GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 08:37 PM
NetEditor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between this and R1 Concepts, man, what's going on with QC?
Old 04-05-19, 08:58 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Kinda sucks. Don’t think GROM intended to use defective cables. It’s probably their Chinese vendors.

oh well. I think it’s been almost 18 months since VL2 release, which means GROM will probably go silent. Mark my words..
Old 04-06-19, 09:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I work in the electrical field too but with both low and high voltage.
eddie420 - What kind of electrical equipment do you work with?

Last edited by bclexus; 04-06-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 04:12 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
eddie420 - What kind of electrical equipment do you work with?
Switchgear, switchboards, generator paralleling, load curtailment, etc.
Old 04-09-19, 09:12 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

So GROM responded to my flickering/blinking issue in OE interface. They said I may need to re-route my harness to a different location to avoid interference with factory harnesses. That pretty much confirmed their cable lack appropriate shielding. I'm not going to open up my dash again. Will just live with this issue, I rarely use OE interface anymore anyways. Still no word on my BSOD issue, though VL2 have been rock solid last couple of weeks no real complaints. @bob256k any word back on your issues?
Old 04-09-19, 11:12 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

I am planning on having them work on the harness this week. I might try to fix the harness myself, as I have the resources. If i do fix it, ill post how to wire it and where to get the parts , or how to modify you existing wiring harness from Grom to get the shielding better.

Also I discovered that Airplay does work; you have to go to the Android settinsg , got to cast, then goto the three dots and click the checkbox " enable wireless display" and then you can cast from your Iphone to the screen. You need a fast network connection if you are playing any video or audio however.

So i went on a roadtrip with the VL2 , and i guess ill keep it, @gromaudio does have some work to do however. As long as they can fix the bugs, ill be ok. I was just upset about spending $600 and getting some bad wiring; they need to realize at that price point you are basically going to be compared to Pioneer and the like, as that's how much their radios cost, it doesn't matter if they make something for our cars or not, that's the level of quality people are going to expect.

Also as a side note, Pioneer and Panasonic are the OEMs that make the OE Headunit and USB interface. It makes no sense that they would not release a lexus approved carplay upgrade, but i digress. At least with VL2 i get YoutubeTV lol !
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 11:17 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob256k
I am planning on having them work on the harness this week. I might try to fix the harness myself, as I have the resources. If i do fix it, ill post how to wire it and where to get the parts , or how to modify you existing wiring harness from Grom to get the shielding better.

Also I discovered that Airplay does work; you have to go to the Android settinsg , got to cast, then goto the three dots and click the checkbox " enable wireless display" and then you can cast from your Iphone to the screen. You need a fast network connection if you are playing any video or audio however.

So i went on a roadtrip with the VL2 , and i guess ill keep it, @gromaudio does have some work to do however. As long as they can fix the bugs, ill be ok. I was just upset about spending $600 and getting some bad wiring; they need to realize at that price point you are basically going to be compared to Pioneer and the like, as that's how much their radios cost, it doesn't matter if they make something for our cars or not, that's the level of quality people are going to expect.

Also as a side note, Pioneer and Panasonic are the OEMs that make the OE Headunit and USB interface. It makes no sense that they would not release a lexus approved carplay upgrade, but i digress. At least with VL2 i get YoutubeTV lol !

Would you please..please make a How-To to add a hard reset button? I'd rather press a button to hard reboot VL2 when I do experience a rare BSOD then yanking on the harness. I know nothing about making wiring harness, if I can add a reset button, I'd be 100% happy with my unit.
Old 04-09-19, 11:42 AM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed. I'm not going to go rewiring the harness but would be interested in a hard reset button.
Old 04-09-19, 11:50 AM
bob256k
Instructor

I'll try but it all depends on whether @gromaudio supplies that information. I would ask them directly for it as well.
Old 04-09-19, 11:56 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

I already asked them for hard reset button and volume overlay they pretty much ignored me. they probably don't want the user messing with the wiring harness.
Old 04-10-19, 09:42 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I surprisingly attempted to use AirPlay yesterday and it worked. I didn't have to do anything with android in the settings. It just worked. Maybe they fixed that through an update. I noticed that audio is very staticky as I tried it.
Old 04-10-19, 09:45 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
I surprisingly attempted to use AirPlay yesterday and it worked. I didn't have to do anything with android in the settings. It just worked. Maybe they fixed that through an update. I noticed that audio is very staticky as I tried it.

yeah i saw the same static-y audio and video when trying to play a slideshow. I guess it is technically not released yet so ill chill. Not sure how to fix it,i have a wifi switch that support 11n in my car, and thats supposed to be fast enough, though 11ac is better.
Old 04-10-19, 09:52 AM
bob256k
Instructor

In other news, i fixed my glitching screen and the problem was the workmanship of the cable. I cut off the displayport end, cleaned everything up and after figuring out the pinout, re-rolled @gromaudio 's cable and everything was perfect once i put everything back together. Ill post pictures and instructions later, I'm at work and the WAF ( wife acceptanc factor) is quickly going negative in this project, so I gotta lay low on it this week...
Old 04-10-19, 10:08 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

In other news, i fixed my glitching screen and the problem was the workmanship of the cable. I cut off the displayport end, cleaned everything up and after figuring out the pinout, re-rolled @gromaudio 's cable and everything was perfect once i put everything back together. Ill post pictures and instructions later, I'm at work and the WAF ( wife acceptanc factor) is quickly going negative in this project, so I gotta lay low on it this week...
LOL, I know what you mean. My wife thinks I'm crazy spending so much on mods and washing the car every weekend.
Good to know that it was indeed GROM poor cable shielding that was causing the glitches. They played down this issue with me, saying that any cables would have interference if routed too close to another cables. I have installed plenty of aftermarket radios from Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and never had any interference issues. Wish they would admit their cables are faulty and send our replacement. Let us know when/if you can figure out adding a hard reset button.
Old 04-10-19, 10:35 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

yeah i saw the same static-y audio and video when trying to play a slideshow. I guess it is technically not released yet so ill chill. Not sure how to fix it,i have a wifi switch that support 11n in my car, and thats supposed to be fast enough, though 11ac is better.
So you don't run a hotspot through your phone? Meaning you have a separate wifi plan for your car? I wonder how expensive and effective that is. But yeah, Airplay looks like something they're working on. So let's cut them some slack a little lol

Last edited by c2fordy5; 04-10-19 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed