GROM to troubleshoot. It's more likely a bad cable as they make these harnesses by hand. Maybe something is not soldered tight.
Old 04-04-19, 06:52 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Yeah, the ISF have volume overlay. I forgot where I saw it, pretty sure in one of GROM's demo videos. You can search for it on their YouTube channel.
Lack of information overlay (volume, climate control) is a bummer. You have to guess where your volume is at and hope the other input is not too loud risking blowing out your speakers or eardrum! We should all ask GROM to add this to next firmware..how hard can it be. They're already hacked the steering buttons.
So I contacted support about the CarPlay night mode and they sent an update that fixed it. I still feel like the volume is extremely low on phone calls. My request was a lengthy one with pictures of the OEM overlay features and side screens and they told me they're going to get a similar car and see if they can have info displayed in the VLine screen. So Let's cross our fingers on that one. @bob256k, what year is your GS? I was curious if someone else with the full 12.3 display option is on here. I'm pretty much a loner as far as I know.
Old 04-04-19, 09:43 AM
bob256k
Instructor

So I contacted support about the CarPlay night mode and they sent an update that fixed it. I still feel like the volume is extremely low on phone calls. My request was a lengthy one with pictures of the OEM overlay features and side screens and they told me they're going to get a similar car and see if they can have info displayed in the VLine screen. So Let's cross our fingers on that one. @bob256k, what year is your GS? I was curious if someone else with the full 12.3 display option is on here. I'm pretty much a loner as far as I know.
I have a 2015 12.3 screen. I think the reason phone calls on carplay is low due to the call only coming from the front center left and right speakers on the dash. I tested it today with a meeting and itunes music, and the call only comes from the dash speakers, while audio from your itunes library come from all speakers. The itunes audio still comes from the front too much, and not nearly enough from the back, and they NEEED to add the ability to get the OEM screen settings for the AUX input back, as you cannot change any OEM audio settings for the GROM's AUX input with it installed, as you cant see them. You have to disconnect everything and then reconnect you aux input box. And my OEM screen is still glitching not as bad, but still bad, as the original cable was absolutely unusable. @gromaudio
Old 04-04-19, 10:04 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

You are the lone wolf with wide screen display for GROM. Hope they can get overlays working.

I have a 2015 12.3 screen. I think the reason phone calls on carplay is low due to the call only coming from the front center left and right speakers on the dash. I tested it today with a meeting and itunes music, and the call only comes from the dash speakers, while audio from your itunes library come from all speakers. The itunes audio still comes from the front too much, and not nearly enough from the back, and they NEEED to add the ability to get the OEM screen settings for the AUX input back, as you cannot change any OEM audio settings for the GROM's AUX input with it installed, as you cant see them. You have to disconnect everything and then reconnect you aux input box. And my OEM screen is still glitching not as bad, but still bad, as the original cable was absolutely unusable. @gromaudio
Caller volume usually come in front speakers only doesn't it? At least that's how I remember it works before. I know voice prompts from WAZE/Maps only comes thru front driver speaker. I don't really care if rear speakers don't work for calls, my passengers don't need to hear my conversations. For Music I hear it louder in the front speakers than rears. I may need to adjust fader settings in OEM interface for AUX input to balance it out better. Sad to hear you are still getting screen glitches with new cables. Mine is same, glitches are not bad once VL2 is fully booted up and I never use OEM screen anymore, so I guess I will just live with it. GROM insist on getting a video of my BSOD issue. But it is nearly impossible to do because it is an intermittent issue. Do they expect me to video my car starting up every SINGLE time!?

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed